FFG Developer Answered Questions

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 Poseur

Poseur

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:00 PM

The aswer was too long (if do you want I will post it) 

Oh, yes please do. I want to read that stuff =)

#42 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:56 PM

Split the force-related questions into their own category and added Dono's questions:

Spoiler

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#43 Desslok

Desslok

• Members
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:27 AM

So thanks to the other thread, I asked Sam if someone could have both Signature specializations:

Spoiler

#44 Josep Maria

Josep Maria

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:03 AM

A bit late sorry, this was tha answer to "concept question" about minion hit %

Spoiler

Edited by Josep Maria, 08 September 2014 - 09:04 AM.

Be brave and listen to your heart.

5,935 Profile Views.

#45 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:19 PM

Just curious, is there a reason for using the "Spoiler" tag?

Surely developer answers to questions about the game aren't spoilers? It makes it difficult to scan the thread.

EOTE Styles and Dice Symbols for Obsidian Portal

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

#46 Josep Maria

Josep Maria

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:38 PM

Just because sometimes the "Question/Answer" is too long I supose :D

Also the Spoiler button is cool XD

Edited by Josep Maria, 08 September 2014 - 02:39 PM.

• Col. Orange, willmanx and Desslok like this

5,935 Profile Views.

#47 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:31 PM

I guess :) It just means I can't really browse the questions and answers.

• Josep Maria likes this

EOTE Styles and Dice Symbols for Obsidian Portal

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

#48 Desslok

Desslok

• Members
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:37 PM

I did it because all the cool kids were doing it.

• Col. Orange, willmanx and Josep Maria like this

#49 Josep Maria

Josep Maria

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 01:07 AM

Hi everyone!

Here goes a clarification about "Force Push".

Spoiler

Do you prefer this posts without spoiler button? What do you think people?

Edited by Josep Maria, 14 September 2014 - 01:07 AM.

5,935 Profile Views.

#50 knasserII

knasserII

• Members
  • 746 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 03:12 AM

Hi everyone!

Here goes a clarification about "Force Push".

Spoiler

Do you prefer this posts without spoiler button? What do you think people?

Huh. Really weird. I had taken Bind to be the Force Push power. It stops people in their tracks, can move them around and the Disorient is a kind of knock-down. So if Bind isn't Force Pauh, what is it? I get the Dark Side version is Force Choke but what is the Light Side version? It seems to accomplish the same things (in game universe) as Move on people.
  • willmanx likes this

I lack credentials.

#51 Josep Maria

Josep Maria

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 03:19 AM

With Move someone you can't control him/her and prevent from attacking (typical scene from videogames where you hold up stormtroopers but they still shooting).

Bind is a more accurate "Stun" than the Influence version I supose (Strain damage).

Move is Push so. Maybe the "Knockdown" is a cinematic "Advantage" effect.

Edited by Josep Maria, 14 September 2014 - 05:59 AM.

5,935 Profile Views.

#52 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,919 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 05:37 AM

Glad to see that the old house-ruling of using Move for a "Force Push" effect still stands.

As for knocking the target prone (assuming they're not taken out by the damage inflicted), having the player spend a Triumph or perhaps 3 Advantage for that effect makes sense.  Granted, in the films where we see a Force push in effect, the target (typically battle droids) are trashed, so it'd be something of a moot point.

• willmanx, Josep Maria and kaosoe like this

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#53 Josep Maria

Josep Maria

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 06:00 AM

The general sense is that with the Force you are able to destroy tons of minons. Pure cinematic :D

5,935 Profile Views.

#54 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 08:11 AM

Honestly, that's a lame response from Sam. It has such a specific effect and is used very frequently especially in the prequels and TCW that a little more official crunch would be very helpful here rather than every table needing a house rule.

Edit: I should clarify that I have a very high regard for Sam and his work on this product. I just think they sometimes carry the "it's narrative" response too far. Force Push is a weapon, with pretty consistent results across XP levels. It needs to be treated as a weapon, with the appropriate damage, qualities, etc.

Edited by whafrog, 14 September 2014 - 08:29 AM.

• knasserII and evileeyore like this

#55 Josep Maria

Josep Maria

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 08:16 AM

The general sensation in the movies/series is that Push doesn't do anything crucial, it's a "minion killer" mainly.

But yes, agree that maybe a more "refined" or extended version would be nice.

Until the moment I will follow Sam's recomendation and I will do it cinematically and will consider Advantages from Discipline  :)

5,935 Profile Views.

#56 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,919 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 09:11 AM

Honestly, that's a lame response from Sam. It has such a specific effect and is used very frequently especially in the prequels and TCW that a little more official crunch would be very helpful here rather than every table needing a house rule.

Edit: I should clarify that I have a very high regard for Sam and his work on this product. I just think they sometimes carry the "it's narrative" response too far. Force Push is a weapon, with pretty consistent results across XP levels. It needs to be treated as a weapon, with the appropriate damage, qualities, etc.

And at what point does it stop being "asking the developer questions" and "begging them to run my game for me"?

While I disagreed with the sentiment of a tweet that Fiddleback made several days ago about some GMs being far too dependent on pestering the devs with questions about every little thing, I have to conceed that he did have a point, and that it seems far too many GMs are asking the devs to cover/explain every little rules situation as opposed to being GMs and deciding for themselves how it works at their table.  Frankly, I blame the d20 system and especially 3rd edition and it's knock-off/clones like Pathfinder for that state of affairs, given their insistance/reliance upon "exception-based rules" and "everything has a rule and a rule for everything."  Rolemaster narrowly averts being nearly as bad simply by actually having charts for everything, many of which could be safely deep-sixed and still have the game be playable.  Now I enjoy hearing the reasons why a game designer made the choices they made for a game system or set of rules (even if I might disagree with them), but I'm enough of an adult that I can make my own decision on how to handle fuzzy patches of the rules when they come up at my table without needing to pester the designer for how to resolve it.

But given that a lot of emphasis has been put on this being a narrative system, maybe the answers are going to reliant upon a narrative solution.  As Josep noted, in most cases using Move to attack a Silhouette 1 minion = defeated minion, since it's 10 plus successes damage, minimum of 11, enough to take out pretty much every minion type in the game thus far, so things like crit ratings and weapon qualities really don't come into play.  If it's against a Rival or Nemesis that's not going to be taken out with that one hit, then be a GM and make a decision for your game how it works.

Sorry, rant over.

• willmanx, Green Leader and Josep Maria like this

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#57 kaosoe

kaosoe

• Members
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 10:16 AM

I have been pretty lazy the past few days. As a result I have not been on the ball with updating the questions list.

As for the spoiler tags in the original posts, It makes grouping easier so folks new to the board aren't paralyzed by the volume of content they would have to scan through. The idea was the someone who was wondering about a particular rules call could find the category that their question best fits in and expand the spoiler tag to see if it had already been asked. I could change it up, but it would take some effort. If there is better value in rearranging the content it might be worth it.

As for the spoiler tags in the update posts, that's probably just a force of habit on my part.

• Josep Maria likes this

#58 kaosoe

kaosoe

• Members
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 10:17 AM

In any case I have added the following questions. Thanks everyone for continuing to PM me your questions or posting them here:

Increasing Defense Zone limits

Asked by Ghostofman

Vehicle defenses (typically provided by shields) are limited to 4 points in any given zone. (EotE CRB pg 228)

Talents like Defensive Driving increase a vehicles defenses in all zones.

Is Defensive Driving intended to allow you to exceed the 4 point cap or is 4 intended to be a hard cap?

Answered by Sam Stewart:

The limit of 4 is intended to be a hard cap.

Force Push as Move Power

Question asked by Josep Maria

There is any official response about "Force Push" power or it isn't created? It's a variant from Move?

Answered by Sam Stewart:

Force Push, Pull, and Move are all the same thing in our game. Anything you could do with Push, you should be able to do with Move.

Follow-up Question asked by Josep Maria

How do you handle the "Knockdown" effect that we can see sometimes on the movies? Its cinematic or I miss something?

Answered by Sam Stewart:

If it's an opposed check, it would be something you could use Advantage to activate. If it's just a Force power check, then it's probably cinematic (if you're targeting minions or no-name rivals, whether or not they're knocked down probably doesn't make a huge difference either way).

Edited by kaosoe, 14 September 2014 - 10:19 AM.

• Josep Maria likes this

#59 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:15 PM

But given that a lot of emphasis has been put on this being a narrative system, maybe the answers are going to reliant upon a narrative solution.  As Josep noted, in most cases using Move to attack a Silhouette 1 minion = defeated minion, since it's 10 plus successes damage, minimum of 11, enough to take out pretty much every minion type in the game thus far, so things like crit ratings and weapon qualities really don't come into play.  If it's against a Rival or Nemesis that's not going to be taken out with that one hit, then be a GM and make a decision for your game how it works.

It's really simple:  it's a weapon, and should be treated as such.  It needs to account for range, and multiple targets, and qualities like knockdown or disorient.

• Col. Orange, Josep Maria and evileeyore like this

#60 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:23 PM

Okay, money must go where mouth is:  my take on the Force Push.

http://community.fan...rce-push-peach/

• Josep Maria likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS