Photo

FFG Developer Answered Questions

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:06 AM

someone suggested starting an "official" thread to post questions answered by FFG developers. I did some digging and managed to compile a modest list. The list is not all inclusive and I am sure I missed some, so please respond to this thread with any that I may have missed.

I would love this to be stickied so users will not have to dig too hard to find it, but I may be asking for too much.

I tried to cite the original post where the question was first posted and the user who asked it as best as possible.

A few guidelines:

1. Please include to the best of your abilities the original question with the answer.
  2. If possible, include the answer verbatim to avoid confusion.
  3. Keep the thread responses to a minimum. Question and answer posts only please. If you wish to make a comment on a question or answer, it is best to start a new thread to keep the irrelevant posting down in this one.

Careers, Specializations, Skills, and Talents

Spoiler

The Force

Spoiler

Gear, Equipment, and Qualities

Spoiler

Vehicular combat, actions, and starships

Spoiler

Personal Scale combat

Spoiler

Player Resources and Special Rules

Spoiler

General production related Questions

Spoiler

Edited by kaosoe, Yesterday, 06:49 AM.

• salamar_dree, HappyDaze, MKX and 20 others like this

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#2 kaosoe

kaosoe

• Members
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:07 AM

I don't intend to type up a manuscript of all the questions and answer given from the Order66  or podcast or any other podcast, but I did dig up the work that Venthrac has already done.

A note to Venthrac: I am not trying to cheat you out of the hard work you have done. I just wanted to get this in one place rather than revive the thread you had started.

ITEMS

Spoiler

CHARACTER CREATION

Spoiler

COMBAT

Spoiler

Edited by kaosoe, 10 June 2014 - 01:08 PM.

• Col. Orange, FuriousGuy, Liloki and 6 others like this

#3 kaosoe

kaosoe

• Members
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:07 AM

<Reserved for Face-to-Face question/Answers>

#4 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:21 AM

I had one for Quickdraw

Hello 2P51,

Quick Draw may only be used to draw a single weapon or item. If one is duel wielding weapons, you may draw one as an incidental, and then draw one as a maneuver. 

Hope this helps!

Sam Stewart
Senior RPG Producer
Fantasy Flight Games

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#5 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:23 AM

I also had one for Resolve but deleted the email, essentially though it was that Resolve could be used to lower the Strain cost of Stim Application.

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#6 kaosoe

kaosoe

• Members
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:40 AM

At some point I will add spoiler tags to each major group for easy of reading.

Both of 2P51's questions have been added. I recall the Resolve/Stim Application combination being discussed on the Order66 podcast so it's not the first time I heard that one talked about.

I also added the following questions asked by HappyDaze and sent to me via a private message.

Question asked by Happy Daze:
How much does it cost to reload the Missile Tube?

Does Prepare 1 on the Missile Tube require one preparation maneuver before each shot, or one preparation maneuver and then the weapon can be fired until it's empty (when it would need a reload maneuver followed by a preparation maneuver)?

Answered by Sam Stewart:
It costs 500 credits to purchase a clip of six missiles for the tube.

Prepare states that it is a number of maneuvers that must be performed before each attack. Therefore, you must make a preparation maneuver before each shot.

Question asked by Happy Daze:
Can a single character with Brawn 5 carry and use a heavy repeating blaster in combat in the manner of a very large rifle (but using Gunnery skill)?

The weapon lists Encumbrance 9 and Cumbersome 5. The description of the weapon mentions that the weapon needs a second operator to handle the power coupling and generator. What are the Encumbrance values of the power coupling and generator? Are the power coupling and generator included in the Encumbrance 9 of the weapon or in additional to it?

The text description for the heavy repeating blaster indicates that the included tripod takes three actions to deploy. It also says that it works like the tripod mount attachment which takes two preparation maneuvers to deploy. Which of these is correct?

Answered by Sam Stewart:
The power coupling and generator are included in the encumbrance of the weapon. Most military units include a second operator to improve efficiency and help in moving the thing around and getting it set up quickly, since it's a heavy piece of machinery. The heavy blaster's 3 actions to get set up include and supersede the two preparation maneuvers required for setting up the tripod.

Edited by kaosoe, 06 June 2014 - 09:58 AM.

• Sturn, Col. Orange, themensch and 2 others like this

#7 bradknowles

bradknowles

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:57 AM

Corellian Compound Bow

Question asked by Kaosoe (Paraphrased):

Page 95 of Suns of Fortune lists The Corellian Compound Bow as using the skill Ranged (Heavy), but the alternate ammunition for the bow, the Stun arrows and Explosive Tipped Arrows, utilize Ranged (Light). Is this intentional? or is this a typo?

Answered by Sam Stewart:

Thanks for your question, and I apologize for the confusion. As it turns out, this is not an error, but reflects the very different ammunition types (and skills required to use them) in this unique weapon. 

Firing a regular arrow from a bow relies a great deal on the user's physical strength, both to draw the bow and to keeping the draw taut while aiming and firing. Thus damage and accuracy are related to the user's strength, hence the Ranged Heavy skill and Cumbersome rating.

However, both explosive-tipped and stun arrows are very different from "regular" arrows. Each of these arrows replaces the low-tech broadhead tip of the arrow with a sophisticated payload. In the case of the explosive-tipped arrow, this payload is essentially a small frag grenade. In the case of the stun arrow, it is a stun-discharge "pad." Neither has the same aerodynamics as a regular arrow, and neither relies on the user's strength in the same way (in essence, as long as the arrow can be drawn enough to be fired, it doesn't matter how hard it hits the target; the explosive damage or stun discharge does all the work).

To reflect this, we used two different skills.

This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.  It's not suddenly easier to pull back a bowstring just because you're firing an arrow of a different type.  The mechanisms of how a bow works do not fundamentally change, although if you're firing an arrow that is longer it might be possible to draw the bow back further.

The only thing that should change based on the type of arrows you're firing is the damage that is done.  Everything else about firing and handling the bow should be the same, regardless of the type of arrow.

I'm sorry.  I've got a lot of respect for the game developers, and I know that sometimes they do things for game balance or forward compatibility reasons.  However, sometimes they simply say or do stupid things.

• Zar likes this

Unless stated otherwise, these are just my personal opinions about how I feel things should work.  Even if I quote chapter and verse of a particular rulebook, only the part that's quoted is likely to actually be official.  Each GM will have to decide for themselves what rules they will use and which ones they won't, and how they will interpret the rules they do use.  That is their right -- and their responsibility.

"A FFG Star Wars Index" by Aahzmandius_Karrde: <http://community.fan...ar-wars-index/> | Github project at <https://github.com/k...rde/ffg_swrpg/>

"Dice Probability Generator" by Litheon: http://community.fan...lity-generator/

#8 Col. Orange

Col. Orange

• Members
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:29 AM

Thanks, kaosoe!

• Josep Maria likes this

What's written above is meant with love

#9 kaosoe

kaosoe

• Members
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:00 PM

I included spoiler tags with each category.

• Josep Maria and 2P51 like this

#10 Jamwes

Jamwes

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:51 PM

Damn. Great job! Keep up the good work.

• Josep Maria likes this

#11 kaosoe

kaosoe

• Members
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:21 AM

If you have any comments, suggestions, or wish to submit an answer to me but you do not wish to clutter the threat, feel free to PM me.

Added the following question and response asked by me after it came up by a player:

Overwhelm Emotions and Converting Force Die Results

Question asked by Kaosoe:

Overwhelm Emotions.

Can a character convert Lightside results to Darkside results in the same way described in the section on Force Powers?

Or is the option to convert Light - to - dark only available when using force powers?

Answered by Sam Stewart:

Overwhelm Emotions is a special case, where you're not generating "Force Points" with the Force die off the results, but using the result itself. In any case, if you converted Light Side results to Dark Side results, the talent wouldn't work because the results can add success or failure, depending on the result and the check.

So short answer, no. It's not that the option is only available when using Force Powers, but it is not an option when using this talent specifically.

• Josep Maria likes this

#12 kaosoe

kaosoe

• Members
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:35 AM

Added the following questions

Burn and Soak

Question asked by 2P51

Does soak apply to Burn effect?

Answered by Sam Stewart

Soak does apply to burn

Multiple Critical Rolls with Autofire

Asked by 2P51:

Can you roll multiple critical hits with a single attack, if the attack lands multiple hits, ie, you get 3 hits on an auto fire attack and theoretically have enough advantages for 3 critical hit results.

Answered by Sam Stewart:

Criticals are generated on a "per hit" basis. So if you've got multiple hits, you can have multiple crits, just one per hit.

Edited by kaosoe, 13 June 2014 - 11:35 AM.

#13 yeti1069

yeti1069

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:54 PM

Corellian Compound Bow

Page 95 of Suns of Fortune lists The Corellian Compound Bow as using the skill Ranged (Heavy), but the alternate ammunition for the bow, the Stun arrows and Explosive Tipped Arrows, utilize Ranged (Light). Is this intentional? or is this a typo?

Answered by Sam Stewart:

Thanks for your question, and I apologize for the confusion. As it turns out, this is not an error, but reflects the very different ammunition types (and skills required to use them) in this unique weapon. 

Firing a regular arrow from a bow relies a great deal on the user's physical strength, both to draw the bow and to keeping the draw taut while aiming and firing. Thus damage and accuracy are related to the user's strength, hence the Ranged Heavy skill and Cumbersome rating.

However, both explosive-tipped and stun arrows are very different from "regular" arrows. Each of these arrows replaces the low-tech broadhead tip of the arrow with a sophisticated payload. In the case of the explosive-tipped arrow, this payload is essentially a small frag grenade. In the case of the stun arrow, it is a stun-discharge "pad." Neither has the same aerodynamics as a regular arrow, and neither relies on the user's strength in the same way (in essence, as long as the arrow can be drawn enough to be fired, it doesn't matter how hard it hits the target; the explosive damage or stun discharge does all the work).

This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.  It's not suddenly easier to pull back a bowstring just because you're firing an arrow of a different type.  The mechanisms of how a bow works do not fundamentally change, although if you're firing an arrow that is longer it might be possible to draw the bow back further.

The only thing that should change based on the type of arrows you're firing is the damage that is done.  Everything else about firing and handling the bow should be the same, regardless of the type of arrow.

I'm sorry.  I've got a lot of respect for the game developers, and I know that sometimes they do things for game balance or forward compatibility reasons.  However, sometimes they simply say or do stupid things.

I think you missed the point.

When you're using a bow normally, you aren't only concerned with connecting with the target, but also with penetrating power, whereas when you're firing one of those special arrows, all you care about is making contact. That could definitely change how you are handling the bow. That said, I think it's ridiculous to require two separate skills for this as well.

• Icosiel likes this

#14 kaosoe

kaosoe

• Members
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:39 PM

Added the following rules questions:

Heavy Repeating Blaster, and Setting it up

(Asked by Dbuntu)

Question asked by Dbuntu:

I have a couple questions about the HRB and the Tripod attachment detailed on pages 162 and 193 respectively in the core rulebook.

The HRB text states that "Setting up a tripod weapon requires the crew (presumably the two-man crew the text states is required to operate the weapon) to spend three actions."

Read on it's own, that seems to indicate that a two man crew could spend a total of three actions between both of them setting up the HRB on a tripod. However, the text goes on to state, "The cost of the weapon includes a tripod such as the one found on page 193".

The tripod found on page 193 states, "Setting up a tripod takes two preparation maneuvers".

So if the HRB comes with such a tripod, exactly how many actions and/or maneuvers should it take to set up and be ready to fire?

Related question: The HRB comes with four hard points. Is the tripod included with the weapon using two of those hard points or does it have four additional hard points?

Answered by Sam Stewart:
In this case, the three actions spent amongst the crew (each one spending an action, or one spending three, or some variation thereof) include and supersede the two preparation maneuvers needed to set up the tripod.

Also, the tripod should occupy two of the hard points.

Loronar E-9 Explorer

Question Asked by HappyDaze (Paraphrased):

I noticed that the Loronar E-9 Explorer-Class Armed Long-Range scout vessel lists its weapons as having linked 1, but it does no clerify that they are twin mounted medium laser cannons. Is this a typo? should they not have linked quality?

Answered by Sam Stewart:

The E-9 is fitted with dorsal and ventral twin* medium laser cannons (identical to the base armament of the YT-2400) and thus should have Linked 1.

* Substitute Double or Dual for Twin if you prefer.

YV-929 Light Freighter

Question asked by HappyDaze (Paraphrased):

The YV-929 lists two forward and one aft mounted concussion missile launchers, but does not include the slow firing rating as it does in the Edge of the Empire core rule book. Is this a misprint or is the YV-929 supposed to have rapid firing concussion missile launchers.

Answered by Sam Stewart:

The concussion missile launchers on the YV-929 are not supposed to have Slow-Firing 1. In effect, they are rapid-firing launchers. YIKES! Now we know why it's so freaking expensive.

#15 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:47 PM

To clarify, Sam's direct answer was, "The profiles in both cases are correct."

The profiles being the game stats of the weapon that are set in parentheses following the name of the weapon system.

The answers in the previous post are not direct quotes from Sam, but were my reactions to his answers.

Edited by HappyDaze, 13 June 2014 - 07:57 PM.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#16 Venthrac

Venthrac

• Members
  • 902 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:39 PM

Great threa, thanks.

#17 bradknowles

bradknowles

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:30 PM

When you're using a bow normally, you aren't only concerned with connecting with the target, but also with penetrating power, whereas when you're firing one of those special arrows, all you care about is making contact. That could definitely change how you are handling the bow. That said, I think it's ridiculous to require two separate skills for this as well.

Have you ever used a bow, with different types of arrows?  I have, and the process isn't materially different regardless of how long or heavy the arrows are, or what the arrows are carrying -- you're still aiming for appropriate distance, you have the same pull weight, etc....  Arrows that are configured differently will fly differently, and they will impact differently, and that's part of  your training.

But the bow itself operates pretty much the same, regardless.

• Donovan Morningfire likes this

Unless stated otherwise, these are just my personal opinions about how I feel things should work.  Even if I quote chapter and verse of a particular rulebook, only the part that's quoted is likely to actually be official.  Each GM will have to decide for themselves what rules they will use and which ones they won't, and how they will interpret the rules they do use.  That is their right -- and their responsibility.

"A FFG Star Wars Index" by Aahzmandius_Karrde: <http://community.fan...ar-wars-index/> | Github project at <https://github.com/k...rde/ffg_swrpg/>

"Dice Probability Generator" by Litheon: http://community.fan...lity-generator/

#18 MKX

MKX

• Members
  • 878 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:57 AM

Thanks for the compile of Q&A Kaosoe.

Some compulsory reading in all that... there's also some things which will get binned out of hand for 'nope, not in my damn game'

#19 Haggard

Haggard

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:58 PM

Corellian Compound Bow

Answered by Sam Stewart:

I think you missed the point.

If that was the intent, then the simplest way to handle it would be for the "needs penetrating power" arrows to have the Cumbersome quality, reflecting that lack of Brawn will equate to higher difficulty in landing an effective shot, while "damage by contact" arrows would not have that quality.

Requiring two different skills is silly.  If they didn't want to add a Ranged (Bow) skill, then shots with the thing should default to Ranged (Heavy) since the design of various weapons and attachments always seems to indicate that Ranged (Heavy) is used for a weapon requiring two hands to fire and Ranged (Light) is used with one-handed weapons.  I expect this to crop up again when we see crossbows.  :-P

Edited by Haggard, 16 June 2014 - 04:00 PM.

• Col. Orange, Jamwes and bradknowles like this

We tell each other the tales of heroes to remind ourselves that we, too, can be great.

#20 kaosoe

kaosoe

• Members
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:01 AM

correct the answers given by Sam Stewart asked by HappyDaze on the Loronar E-9 and the YV-929.

Added the following Question asked by 2P51:

Question asked by 2P51:

When you buy a new specialization outside your career do you get just the bonus career skills for the new specialization as additional career skills, or the skills for the specialization and its parent career as well?

Answered by Sam Stewart:

You only ever get the bonus career skills from the specialization.

• bradknowles likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS