• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#121 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:38 PM

Both the TIE Defender and the E-wing look like they will require some complex ejection systems (unless they eject down beneath the fighter rather than up).

In the case of the E-Wing, if the pilot has to eject, the mechanism probably blows the top laser cannon out of the way.  After all, if the pilot's ejecting, the fighter in question is a lost cause.

• kaosoe likes this

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#122 Sylpheed

Sylpheed

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:50 PM

Those pilots were valuable, and the Empire had a vested interest in getting them back.

That being said, prior to Endor, the Rebellion's tactics were largely "hit-and-run" type missions. I wonder how much time or resources they were really able to dedicate to Combat Search And Rescue (CSAR) operations. So yes, rebel ships probably had an ejection system of some sort, but the pilots would have known there was little to no chance of them being rescued after a given battle.

I would suggest that on the whole the Empire, being the bad guys, see their people as expendable and less valuable than their machines, and so would have a policy like the RAF in the Great War whereby pilots didn't get parachutes as it was felt it would only encourage them to abandon their aeroplanes at the first opportunity instead of staying to fight.

On the other hand, the Rebels, being the good guys and believing in home mom and apple pie and individuality and whatnot have more of a 'leave no one behind' thing going on.

And from a practical point of view, you are going to need to have someone collect any ejected PC rebels.

--

Incidentally, early ejector seats had a sort of Face Blind - to fire the seat, the pilot reaches up, grabs the handles and pulls the blind down over their face to protect them as they exit the aircraft.

ES-B18.jpg

I have sometimes pondered that Rebel pilots could use a similar system to reach up and pull something over their head to seal their suits against vacuum as they eject. Or you could redesign the helmet a bit:-

sw_rebel_pilot_redesign_by_http___kvltic

Edited by Sylpheed, 30 June 2014 - 03:08 PM.

#123 Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:42 PM

During ANH we see Porkins being told to eject though he doesn't do it. And in the old RPG material it talks about how rebel pilots going into battle near planets with active rebel cells are told how to contact those cells if they eject during the mission.

If Porkins had ejected, realistically, what were his chances of survival anyway? I get the impression that the Rebels really weren't in a position to mount a rescue operation- especially in the limited amount of time the pilots had before the Death Star exploded.

Ejecting on or over a planet with active rebel cells is a different story entirely, and sounds like a great hook for an adventure. My thoughts were more related to the not-uncommon scenario where a rebel force makes a hit-and-fade attack on an Imperial outpost or garrison. Even assuming that the attack is wholly successful, the limited amount of time before an overwhelming Imperial response arrives leads me to believe that it would be difficult or impossible for the rebels to recover everyone that went extravehicular.

For example, Red Squadron is a squadron of 12 X-Wings. It is currently taking part in a deep space strike mission on an Imperial listening post in the MacGuffin Sector. They know from their pre-mission briefings that from the time they arrive in-system to the time an effective Imperial response can be mounted is a full 30 minutes. Total time in hyperspace from the rebel fleet to the listening post is an hour or so, due to the multiple jumps necessary to prevent the Imperials from following them back. They expect that the amount of time it takes to deal with the Imperial forces stationed at the listening post and destroy or render the post non-functional is 25 minutes. If they take longer than 30 minutes, the sector fleet arrives and crushes Red Squadron with sheer numbers and overwhelming firepower. The situation becomes even more dire if the sector fleet possesses an Interdictor.

Now, let's say Red 11's X-Wing is severely damaged by one of the station's defending TIEs and Red 11 opts to eject rather than crash into the listening post. The rest of his wingmen are occupied with pacifying the station's defenses and completing the mission, so Red 11 has to sit tight for a little while.  

Assuming the Rebels are interested in getting him back, Red Squadron can stick around and try to hold off the Sector Fleet while a recovery operation travels through hyperspace, locates Red 11, and gets him back to the fleet. This means the rebels risk losing even more X-Wings to an even larger force of TIE Fighters and capital ships. Or, the Rebels can cut their losses, change their security codes, and try to limit the damage from whatever poor Red 11 is likely to let slip during an interrogation by Imperial authorities.

It's also possible that recovery ships are sent with Red Squadron on its mission. I've never seen this supported in canon, but it is possible. This presents its own problems, because what was once a small, hit-and-fade strike mission is now a protracted engagement with an increasingly large footprint: additional fighters now must be dedicated to protecting the recovery craft.

The Empire, on the other hand, has no such difficulties. If Gamma 4 manages to eject before his TIE/Ln is destroyed, the sector fleet can begin a recovery operation as soon as they arrive. Rebel fighters will likely be too occupied by overwhelming numbers of TIE fighters (12 11 X-Wings vs. 72+ in a single star destroyer) to attempt to interfere with the recovery operations. Even if the Empire opts to wait until all hostilities have finished before recovering its pilots, the Imperial forces won't be abandoning the area like their rebel counterparts because it's territory that they control.

It just doesn't seem like the Rebellion is in a position for much of the Galactic Civil War to recover its pilots post-hostilities. Rescuing prisoners is another story entirely, and something the Rebellion is very good at. Preventing people from becoming prisoners in the first place? Not so much. I hope that makes sense, and I am interested in hearing your thoughts on the subject.

• segara82, HappyDaze, Desslok and 1 other like this

CorellianCrafts.com is now live! Be sure to check it out for hand-made Star Wars dice bags and accessories!

#124 Sylpheed

Sylpheed

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:52 PM

I know you cheer for the Empire but do try to remember the PCs will be Rebels in this game.

• Josep Maria and RedfordBlade like this

#125 RogueCorona

RogueCorona

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:02 PM

All they would really need is a S&R Shuttle waiting a couple of minutes away from the battle that can sweep in and rescue pilots once the battle has shifted away from the ejection area.

• RedfordBlade likes this

#126 kinnison

kinnison

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:55 AM

Or there could be Ugors and Squibs hanging around waiting to collect some debris

• RedfordBlade likes this

Check out my current Campaign:

The Minos Cluster

Last session 9/6/14 'Beyond the Rim: Episode I'

Last Update 9/20/14

#127 RedfordBlade

RedfordBlade

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:39 PM

It's also possible that recovery ships are sent with Red Squadron on its mission. I've never seen this supported in canon, but it is possible. This presents its own problems, because what was once a small, hit-and-fade strike mission is now a protracted engagement with an increasingly large footprint: additional fighters now must be dedicated to protecting the recovery craft.

All they would really need is a S&R Shuttle waiting a couple of minutes away from the battle that can sweep in and rescue pilots once the battle has shifted away from the ejection area.

Welp, now I know what one of my PCs will be using her HWK-290 for, once she gets it. I better start writing up a custom "Recovery Pod" attachment for her.

I suppose that shuttles, light freighters, and maybe even modified Y-Wings could also pull it off.

#128 swiftdraw

swiftdraw

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:19 PM

Welp, now I know what one of my PCs will be using her HWK-290 for, once she gets it. I better start writing up a custom "Recovery Pod" attachment for her.

I suppose that shuttles, light freighters, and maybe even modified Y-Wings could also pull it off.

In a different setting I ran a campaign where the PC's primary focus was S&R for adventuring parties that went overdue. They also helped out locals and got co-opted by other factions for recovery missions. It was actually a really fun campaign for the players and me to GM. It also toned down the kleptomania and murder-hobo style of play since the over arcing theme was rescue operations. I highly recommend a S&R campaign actually as it would be a fun way to run AoR besides the bog standard 'KILL DA IMPIRE!' campaign.

#129 Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:32 PM

Because I'm impatient and probably won't have my copy of Age of Rebellion until tomorrow:

Does anyone that got their hands on an early copy of the book feel like informing us whether or not the TIE Defender remained in the book, changed, or is in any way different from its presentation in the Beta?

CorellianCrafts.com is now live! Be sure to check it out for hand-made Star Wars dice bags and accessories!

#130 Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:42 AM

I suppose I'll answer my own question:

The TIE Defender remains unchanged in the Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook. The only real difference is the addition of a "General Purpose Warhead Launcher" which can fire any type of fighter-scale warhead in any configuration. It certainly makes the TIE/D's load-out much more versatile.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS