Photo

Newbie to AGOT LCG with some noobie questions ;-)

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 yipster1986

yipster1986

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:15 AM

There is some small overlap between the Core Set and the different Deluxes (mainly economy locations like Great Keeps, Summer Seas et al.)  They are a good way to expand out your card pool, but be wary of adding them at different times since they definitely will give a significant power boost to their respective houses.

Cheers mate, I will be upgrading each deck simultaneously. Just need to find a local retailer here who is able to get these Deluxe expansions and ship them to me ;)

'The winters are hard, but the Starks will endure. We always have.'

- Eddard Stark

#42 Daenarys

Daenarys

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:37 AM

Based on what appears to be your playing experience i would suggest each picking a house and buying the respective expansion for this house. Also keep in mind that there is an expansion for the Martells which you may find interesting.

Also generally speaking you start to get a feel for what a cost of a character/ card should be and  normally if a card seems ' over powerful' you have probably missed something or read incorrectly. Obviously there are some cards more powerful than others which is why there is the restricted list.

I mention this because the Lightbringer/ Vigilence scenario thinking the character gains vigilence and not just the attachment is a common mistake

#43 yipster1986

yipster1986

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:26 PM

Next newbie question!

When a character has stealth, can I choose not to use that ability when on the offensive?

- Eddard Stark

#44 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,569 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:49 PM

Well, the practical answer is yes, you can choose not to declare stealth.

The mechanics are much more involved, though. Assigning stealth is a framework event. You can't skip it. When you get to that point in the timing structure, it happens whether you want it to or not. BUT, when it happens, the definition of the keyword allows you to choose 0 targets for stealth. So, the technical answer is that you can choose "no stealth," but you DO have to make a choice.
  • yipster1986 likes this

#45 yipster1986

yipster1986

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 04:38 PM

Thanks

And how does the framework work when challenging.

'A' declares attackers

'B' declares defenders

<player actions>

'A' declares who he declares stealth upon from the chosen defenders by 'B' (this is the part i'm not so sure about)

Resolving of Claim

Check for Deadly characters and resolve this

End challenge

I believe i'm missing something, it's late here :P

- Eddard Stark

#46 Greyjoyyy

Greyjoyyy

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 04:59 PM

• Challenge Declared: The attacking player determines which of the three challenge types will be contested, choosing one for which they have at least one eligible attacker.
  • Declaration of Attackers: the attacking player declares which eligible characters are attacking, and commits them to the challenge, paying any costs needed to do so (often kneeling, although with non-kneeling characters this is not the case, and with some cards such asMotley (Core) a further cost must be met).
  • Player Action Window #1: Starting with the first player and moving clockwise, each player gets the opportunity to declare a standard player action. When all players have consecutively declined the option, the window ends.
  • Declaration of Stealth: For each declared attacker with Stealth the attacking player may declare a character controlled by the defending player without stealth ineligible to defend the challenge.
  • Declaration of Defenders: The defending player may then declare any number of eligible characters as defending, committing them to the challenge by paying the required cost.
  • Player Action Window #2: This window functions the same as PAW#1.
  • Challenge resolution: Determine the winner of the challenge, resolving claim, keywords, passive effects and triggered responses. For more details on the specifics (such as the grouping of the Framework Events into Framework Actions), check out the Q&TR article on the Challenge Phase.

#47 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,569 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:38 PM

One thing to note - because it's something people often miss - is "challenge declared" and "declaration of attackers" above are two steps in the same process of initiating/declaring/calling/issuing (whatever) an attack. The challenge cannot - and does not - begin until both things have happened. And, in fact, you cannot do one without the other. They cannot be separated.

The same is true for the "declaration of stealth" and "declaration of defenders" steps above. They are two steps in the single process of defending the challenge.

The description of "challenge resolution" above may be a little misleading, just because there is so much going on in it. To further break it down, you do the following (in order) when resolving a challenge:

- Determine the winner (by counting up and comparing the total challenge STRs for attacker and defender)
- Resolve claim effect (assuming the attacker won)
- Award "unopposed" bonus (if applicable)
- Award power for "Renown" to appropriate participating characters
- Resolve passive effects to any of the 4 things above (remember: Deadly, Vigilant, and other such keywords are passives)
- Starting with the First Player (no necessarily the person who attacked), players take turns playing responses to anything above.

One of the most important things to remember is that you cannot play any Response until you get to that last bullet point. The temptation is to play responses to winning/losing a challenge before resolving claim, etc. But instead, you wait until that "response" bullet point and then use response to all that happened before in any order. (The exception to this is any response that uses the words "save" or "cancel." Those are used to interrupt the resolution of each bullet point separately.)

#48 yipster1986

yipster1986

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:02 AM

And when you resolve the claim of an Intrigue challenge, do I pick my own card to discard or does my opponent get to choose one blindly?

- Eddard Stark

#49 Khudzlin

Khudzlin

• Members
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:48 AM

It has to be at random, so you can't pick it yourself. Having your opponent pick it blindly is the accepted method.

• yipster1986 likes this

#50 JusticeLeague

JusticeLeague

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:48 PM

Stupid ? Of the day

I am confused on the player actions aspect of the challange phase can anybody please explain this process ( with a card example) more please

Thanks you guys have been such big help!

#51 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,569 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:22 PM

What specifically are you confused about?

A Player Action Window is simply the point in the game where players are allowed to use non-Response triggered effects. You know, event cards or other card abilities that have a phase name or "Any Phase" in bold at the beginning of it. So the "player actions aspect of the challenge phase" is just when during a challenge you can use an effect that starts with "Challenges" or "Any Phase."

If it helps, think of the "anatomy of a challenge" described above as:

1. Attacker names the challenge type and kneels attacking characters.

---> Players get to "do stuff."

2. Attacker assigns stealth, then defender kneels defending characters.

---> Players get to "do stuff."

3. Resolve the challenge.

#52 JusticeLeague

JusticeLeague

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:16 PM

I am mostly confused on the fact of when do you discard event cards and other cards such as the great keep is it at the end of each round or do you discard them at the end of the challenge as one time use cards

#53 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,569 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:56 PM

Event cards go to the discard pile after all responses to them - if any, there are often none - are played. So almost immediately.

Why are you discarding the Great Keep? Characters, attachments and locations don't leave play unless something specifically makes them leave play.

Generally, every effect you trigger (events, character abilities, etc.), the process looks like this:
1. Initiate/trigger the effect.
2. Opportunity to cancel it or play saves against it
3. Resolve the effect
4. Passive effects
5. Responses
6. Move everything that died, was discarded, etc. goes to the dead pile, discard pile, etc.

Then move on to the next triggered effect. So you see it moves pretty quick.

#54 kauai1964

kauai1964

• Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:41 PM

He means Borderland Keep.

#55 piggyducker

piggyducker

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:42 AM

so i can have a character card and location card with the limited keyword on the field at the same time,  they just have to be played in different marshalling phases? what about two locations? they just have to be played in different rounds? lol im just starting as well..

i love jack johnson. wanna come up to my room and talk about it?

#56 piggyducker

piggyducker

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:02 AM

so theres a plot card in the core deck that states the player with the most cards must discard cards until they only have 4 remaining. are character cards discarded or do they go to the dead pile? 

#57 piggyducker

piggyducker

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:05 AM

and also  is there a limit to cards you can have in play at once? ive never seen anything say specifically but there is a diagram in the rule book that has 8 spaces so ive always been unsure...

#58 HastAttack

HastAttack

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:46 AM

You would be better off posting in a new post

a) LIMITED - this is a restriction on playing cards during a round - each player can only "play" one limited card per round - NB There is no limit on the number of cards that you can "put into play"

b) All cards discarded from your hand go to the discard pile - unless there is a stated replacement effect on the card text

c) There are no limits to the number of cards you can have in play

#59 piggyducker

piggyducker

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:57 PM

thank you so much ive never posted on a forum before lol

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS