Father of Serpents

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:16 PM

I currently have no wins on Yig, but it's only 2-0, unlike my continual frustration with Shub-Niggurath. This is my first real solo attempt at Yig, and I have to say it's not that Yig is hard, but so much that I just can't seem to get the right rolls. You really can't flop a roll two or three turns in a row and still have any hope of winning.  It's also made me realize that while I really love the game, I hate the end game. Instead of a tight, suspenseful struggle to the end, it mostly just drags into inevitable defeat; I feel like I have more forfeits than real losses. It's exhausting.

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,268 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:12 AM

That's one of the things I don't like in Eldritch too: the second half of the game, and especially the final quarter, seems like an incredible / improbable rush against time and adverse odds. It's very difficult you're in control of the board for the whole game, and in the end you try to win (or you lose) trying just to dodge the biggest bullets and score the missing clues / requirement for the mysteries, and it's rarely fun (even in case of a victory), while the first half of the game is a lot of fun, instead.

On the one hand, I do like the idea of the growing power of the Mythos that are, by no means, something to take easy; on the other hand, the last part of the game it's often so frustrating and demoralizing that even when you win, the general feeling is "I survived another apocalypse" instead of "wow, what a blast, let's do it again".

Maybe it's just not my game, dunno.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,268 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:14 AM

As per Yig, I'm 1-1. Curious that the victory was scored during Final Battle, with Diana nuking the cultists, and all the others working on the big serpent. The game I lost, on the other hand, had a +7 doomers in just one single round, that transformed a declared victory in an epic defeat (we weren't able to pass the damn rumor requiring to encounter the space the rumor was in as if it had a gate: out of nine attempts, we never succeeded)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#4 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:57 PM

Yig is hard yes. I won only once. Was lucky with a cursed I roll 3 times 6 and kill him

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#5 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:53 PM

That's one of the things I don't like in Eldritch too: the second half of the game, and especially the final quarter, seems like an incredible / improbable rush against time and adverse odds. It's very difficult you're in control of the board for the whole game, and in the end you try to win (or you lose) trying just to dodge the biggest bullets and score the missing clues / requirement for the mysteries, and it's rarely fun (even in case of a victory), while the first half of the game is a lot of fun, instead.

On the one hand, I do like the idea of the growing power of the Mythos that are, by no means, something to take easy; on the other hand, the last part of the game it's often so frustrating and demoralizing that even when you win, the general feeling is "I survived another apocalypse" instead of "wow, what a blast, let's do it again".

Maybe it's just not my game, dunno.

See that's the thing. A tense ending is good in my mind...it means the game is fair. A game that is tense towards the end means there isn't really an obvious winner. My problem is so many games of Eldritch hit a point where it is simply mathematically impossible to win. Then it's simply a long, slow slide into defeat, and you can never really get out. of it. Every turn either things stay roughly the same, or get worse. Once you have started losing, you will never recover. I have more forfeits than any other kind of loss because I can look at the board and know that winning has become impossible. The long slow inevitable slide of despair might be thematic for Lovecraft...but is it fun? I'm starting to think not.

#6 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:53 PM

Also, why does the Hound of Tindalos hate Charlie so much? EVERY GAME CHARLIE DIES TO THAT THING.

#7 ricedwlit

ricedwlit

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:14 PM

Regarding Hound: For whatever reason I just don't see this monster all that often.  Now the Mi-Go is another matter - darn thing going around and eating up all the clues ...

Back to game theme: I really like that the game isn't over till it's over. I've had games that started off poorly (people failing simple rolls, not finishing first mystery until over half the deck is gone) that then turned around with the stars aligning for the investigators (for once).  And then there are games you think are in the bag ... and then you move the mythos have you move the omen back and forward and all of sudden the Azathoth is awake and game over.

Of course, all of this is possible due to the increased luck in the game (as noted in initial reviews).  The trick is planning correctly.  One of the biggest ones for me is not assuming things will happen in one encounter (be it getting a clue, closing a gate, or killing a monster).  Bring backup (either at the one site, or by planning in parallel).  And don't overlook the investigator special abilities!

#8 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:41 AM

Yig is really hard AO. I won only once with 2 investigator. Cannot win with 1 or 3! Just cannot!  I love to play 3 investigator since is make a game more hard but this damn YIg………He is really tough one! Cannot make it for now….but i will try more…..

#9 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:05 AM

OK I Won against Yig with a 4 Investigator. With 4 actually is much easier play then with 3!  Cool game i was on the edge anyway!  Still need to win with 3 heroes……..

#10 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,268 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:26 PM

Congrats!

#11 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:36 PM

Congrats!

Thanks. 

Hey Julia as i understood you are veteran of AH. There is will be new expansion for AH officially or FFG done with AH?  

#12 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,268 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:15 AM

No idea buddy, really. I do hope that sooner or later something will come, but I think we can't do anything but crossing fingers and waiting for an official announcement.

#13 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:49 AM

No idea buddy, really. I do hope that sooner or later something will come, but I think we can't do anything but crossing fingers and waiting for an official announcement.

year ago i play AH and i really like it. That how i got to Lovcraft world and so on. But then EH was announce and i pay attention to EH. I bought it and i love it. AH looks more silly for me since there is a lot of stuff what is not necessary  and some mechanic compare EH looks a bit rust. Now  i play  EH a lot and get boring a bit so i start to Look on AH again since there is a lot of Expansions…….. 

#14 ricedwlit

ricedwlit

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:54 AM

As a veteran AH player (with all the expansions), let me be the first to recommend trying it out.  Yes, EH does some things better ... but in many other ways AH does others things better. I'll stop at that comparison - go read other threads for more info on pros/cons.  The two games do manage to complement each other;  the main reason I stopped playing AH was lack of time and so, even though EH is not a short game, it manages to be just enough shorter (especially set/up tear down) that I'm willing to take the time to play it.  I'll never get rid of AH though since at some point I'll have more time and/or the urge to embrace the madness will overtake me.

If you do decide to go with AH, start with just the base game. Once you learn how to beat it consistently (and knowing you, it won't take long), toss in either Dunwich Horror or Innsmouth Horror - either of this will bring back the difficulty.  And over time, you'll want to get them all - I'd say Miskatonic Horror for last since it's an really an expansion for the expansions and addressed many of the dilution efforts that appear when you use many expansions at once in AH.

Bringing this back to the topic at hand. Yes, Yig is tough.  I've managed to win once (out of five games) and that was real close game.  

Edited by ricedwlit, 03 July 2014 - 11:56 AM.

• Glaurung likes this

#15 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,268 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:23 PM

I second Ricedwlit's post. There are some things EH does better than AH, and other things in AH that are better. Also, especially in earlier Arkham, the theme is impressive: even after 350 plays, some encounters still give me goosebumps.

The two games are complementary the one to another, indeed; and they are different enough to not be a duplicate

• Glaurung likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS