Photo

Newbie to AGOT LCG with some noobie questions ;-)

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 yipster1986

yipster1986

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:40 AM

Hey there folks,

First let me explain something. I'm a new player to AGOT LCG and a newbie in card games in general. My girlfriend bought me the core game set for my birthday as I'm really into the whole George RR Martin universe.

Now last night we played our first game which went sloooooooooooow as neither of us have any real experience with such games. And a couple of questions arose, especially during the Challenge phase of a round.

I'm just going to sketch a couple of situations here:

1. I issue a military challenge, with a combined STR of 13. She decides not to block, do I immediatly gain +1 power because of the unopposed challenge? If a character has renown, do i gain an additional +1 power on top of it?
  2. I issue an intrigue challenge and she does not attempt to block it either. Do I gain 1 power or do I get to pick 1 of her cards she needs to discard? (depending on the plot card)

That's all for now, but if I have any more questions I'll post them in this very post :-)

Edit: Oh yes, is there a video on youtube that displays an actual game? I've watched the tutorial videos but an actual game might provide a better view on certain situations.

Edited by yipster1986, 05 June 2014 - 04:45 AM.

'The winters are hard, but the Starks will endure. We always have.'

- Eddard Stark

#2 Khudzlin

Khudzlin

• Members
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:25 AM

Resolving a challenge goes like this:

1. Determine winner
  2. Apply claim (if the attacker won)
  3. Reward unopposed (if the attacker won against 0 STR)
  4. Award Renown

In both of your examples, you win the challenge unopposed, so you get a power on your House for that and any character with Renown gets a power, in addition to the claim effect.

• Devon Greatwolf and yipster1986 like this

#3 Underworld40k

Underworld40k

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:34 AM

Hello Yipster and welcome to the game!

Just to add to what Khudzlin has said, in any instance where the challenge is unopposed the attacking player gets to resolve the claim of that challenge and as a bonus get 1 power for the challenge being unopposed.

#4 yipster1986

yipster1986

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:32 AM

Right, thanks for answering!

And if I win an unopposed military challenge, does she still need to discard one of her character cards?

- Eddard Stark

#5 Daenarys

Daenarys

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:52 AM

Right, thanks for answering!

And if I win an unopposed military challenge, does she still need to discard one of her character cards?

Yes, assuming the claim on the plot card was one and there were no increases in place.

#6 -Istaril

-Istaril

• Members
  • 776 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:24 AM

And just to avoid any confusion in terminology, in satisfying military claim the losing defender has to kill (not discard) a number of different characters equal to the claim value. This is relevant primarily because of the inability to play another copy of a unique card already in the dead pile.

Edited by -Istaril, 05 June 2014 - 07:25 AM.

#7 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:52 AM

Note that the power you get for an unopposed challenge is IN ADDITION to the regular effects you get for winning that type of challenge. The defender cannot avoid the consequences of losing a challenge by deciding not to defend.

#8 yipster1986

yipster1986

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:34 AM

That explains a lot, thanks.

I'll keep asking questions in here if I have them ;)

- Eddard Stark

#9 Underworld40k

Underworld40k

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:32 AM

One other thing i noticed in your initial post about renown.

Just to clarify, when a character you control participates in a challenge and wins 'they' claim the power not 'you', which means that it goes on the character and not your house card.

This is important because power on characters cant be moved via a power challenge but will be lost if the character is removed from play for any reason (killed, discarded, returned to hand etc)

Keep asking questions, this game has a lot of subtle interactions and even the basic timing structure and rules can be a little daunting at first :)

#10 yipster1986

yipster1986

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:36 AM

Just to clarify, when a character you control participates in a challenge and wins 'they' claim the power not 'you', which means that it goes on the character and not your house card.

This is important because power on characters cant be moved via a power challenge but will be lost if the character is removed from play for any reason (killed, discarded, returned to hand etc)

Woah! We've been playing it wrong then.

I really need to read up on that it seems.

Am I correct to assume that the power coins that's claimed by a character counts for the total power of that House but when that character is killed/discarded/returned to hand it is put back in the 'throne room'?

Edited by yipster1986, 05 June 2014 - 09:43 AM.

- Eddard Stark

#11 Daenarys

Daenarys

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:50 AM

Woah! We've been playing it wrong then.

I really need to read up on that it seems.

Am I correct to assume that the power coins that's claimed by a character counts for the total power of that House but when that character is killed/discarded/returned to hand it is put back in the 'throne room'?

Yes that is correct. It will take half a dozen games before you get more fluid with everything and in the meantime keep posting questions as there will be numerous

• yipster1986 likes this

#12 HastAttack

HastAttack

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:27 AM

There are quite a few tournament games available on You Tube - probably best to look at uploads by Team Covenant (though they also have several other LCG games)

Watching the vids could be a good thing to get a general feel for the game play, but it's often not too clear as to what is going on unless you are fairly familiar with the game and the cards

• yipster1986 likes this

#13 yipster1986

yipster1986

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:08 PM

There are quite a few tournament games available on You Tube - probably best to look at uploads by Team Covenant (though they also have several other LCG games)

Watching the vids could be a good thing to get a general feel for the game play, but it's often not too clear as to what is going on unless you are fairly familiar with the game and the cards

Yeah, I've watched a couple of them now and it is indeed hard to get a good idea of what is going on. I can easily distinguish the various phases in their games but I cannot tell what each card does.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About this whole Renown keyword:

Another sketch of a situation, just to make sure I get this right.

I'm playing as House Stark and have Eddard Stark in play. He has 'Deadly', 'Renown' and 'Stalwart' as keywords I believe.

• I issue a Military challenge: When won my opponent can choose one of his/her characters to move to the dead pile, depending on the claim value of the plot card. Because of the 'Deadly' keyword 1 additional character needs to be killed assuming the defender doesn't have equal or more 'Deadly' participating characters. + Eddard claims 1 power because of 'Renown' (which counts towards the total of House Stark.)
  • No Intrigue challenge can be issued because Eddard Stark doesn't have Intrigue available.
  • I issue a Power challenge: When won my opponent loses one or more power tokens from his House card depending on the claim value of the plot card. These power tokens go to my House card. + Eddard claims 1 additional power because of 'Renown'

When Eddard gets 'killed/discarded/returned to hand' he loses all these power tokens he gained but because he is 'Stalwart' he is put on top of my deck instead of the discarded or dead pile.

This might seem extremely basic for all you lot but for an extreme beginner like myself this is quite a handful to wrap my head around. :)

- Eddard Stark

#14 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:27 PM

A few things:

1) Remember that you issue each challenge separately, one at a time, with as many characters as you want and resolve it completely before you initiate the next. So, after you issue your military or power challenge with Eddard, he will be knelt. If he's knelt, you cannot use him when you initiate your next challenge (or to defend in a challenge initiated by an opponent). You won't be able to issue both a military and a power challenge with Eddard unless you find a way to stand him between the challenges.

2) The extra character that dies for the Deadly keyword must be a participating, defending character. That means the defending can avoid killing someone for Deadly if they don't have any defending characters - or if their only defending character was already killed for claim in a military challenge.

3) Deadly works in any challenge type. So if Eddard issues a POWER challenge, the defending player will have to kill a participating character if they come up on the losing end of the Deadly count, too.

4) Remember that Deadly works whether the attacker wins or loses the challenge. You can LOSE the military challenge and the defender could still have to kill a character for coming up short on the Deadly count.
  • yipster1986 likes this

#15 yipster1986

yipster1986

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:35 PM

A few things:

1) Remember that you issue each challenge separately, one at a time, with as many characters as you want and resolve it completely before you initiate the next. So, after you issue your military or power challenge with Eddard, he will be knelt. If he's knelt, you cannot use him when you initiate your next challenge (or to defend in a challenge initiated by an opponent). You won't be able to issue both a military and a power challenge with Eddard unless you find a way to stand him between the challenges.

2) The extra character that dies for the Deadly keyword must be a participating, defending character. That means the defending can avoid killing someone for Deadly if they don't have any defending characters - or if their only defending character was already killed for claim in a military challenge.

3) Deadly works in any challenge type. So if Eddard issues a POWER challenge, the defending player will have to kill a participating character if they come up on the losing end of the Deadly count, too.

4) Remember that Deadly works whether the attacker wins or loses the challenge. You can LOSE the military challenge and the defender could still have to kill a character for coming up short on the Deadly count.

1) Yes, I was aware of this. I only stated the different possibilities I had with just that single card.

2) Indeed, it has to be a participating defender.

3) I wasn't aware of this fact! Something more to add to the list 'not to forget' when I next play.

4) and another rule I wasn't aware of ;-)

you see, lots and lots to learn. But enjoying every minute of it :-)

- Eddard Stark

#16 yipster1986

yipster1986

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:31 AM

Next question is about the 'Limited' keyword.

You're only allowed to play 1 card with the 'Limited' keyword per round. So if I play a location card with the 'Limited' keyword in the Marshalling phase I'm not allowed to attack with a character which has the 'Limited' keyword (if there are any, not sure) in the Challenge phase am I correct?

- Eddard Stark

#17 Underworld40k

Underworld40k

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:51 AM

The limited keyword means you can only play 1 limited keyword per round, aside from that it does not stop you using that card in the round you played it, so if you payed a Northern Fiefdom you would be able to use its marshaling action in the round you played it. 

The limited keyword only interacts on cards you 'play' from you're hand.

This is one of those wonderful nuances that we mentioned.

First when you 'play' a card you are marshaling it for its gold cost (even if that cost is 0) from your hand, a put in to play effect is not 'playing' the card and bypasses the usual restrictions raised by the limited keyword, see the greyjoy character first mate for an example.

Then, just for fun, this would still allow responses for a location entering play.

#18 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:53 AM

No. Playing and attacking are completely different things. "Playing" only refers to Marshaling a card (other than an event). Once the Limited card is in play, it acts like any other card of its type.

#19 HastAttack

HastAttack

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:09 AM

without introducing too many complications ...

Support of the South is a event - kneel 2 influence to put up to 2 locations with total cost into play (from your discard pile)

As you "put into play" - as opposed to "play" - these cards, there is no limited restriction

Recognising the difference between the two is very important - Limited is just a "play" restriction

#20 yipster1986

yipster1986

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:44 AM

Aha, thanks for the explanation!

I got some more questions later on, in the middle of a Stark (me) vs Targaryen (girlfriend) game at the moment. ;)

- Eddard Stark

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS