Photo

Newbie to AGOT LCG with some noobie questions ;-)

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 yipster1986

yipster1986

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:08 AM

Another newbie question :)

In my Stark deck I have the 'Great Keep' location card. It got 0 gold cost and gives me +1 gold every Marshalling phase. There are 2 more of these in my deck. When I get a second one in my hand am I able to play it during the Marshalling phase of the next round and will it count as a seperate location card or do I have to treat it like a duplicate?

I know these are very basic questions, in half a year I'm going to look back to the start of this topic and I'm going to tell myself how stupid I was :P

'The winters are hard, but the Starks will endure. We always have.'

- Eddard Stark

#22 Mig el Pig

Mig el Pig

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:18 AM

A card is either unique or non-unique. Only cards with the flag next to the name (like with Eddard Stark) are Unique and are allowed to have duplicates.

You can have more then 1 non-unique cards with the same name in play at the same time. So you can have 1 or more Great Keeps in play and you cannot duplicate it (unless another card would specifically allow it)

Edited by Mig el Pig, 06 June 2014 - 08:24 AM.

• yipster1986 likes this

#23 yipster1986

yipster1986

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:20 AM

A card is either unique or non-unique, Only cards with the flag next to the name (like with Eddard Stark) are Unique.

You can have more then 1 non-unique cards with the same name in play at the same time. So you can have 1 or more Great Keeps in play.

Thank you :-)

- Eddard Stark

#24 Underworld40k

Underworld40k

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:21 AM

Don't worry, some of us who have been playing far longer often come on here and ask a question that causes a few raised eyebrows in the 'you know this already' way.

All cards fall into one of 2 categories, unique and non unique as denoted by the little black flag to the left of the cards name.

If there is a little flag present then that card is considered unique, you can not have more than one of the card in play at any given time (or take control of a copy of a unique card you already control). If a copy of a unique card is in your dead pile then you can no longer put any copy of that card into play.

This is where duplicates come into play, you can play another copy of a unique card as a duplicate that grants a response to the unique card that basically reads 'discard duplicate to save from kill/discard/return to hand/deck/shadows'. 

Duplicates are NOT attachments (a mistake i made when i started as you 'attach' them).

If there is no flag the card is considered 'non unique' and you can have up to 3 copies (the max you can have in your deck) in play at any given time, each card acts a separate entity, so if you played 1 great keep in set up, a 2nd in the first round and a 3rd in the second round in the 3rd round you would count plot gold+3 (and +1  and +2 in the previous rounds)

If they where characters like the direwolf pup they all can be declared in challenges individually (i want to attack with 1, and leave 2 for defense or any combination of such). They are killed individually and saved individually.

#25 yipster1986

yipster1986

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:19 AM

Don't worry, some of us who have been playing far longer often come on here and ask a question that causes a few raised eyebrows in the 'you know this already' way.

All cards fall into one of 2 categories, unique and non unique as denoted by the little black flag to the left of the cards name.

If there is a little flag present then that card is considered unique, you can not have more than one of the card in play at any given time (or take control of a copy of a unique card you already control). If a copy of a unique card is in your dead pile then you can no longer put any copy of that card into play.

This is where duplicates come into play, you can play another copy of a unique card as a duplicate that grants a response to the unique card that basically reads 'discard duplicate to save from kill/discard/return to hand/deck/shadows'. 

Duplicates are NOT attachments (a mistake i made when i started as you 'attach' them).

If there is no flag the card is considered 'non unique' and you can have up to 3 copies (the max you can have in your deck) in play at any given time, each card acts a separate entity, so if you played 1 great keep in set up, a 2nd in the first round and a 3rd in the second round in the 3rd round you would count plot gold+3 (and +1  and +2 in the previous rounds)

If they where characters like the direwolf pup they all can be declared in challenges individually (i want to attack with 1, and leave 2 for defense or any combination of such). They are killed individually and saved individually.

Thanks for explaining!

Just to sketch an example to determine if I get this right

My girl plays Targaryen and she has the Rhaegal card in play. For whatever reason he dies and gets put into the dead pile. When she draws new cards and Rhaegal comes along the second time she cannot put it into play because the first card has already been killed?

- Eddard Stark

#26 Underworld40k

Underworld40k

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:23 AM

Thanks for explaining!

Just to sketch an example to determine if I get this right

My girl plays Targaryen and she has the Rhaegal card in play. For whatever reason he dies and gets put into the dead pile. When she draws new cards and Rhaegal comes along the second time she cannot put it into play because the first card has already been killed?

That's exactly right.

Rhaegal in the core set has the ability to search the deck for another copy of himself and attach it as a duplicate.

If you starting to add cards to the decks you already have you will often find that this is the dangerous issue with unique characters.

#27 yipster1986

yipster1986

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:10 PM

Next one

In our Lannister (me) vs Baratheon (girlfriend) game the following situation occured:

She has Robert Baratheon in play (Renown. STR 3, MIL+POW - When Robert Baratheon claims power for renown, he claims an additional power) and Lightbringer is attached (Vigilant. Response: Kneel Lightbringer to save attached character from being killed).

I have Ser Jaime Lannister in play (Deadly. Infamy. STR3, MIL+INT - Ser Jaime Lannister does not kneel to attack or defend a MIL challenge.)

What happens if I attack with a MIL challenge and she decides to defend with Robert.

Both STR is 3, but the attacker gains the advantage which means I win that challenge. I have Deadly but the attachment on the defending card has a response to save him from death. Because of the claim on the plot she still needs to kill one of her characters. She chooses another one which has not been used to defend my challenge.

Is this the correct way to go about this? It feels like the Robert Baratheon card is immensely powerful with that attachment and the two extra power tokens he gets from renown.

- Eddard Stark

#28 Khudzlin

Khudzlin

• Members
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:15 PM

It's mostly correct: claim happens before Deadly. So you can defend a military with a weak character you were going to kill for claim anyway, and avoid Deadly (since there would be no eligible character to kill for it).

#29 Underworld40k

Underworld40k

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:01 PM

Yep, the scenario plays out like you describe. Military claim is at the defenders discretion (for choice of who to die) so it can be any character they have in play, deadly can only be applied to a participating character.

In the core set decks you have limited control options (the decks are designed more with the 4 player melee system in mind in my opinion). The best counter that i can think of is lannisport brothel that can keep robert knelt.

#30 yipster1986

yipster1986

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:17 PM

Yep, the scenario plays out like you describe. Military claim is at the defenders discretion (for choice of who to die) so it can be any character they have in play, deadly can only be applied to a participating character.

In the core set decks you have limited control options (the decks are designed more with the 4 player melee system in mind in my opinion). The best counter that i can think of is lannisport brothel that can keep robert knelt.

True but because of Lightbringer Robert gains Vigilance which can make him stand after the Baratheon side wins a challenge (say MIL for example) and then issue a PWR challenge so he can again 2 extra PWR tokens if victorious.

The Baratheons in the core set are hard to beat imo

Edited by yipster1986, 06 June 2014 - 03:17 PM.

- Eddard Stark

#31 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,769 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:45 PM

Take another look at Lightbringer. The ATTACHMENT itself has vigilant. It does not give vigilant to the character it is on. So when the Bara player wins a challenge, the attachment stands (ready to save again), not the character.
  • yipster1986 likes this

#32 yipster1986

yipster1986

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:17 PM

Take another look at Lightbringer. The ATTACHMENT itself has vigilant. It does not give vigilant to the character it is on. So when the Bara player wins a challenge, the attachment stands (ready to save again), not the character.

Cheers mate, we've been doing that one wrong ;)

- Eddard Stark

#33 Underworld40k

Underworld40k

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:18 PM

Like i said, lots of subtleties.

Its a big thing to watch for with keywords that some things have them as part of the card (like light bringer being vigilant itself) while others grant the keyword to the attached character (like gutter rats cunning).

#34 JusticeLeague

JusticeLeague

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:03 AM

i am also a newbie with no prior card game experience who needs help if i am ever going to be able to understand gotm lcg

some of the card attributions are kind of confusing us (my wife and I)

such as

Baratheon Stinking Drung< Condition: Attached character gets  -4 while participating in a challenge. 

does this mean she can attatch it to one of my opposing defending or attacking  house cards to lower my strength if not how would this  -4 help to attache it to another Baratheon card

#35 Mig el Pig

Mig el Pig

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:14 AM

Stinking Drunk is an attachment, so the baratheon player can attach it to a character, his or his opponents, during the marshaling phase. Unless the character has the no attachments keyword like The War Host of The North. Since this is a negative attachment you normally would want to place it on your opponents characters.

When the character with Stinking Drunk is in a challenge he has -4 strength; with a minimum of 0 strength.

Suppose a character with 3 strength has stinking drunk attached and it participates as a defending character. It's strength would immediately drop to 0. If neither player takes an action the challenge will be considered unopposed due to your total strength of 0.

Now if the character received a Strength boost I'm You Writ Small which gives a character +2 strength he would have 1 strength. (3-4+2= 1).

Edited by Mig el Pig, 08 June 2014 - 08:15 AM.

#36 JusticeLeague

JusticeLeague

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:29 AM

Thank you so then I would assume also all attachment cards strength bonus cards and such all need to be presented in played during the marshaling phase not just as needed to defend orattack during the challenge phase

#37 JusticeLeague

JusticeLeague

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:33 AM

Unless it is a scenario of attaching two characters such as Sances start to lady to defend an attack to gain strength together Dearing the challenge face or does this to me to be done during the marshaling say I know most of this is probably common sense

#38 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,769 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:09 AM

General plea: When posting with something that uses autocorrect, please proofread....

All attachments, locations and characters must be played in the Marshalling phase. If you don't play them from your hand then, you cannot access them from your hand during other phases. (Unless some card effect specifically says you can.)

Once they are in play, you play the effects as they are written on the card. The effects could be continuous (ie, "always on"), passive (ie, when the condition happens, the effect happens whether you want it to or not), or triggered (ie, the controller chooses to use it during the phase indicated by the first, bold word of the effect, or as a response, as similarly indicated).

#39 yipster1986

yipster1986

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:55 AM

This is not a rule question but I'm thinking about expanding the core game set with the Deluxe expansions from the 4 houses. These expansions, are they the same cards like the core set or are they brand new? Or should I start investing in the cycle packs rather than the Deluxe expansions?

- Eddard Stark

#40 Cwethan

Cwethan

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:01 AM

There is some small overlap between the Core Set and the different Deluxes (mainly economy locations like Great Keeps, Summer Seas et al.)  They are a good way to expand out your card pool, but be wary of adding them at different times since they definitely will give a significant power boost to their respective houses.

• yipster1986 likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS