Photo

Can you have fun if you are not winning?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Sixko

Sixko

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:02 AM

Me and my group always have fun as well, though we all agree that the most fun is when we have those really close games.
It's less fun (but still fun) when one of the sides gets steamrolled, we just feel that those really close games doesnt happen very often and we all agree that the game is far from balanced as a result of that.

#22 BentoSan

BentoSan

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:35 AM

My experience is different, a good number of games come down to being quite close.

#23 griton

griton

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:32 AM

TL;DR

People's opinions are all wrong.

I think you missed that he wished that when people shared their opinions, that they'd do it without whining / hyperbole. It's not that their opinions are wrong, it's that they are sharing them in a way that isn't productive.

I think the internet, in general, sees a lot more complaints about things than people really have IRL. Not just here for Descent, but everywhere, for everything. A lot of that is just random other people chiming in with off-the-cuff remarks on a situation one person shared, but also a significant portion is the fact that tone of voice doesn't translate onto the net very well. Comments that were intended to be tongue-in-cheek end up being interpreted literally and conversations take a downward spiral pretty quickly.

Don't forget that a large part of that is that if people are happy with something, there's very little reason for most of them to take the effort to say something about it; when people are unhappy with something, they think their complaints will cause things to change. Unfortunately for the latter case, most people apply the "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" method instead of being constructive about it.

#24 Kunzite

Kunzite

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:44 PM

So, we need more grease on this form. So, what kind of constructive advice can we give people to improve playing fun-ness?

"Bide your time and hold out hope."

~Count of Monte Cristo

NotesFromTheOverlord.tumblr.com

#25 Electris

Electris

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:14 PM

1. Walk in expecting to lose. If you win, bonus!
2. Track stats. How much damage did you do since last time?
3. Attack an ally.
4. Covet new and better items!
  • Madmartigan likes this

#26 Kunzite

Kunzite

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:50 AM

I go into battle with this mindset allot. It seems to help me not only have fun, but also relaxed. The more relaxed I am and the more risks I am willing to take often end up in me winning more games.

Very backwards thinking but it helps. If we stop thinking we have the cat in the bag, (which, btw way, I don't like when my heroes put me in a bag... thank you.) then we have nothing to lose but our dignity. This is good.

• Madmartigan likes this

"Bide your time and hold out hope."

~Count of Monte Cristo

NotesFromTheOverlord.tumblr.com

#27 any2cards

any2cards

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:30 AM

I have heard from several members of this forum via PM, asking for a specific example of what I would want to see as a discussion within this forum, rather than the whining and complaining that I find bothersome.  I was in the midst of typing up an example when @Coldmoonrising made the following new topic:

http://community.fan...ith-rune-plate/

In my humble opinion, this is EXACTLY the right approach.  Coldmoonrising has a problem with a Runemaster that has been giving him all kinds of fits.  He/She doesn't know how to deal with it, or at least what has been attempted so far has been unsuccessful.

Read the post.  It is this kind of approach that allows us to offer each other ideas, constructive criticism, strategies, etc.  They very fact that I spent time reading and thinking about the post has brought to my attention new thoughts on the matter, and it is applicable to something very close to what I am currently dealing with.  A win-win.

#28 BentoSan

BentoSan

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:53 PM

I did this recently when i played a 1 off with a couple of people i have not played with before + my reasonably well experienced gf (Nerekhall intro quest), one new guy was experienced with the game the other had never played the game before. I went into the encounter pretty hap hazardly and managed to steal a victory from the heroes.

The guy who had never played liked the game and wants to start a campaign despite me on the last turn before winning the encounter making him kill himself with dark charm before sucking the life out of the last villager with the lieutenant :D

Good times !

• Kunzite likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS