• Please log in to reply
248 replies to this topic

#1 FootNote

FootNote

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:52 AM

https://movies.yahoo...-213609745.html

Can someone explain this to me like I am a 5 year old?

"Everything Flows down leash...." -Anonymous 

FootNote's Custom Droids

#2 Tropheus

Tropheus

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:06 AM

No because I cant access that server from work. What does it say in a nutshell?

#3 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:13 AM

https://movies.yahoo...-213609745.html

Can someone explain this to me like I am a 5 year old?

They had already announced the only thing considered canon anymore was the films and TCW.  This is simply stating what of new fiction going forward is now considered canon.

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze  and D&D 5E  Swords for Adventure

#4 awayputurwpn

awayputurwpn

• Members
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:23 AM

Backstory: So the Expanded Universe is a long, complicated story that many people have been telling for over 30 years. George Lucas, who created Star Wars, said that these books were okay to write at the time and they became part of the official Star Wars story. The official Star Wars story is called "canon." But these books were given a lower status in the "canon" than the movies were. So George Lucas kept coming along with new movies that conflicted with some of the Expanded Universe stories. So the Expanded Universe had to adapt to the new movies. They had to adapt to the new "canon," because even though they were part of the canon, they weren't being considered as important as the movies.  

Eventually, over about 30 years the Expanded Universe just got too complicated and too confusing. George Lucas gave Star Wars over to Disney (the people who made Frozen, you liked that movie, right?) and told them to make a new story with it. So a bunch of people who loved the idea of telling NEW stories got the okay from Disney to rename the entire Expanded Universe as "Legends." This means that any Star Wars story that isn't a movie or a TV show is now not part of the official Star Wars story, or "canon."

Now the filmmakers at Disney can tell a new story. Going forward, they are going to be much more careful and purposeful with what they allow to be in the Star Wars Canon. All books and all movies going forward are now going to be part of the canon.  

Now here's the actual news story in a nutshell: People thought that the date for the cutoff between "Legends" and "Canon" was April 25th 2014 (since that was when the announcement was made), but there is an issue of Star Wars Insider (#149, published on April 22nd) that contains the first part of a two-part story: Blade Squadron. Even though it had been originally published on April 22nd, Blade Squadron Part 1 is still being considered as "Canon" and not "Legends. 

• Yepesnopes, FreeXenon and FootNote like this

#5 Tropheus

Tropheus

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:09 PM

I hope its just minor changes. It wont be Star Wars without Luke being married to Mara Jade, Han + Leia and the jedi kids. Even the Thrawn trilogy would be easy to incorporate as veterans of that campaign since it really didn't affect much afterwards. Obviously the Vong Invasion would be a no go since it was the most important and devastating event Post Endor and would just be beginning at the time the movie supposedly takes place. Oh and I guess Chewie isn't going to die saving Anakin this time.

• FreeXenon likes this

#6 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:12 PM

It wont be Star Wars without Luke being married to Mara Jade, Han + Leia and the jedi kids. 

Only to you.  The more they dispense with the EU the better IMHO.

• That Blasted Samophlange, Doc, the Weasel, Haggard and 10 others like this

#7 FootNote

FootNote

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:16 PM

So in short, this is a big F you to Tor and Dark Horse and letting Marvel/Disney run everything.

Granted, I don't know how they expect books to be canon that come out now before the new movies.

"Everything Flows down leash...." -Anonymous 

FootNote's Custom Droids

#8 kinnison

kinnison

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:18 PM

WHERE ARE YOUR PARENTS? DO THEY KNOW YOU ARE ON A FORUM!!??!

• awayputurwpn, Doc, the Weasel, Vyker and 5 others like this

Check out my current Campaign:

The Minos Cluster

Last session 01/03/14 'Beyond the Rim: Episode III' Next session 02/21/14

Last Update 01/10/14

#9 Tropheus

Tropheus

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:34 PM

Why Whafrog? There have been some really good books and graphic novels out of the EU, hell, most of what we have here in the RPG is EU stuff. The Thrawn trilogy is easily the best Trilogy made for Star Wars, including the movies. You always have one or two stinkers but they are few and far between except in the latter Vong invasion books(which was the same thing over and over)

• segara82 and FreeXenon like this

#10 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:50 PM

(the people who made Frozen, you liked that movie, right?)

:lol: Bahahahahahahaha :lol:

So in short, this is a big F you to Tor and Dark Horse and letting Marvel/Disney run everything.

Granted, I don't know how they expect books to be canon that come out now before the new movies.

No, it's not an F-U to anyone. It's just what needed to happen for the franchise to continue in film form. Content and creative blarf aside, remember that they need a film anyone anywhere in the world can go in and watch. If you forced a new film to follow the EU, the opening crawl would have to be 88 mins.of the film just to get the audience caught up enough to watch. Lost audience = bad $ numbers. Bad $ numbers = no more movies.

I don't see why so many people are taking this so personally.

Also, something I like to point out: Until the films/TV shows actually run we don't actually know what is and is not canon. We can make some reasonable guesses, but since the writers are allowed and encouraged to mine the old material for content it's a good bet you'll see plenty of familiar things...

• I. J. Thompson, Jegergryte, FuzzyLog1cZA and 2 others like this

MAGIC HEADPHONES PROTECT ME FROM THE SPACE!

#11 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:55 PM

Not speaking for Whafrog, but I feel the same way. I love a lot of the EU. Especially the x-wing series. However, with none of that ever happening, there are so many more possibilities. Much of the EU was written a whike ago, witg many assumptions based on littls information.

Case in point, the Empire. In EU we have a sexist xenophobic empire. This was assumed because we only see men in the empire on screen. Because of the time period the movies were filmed and the possible constraints of, for instance, costumes like stormtrooper armour being massed produced to a certain size (1.8m tall men possibly, and yes, many of the costumes in movies require precise measurements) led to what we see on screen. Many of the costumes throughout the trilogy were reused I can guarantee, and it is easier and cheaper to find an actor who will fit an outfit, rather than tailor the outfit to the actor. (Principal roles, like Luke, Han, etc. excepted).

So, because of what we see, we get some writer assuming that the empire is anti-alien and has no women (or very few) in it. If sacrificing Thrawn allows some female actors to don the snazzy imperial uniforms, than thrawn can be thrown out.

Also if the superweapons of the week and über jedi, fandalorians and I persobally hope the entirety of the kotor era, get tossed for new stories I'm okay with that. I can read my Rogue Squadron books and enjoy them. I can read the new books and enjoy them too.
  • whafrog and armlessbaby like this
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of EU.

#12 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:05 PM

I think we might see names and that's about it.  Lucas wouldn't have, and Disney certainly won't either, allow some EU novelist from in some cases 15 years ago dictate the direction and history of the universe and characters.  I fully expect it to be pretty new and uncovered in the new films.

I like some EU but in terms of best, the original Brian Daley Han Solo books left more impression on me then a lot of the EU.  I read Thrawn and until I just Googled it I had no faerie F-ing idea where Mara Jade entered the story to give an idea of how little impression that trilogy left on me. 

Edited by 2P51, 05 June 2014 - 01:06 PM.

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze  and D&D 5E  Swords for Adventure

#13 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:06 PM

Why Whafrog? There have been some really good books and graphic novels out of the EU, hell, most of what we have here in the RPG is EU stuff. The Thrawn trilogy is easily the best Trilogy made for Star Wars, including the movies. You always have one or two stinkers but they are few and far between except in the latter Vong invasion books(which was the same thing over and over)

Well, keep in mind your assertions of quality are just your opinions.  You're certainly entitled to them, but they aren't necessarily shared by others.  I only commented because you seem so insistent that the quality was self-evident when it's not.

I have little use for most of the EU.  It's hard for me to be accurate about how I feel about it without being insulting, but the terms "shallow" and "juvenile" would be among my terms.  I will say that I've liked KOTOR (comic and game), Legacy (first one), Medstar and Coruscant Nights, and a couple other novelizations like Kenobi and Scoundrels.  But the rest...less than 'meh'...and the whole Vong thing was just garbage.

But those are just my opinions.  There are no facts here, just aesthetics.  I will admit I'm a romantic at heart, so the broad concept of Mara Jade appeals to me...but not necessarily as it's been written.

• Liloki, Yepesnopes, Jegergryte and 2 others like this

#14 awayputurwpn

awayputurwpn

• Members
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:34 PM

So in short, this is a big F you to Tor and Dark Horse...

It's really not an F you. It's just a limited reboot that doesn't favor anyone: it keeps the "Real Canon;" I.e. the stuff on screen, which has always been "G-Canon;" while taking the EU out of the canon to make room for more stories. Nothing to say that old Dark Horse stuff won't find its way back into the canon. And it's actually a little unclear on what is happening to the stuff way far back in the Old Republic...but hey, the game is still happening. So people are still having fun. Even though *gasp* it's possible that none of it actually happened. 

:) Nothing to get worked up about, really. They're still producing and selling the Legends titles, we all (or some of us) love them and love reading them. They just don't have a direct bearing on what can and can't be written from here on out. 

...and letting Marvel/Disney run everything.

Well...it's technically letting LucasFilm, now owned by Disney instead of George Lucas, run everything. Same idea, just different players and now everything is much better defined (instead of G-Canon, C-Canon, etc).

It's simple! There is now (and has been for many months now) a LucasFilm Story Group. These guys, including the old Star Wars Holocron Keeper Leland Chee, determine what is and is not canon. They work with book authors to make sure that the published books adhere to the new canon, and they are going to be "sticking by their guns," so now books could well inform future movies! Whaddya thinka that?

EDIT: So basically, it's business as usual (e.g. movies have always trumped EU, and Leland Chee has presided over the continuity database for a longo time), except now everything is better defined, there's no more "levels" of Canon, and they're making a crap ton more movies. I say, yes please

(As an aside, it's funny how so many different Star Wars fans love/hate so many different parts of the EU. Like I love KotOR, played both games countless times. They have their flaws, but I overlook those because of how much I love the games and stories as a whole. And I really liked the first bit of the Vong invasion. Except for Chewbacca getting vaporized by a moon. Dumb.)

Edited by awayputurwpn, 05 June 2014 - 01:37 PM.

• I. J. Thompson and kaosoe like this

#15 MrHotter

MrHotter

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:13 PM

This works for me. I stopped reading Star Wars books after they had anti-force lizards and a fighter ship that can destroy planets.

Now if they could just get the Clone Wars TV series and film Ep 1-3 to be 'legends'.

• Haggard and Yepesnopes like this

#16 Sylpheed

Sylpheed

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:19 PM

I liked the anti force lizards. Their planet has force sensitive carnivores that use their powerz to track their prey so their prey evolved a force dampening mechanism as a defense. That is far from the dumbest thing the EU ever did. Indeed, I would go so far as to say it is fairly sensible.

40k has untouchables that do more or less the same and everyone loves untouchables.

• segara82 likes this

#17 Kager

Kager

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:24 PM

The secret here is pick and choose what you want to be canon. There is a lot to pick from, or don't pick any.
I explain to my players what is my canon when we first sit down to play, so they don't call me on some sort of EU detail that Somebody else said happened.

My personal canon: original trilogy(unaltered), prequels are a 13th hand account of what actually happened, and what happens within my campaign. Nothing else.

Star Wars is only limited by your own imagination, imagine what you want.
  • segara82, Haggard, whafrog and 2 others like this

#18 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:28 PM

I liked the anti force lizards. Their planet has force sensitive carnivores that use their powerz to track their prey so their prey evolved a force dampening mechanism as a defense. That is far from the dumbest thing the EU ever did. Indeed, I would go so far as to say it is fairly sensible.

Naw, still dumb.  It's dumb because of the carnivores and the metaphysical mumbo jumbo required.  Evolution is an efficiency engine, if it were that beneficial to evolve force-sensitivity or force-dampening for predator-prey relations it would have happened everywhere.  I hate to bring RL into it, but you did say "sensible".

• Kager likes this

#19 Sylpheed

Sylpheed

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:33 PM

Naw, still dumb.  It's dumb because of the carnivores and the metaphysical mumbo jumbo required.  Evolution is an efficiency engine, if it were that beneficial to evolve force-sensitivity or force-dampening for predator-prey relations it would have happened everywhere.  I hate to bring RL into it, but you did say "sensible".

Human level intelligence is pretty damn beneficial from a gene propagation point of view, and yet of all the species on earth so far only humans have evolved it.

And force sensitives have evolved elsewhere. Hence the Jedi.

Edited by Sylpheed, 05 June 2014 - 04:33 PM.

• knasserII likes this

#20 Desslok

Desslok

• Members
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:42 PM

You always have one or two stinkers but they are few and far between except in the latter Vong invasion books(which was the same thing over and over)

One or two stinkers? You must be reading different Star Wars books than I am - about 75% of the books range from pure crap (Crystal Star) to mediocre at best (Truce at Bakura) with just a very very very very very VERY tiny amount not sucking (Pretty much everything from the pen of Zhan and Stackpole). I'm sad to see the good bits jettisoned, but if it costs me Thrawn to get rid of Daala and Calista and Kyp, I'll throw the books in a bonfire myself.

• That Blasted Samophlange, Haggard, Yepesnopes and 4 others like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS