• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#21 magadizer

magadizer

2014 X-wing Store Championship Participant

• Members
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:34 PM

Seriously though, this is exciting to hear. It makes me eager to get mine soon and put them through their paces.
Be seeing you.

#22 Joe Boss Red Seven

Joe Boss Red Seven

• Members
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:39 PM

Sorry,KO, everyone knows that these are overcosted and DOA without having played with them. Your experience with actual table time is nothing next to uninformed speculation. Also, FFG only makes good things for Rebels, so the idea that one of these is viable is prima facie false.
Everyone else, you may return to your regularly scheduled doomsaying.

How dare you!!! I will now go and kill my stupid little self...and it will be all your fault!!!

:lol:

I hate you, I despise you...I want to murderize you!

:P

I think I am going to have to buy three of the glorious Defenders...at least three!

:D

"There Is No Such Thing As Luck." BLACK SIX RED SEVEN

STAR WARS is far more than three thirty year old films. FFG intends for X-Wing to thrive, thus it will be more also... PERIOD.

^_^ BLACK...  :D SUN... :lol: RISES!!!
ALLIANCE: [A-WING: 3][B-WING: 3][E-WING: 3][HWK-290: 2][X-WING: 6][Y-WING: 6][Z-95: 6][YT-1300: 1] EMPIRE: [TIE ADVANCED: 1][TIE BOMBER: 3][TIE DEFENDER: 3][TIE FIGHTER: 5][TIE INTERCEPTOR: 6][TIE PHANTOM: 3][FIRESPRAY-31: 1][SHUTTLE-LAMBDA: 1] SCUM: [FIRESPRAY-31: 1][HWK-290: 2][IG-2000: ][M3-A: ][STAR VIPER: ][Y-WING: ][Z-95: ]

#23 Myranda

Myranda

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:54 PM

The Defender was always my favourite ship in the SW universe, so I was always going to get some... now it turns out they're not as bad as (some) people made out at first... I'm happy

• The Amazing Flight Lizard likes this

#24 Wookie Hunter

Wookie Hunter

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:14 PM

I did won one also, and hope to learn to use it well. As a critic of the cost, i hope to grow to love it. However, I still think the Hawk is ugly as hell.

You absolutely must get this done to your hawk then.  Its awesome.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item43c950e3d2

8 Tie Fighter's, 2 Tie Advanced, 4 Tie Interceptor's, 4 Royal Guard Tie Interceptor's, 2 Firespray 31's, 2 Shuttle's, 5 Tie Bomber's, 1 Tie Defender, 1 Tie Phantom

7 X-Wing's, 2 Y-Wing's, 4 A-Wing's, 2 YT-1300's, 4 B-Wing's, 3 Hawk 290's, 1 Rebel Transport, 1 Corellian Corvette

and counting......

#25 Jon D

Jon D

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:41 PM

Good to read this. Just about any ship is good in this game, but some get played stupidly and are then branded as a lemon.
:rolleyes:

Except the Advanced. Poor guy.

Even the Advanced has a place, it's just smaller than most.
  • Joe Boss Red Seven likes this

#26 EvaUnit02

EvaUnit02

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:10 PM

I've been playing around with all 4 Defenders for the past week, and I have to say that they are absolute beasts on the table.  Equipped with Engine Upgrade and an HLC they murder pretty much everybody.  They are extraordinarily expensive, to be sure, but any less and they would be terribly OP.

The Defender is easily the best Cannon ship in the game at the moment.  There isn't a turn where you aren't hitting somebody with your HLC/Ion, except for the 1 in 4 times when you are point blank and about to put 4 dice primaries into their face.  Other ships struggle to keep ships in front of them and/or at range, the Defender does not.

The dial is amazing.  No really, it is.  Except for the 1 straight, it has EVERY other maneuver.  The white K-Turn is very, very useful, allowing you to substitute a 180 plus boost for short turns, when the 3 turn is too large.  The combination of K-Turn plus boost/barrel roll or K-Turn plus focus and hit with HLC against a stressed opponent is murderous.  The full suite of high-speed maneuvers plus boost/barrel-roll makes you very unpredictable, and lets you cover tons of ground.  The much maligned green selection is actually very useful, because it is hard to block everything from a 2 to a 5 straight, whereas it is relatively easy to put a single ship in a spot that would block 1, 2 straight and at least one of the 1 banks.

Too many doubters here, basing their opinion on the way past ships are played.  If you treat your Defender like an Interceptor or TIE, you will be disappointed.  But if you get a little practice with them and start maneuvering them like Defenders, you will be as pleased as I am.

What lists have you run with the Defender?

#27 MajorJuggler

MajorJuggler

• Members
  • 2,151 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:36 PM

Good to read this. Just about any ship is good in this game, but some get played stupidly and are then branded as a lemon.

Yes, on the shelf or in its foam.  :D

I'm greatly pleased that the Defender isn't as bad as initially feared! 41 points on a single ship - that's Falcon territory!

#28 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:38 PM

Vader is still good (looking forward to using him with Outmaneuver), thus the Advanced has a place.

#29 ID X T

ID X T

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:54 PM

I still wish boost was included standard.  I just can't see using it without it, but that is 4 points more on top of an already crazy expensive ship.

#30 phild0

phild0

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:56 PM

Don't forget thay the Defender is tough to kill!

Not to mention the model is the most menacing thing in the game. I think the fear factor it strikes is worth using. Just so cool looking.
  • Damoel, AndiOne, Revanchist and 2 others like this

#31 MajorJuggler

MajorJuggler

• Members
  • 2,151 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:25 PM

Not to mention the model is the most menacing thing in the game. I think the fear factor it strikes is worth using. Just so cool looking.

Yeah, from the the Imdar pics I have seen it's pretty sweet, better than the previews even.

#32 Jagd

Jagd

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:25 PM

I did won a defender at Imdaar and had the chance to play with it, I lost only one game with it, my first one since the ship was totally new and I did a huge mistake . Other 2 games that I have played with it was against 2 solid Rebel list, one being Han shoot first and 2x B.

My list against Han was this one (which I think is the most reliable build) :

- Delta + HLC
- Howl + ST
- Mauler + ST
- Academy x 2

100 pts

I Split my force in 2 having Mauler and the Delta together and the other 3 Ties Together.. Mauler and Delta shoots at 7 PS. The Huge difference here, is that at the end, when I had my 1 hull Academy left with my unscathed Defender, is that at range 3 the Falcon is 3 dice against my 4 evade, BUT when I shoot it's 4 dice against 1 evade! :-P

The Falcon when down in 3 turn and I had lost 1 shield... The defender is truly a Falcon killer.

I have another build who totally raped 3 Elite Rebel ships last night, more risky but really fun to play! :

- Rexler + Pred + HLC + Shield
- Boba + Nav + Ion cannon + PtL

99 pts

Boba with the navigator is So much better than any other named Firespray. The ability to not get blocked when you should be, is what helped me kill Wedge when otherwise with Scarlett I would have been blocked with no Action. At the same time Rexler Kturn and thanks To Predator I rerolled instead of using my focus , 3 hits that were now all crits, cripled the Rebel ship and it was game 2 turns after...

The ability to shoot at 4 dice at range 3 and that 1 time out of 2, you are not getting shot at, but when you get shot you have 4 evade dice. That coupled with 4 shields and 3 hull, means that if you pilot well, your Defender will most of the time, be the one still flying when all the other ships will be out!

Edited by Jagd, 06 June 2014 - 10:24 PM.

• EvaUnit02 likes this

#33 Gundog8324

Gundog8324

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:45 PM

Sorry, all four as in Delta, Onyx, Vessery, and Rexler.  :-)

I do have 2, but Defenders are so expensive there is really no practical way to play both at the same time.

Vader+EU+Outmaneuver

2 Onyx

3 Ships 17 Hull with 3 agility probably the equivalent of 6 Ties in survivability (due to 8 being shields to reduce crits to fudge that last HP)

Of course there are probably plenty of better uses for 36pts than Vader, I just think you give the "best" Imperial pilot( in the EU) and flank him with the "Best" ships in the EU and will be a fun build

#34 Jagd

Jagd

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:47 PM

My next build will be:

- Vessery + HLC + Outmaneuver + Shield
- Jonus + Determination + Flechette +
- Scimitar + Flechette + Cluster + Concussion

100 pts.

That one screams Alpha Strike and should get an opposing ship killed on first contact. Having with Vessery and Jonus, 2 rerolls on top of the TL that he will be getting (thanks to Jonus and the Scimitar TL) + his focus... That sounds pretty much like an auto 4 hits. Now the Flechette for stressing the opposing ship, preparing it for that dreaded white Kturn on the next turn! :-D

Edited by Jagd, 06 June 2014 - 09:52 PM.

#35 Jagd

Jagd

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:55 PM

I do have 2, but Defenders are so expensive there is really no practical way to play both at the same time.

Vader+EU+Outmaneuver
2 Onyx

3 Ships 17 Hull with 3 agility probably the equivalent of 6 Ties in survivability (due to 8 being shields to reduce crits to fudge that last HP)

Of course there are probably plenty of better uses for 36pts than Vader, I just think you give the "best" Imperial pilot( in the EU) and flank him with the "Best" ships in the EU and will be a fun build

Try daredevil instead of Outmaneuver on Vader, pretty nasty! He can turn on a dime! ;-)

#36 Gundog8324

Gundog8324

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:06 PM

I'm 0-2 with mine but like it.  Maybe I just haven't figured out how to fly that well with it.

I'm 3-0 in a list I am running with Rexlar, the trick is finding a ships to fit around them.  Also accepting the fact that its a costly ship, and there is no amazing way to "keep it cheap" so you might as well embrace it(I view the Phantoms and E-wings the same way).  That was my philosophy at the Imdaar Alpha top table the time I made it there, I had 79pts combined tied up in Whisper with the bells and Rexlar with predator and it seemed to work fairly well until i made a mistake and had a very unlucky round of rolling. 

#37 Gundog8324

Gundog8324

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:08 PM

Vader+EU+Outmaneuver
2 Onyx

Try daredevil instead of Outmaneuver on Vader, pretty nasty! He can turn on a dime! ;-)

A definite possibility but I just thought Outmaneuver would help alleviate the weaker offensive abilities of the Advanced compared to the Defenders (and Vader with EU is probably the easiest ship to take advantage of it)

• blade_mercurial likes this

#38 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:56 AM

Yeah. "Underneath the rest of my pilot cards".

• Rakky Wistol likes this

#39 Hatebringer

Hatebringer

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:34 AM

I wonder how a list stacked with defenders would fare vs bwing heavy list.

#40 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:38 AM

I wonder how a list stacked with defenders would fare vs bwing heavy list.

Well, how many of each? Two named pilots v. two named pilots, or the low PS ones or what? what armaments? Because if even low skill Defenders get ion cannons, the B-wings are screwed.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS