The "ignore" settings

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:02 PM

Well, for my own part I choose not to ignore anybody. I think that I just don't really view this forum as an "experience" like others do. If I dont agree with some users or see their posts as offensive, I just don't care or just ignore them (in the real sense). I think it's extremely exaggerated when some anonymous forum user dislikes so much another anonymous forum user that they can't even look at his/her posts. If you get so worked up about some posts that you can't stand, not even reading their posts because you can simply not read them, but just looking at the username, there could be something wrong with you. I guess I just prefer to take or leave the forum as it is, plus some good can come from it. At first I hated Glaurung and just saw him like this guy who complains in his weird Tommy Wiseau voice but now I've come to respect him a lot more, and his posts have become a lot more sensible.
  • booored, mtpereira and PsychoRocka like this

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#22 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:00 PM

wow, a sane man appears.

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#23 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:43 PM

Well, for my own part I choose not to ignore anybody. I think that I just don't really view this forum as an "experience" like others do. If I dont agree with some users or see their posts as offensive, I just don't care or just ignore them (in the real sense). I think it's extremely exaggerated when some anonymous forum user dislikes so much another anonymous forum user that they can't even look at his/her posts. If you get so worked up about some posts that you can't stand, not even reading their posts because you can simply not read them, but just looking at the username, there could be something wrong with you. I guess I just prefer to take or leave the forum as it is, plus some good can come from it. At first I hated Glaurung and just saw him like this guy who complains in his weird Tommy Wiseau voice but now I've come to respect him a lot more, and his posts have become a lot more sensible.

Whilst I do agree with you and you make very good points it can be very hard to ignore when they constantly undermine, insult and ridicule your playing style. It gets old really quickly when two handed is referred to as cheating, retarded, wrong, far easier etc over and over. It makes you feel disrespected and just crummy in general.
My wins and gameplay experiences are just as valid as anyone elses (in fact many people play all sorts of house rules, I follow the rules to a tee minus the table talk rule considering I play two handed) and people constantly inferring/saying they are not is infuriating. I personally don't care what play style people use or if they have house rules etc and would never berate them for this I just personally prefer to not change anything bar table talk.

Honestly that's what drove me over the edge, insults and whatnot I don't care about and when I'm wrong I'm happy to admit it but people inferring I'm a cheater and noob just cause of my play style and people going berserk when they are proved wrong and who wont admit they are wrong and end up confusing new players who can't tell which rule is right cause the person who turned out to be wrong won't back down I can't stand for.

Also, I much the same as you disliked 7thEye for insulting two handed play and MyNeighbourTrololo for just being a troll/quite abrasive but now I respect them both and constantly see posts by both of them that are really insightful and a good read. Also Trololo makes goddamn AWESOME custom cards.

Edited by PsychoRocka, 11 June 2014 - 06:46 PM.

#24 JsBingley

JsBingley

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:34 PM

One game, A hundred ways to play it.

Edited by JsBingley, 11 June 2014 - 07:40 PM.

#25 born to lose

born to lose

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:36 PM

I don't know what ya'll are talking about... all i see is this

lol.png

j/k!   :P

• richsabre likes this

#26 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:43 PM

@PsychoRocka: Fair enough. If some users and their posts are so infuriating to you or really undermine your self-esteem, then sure, blocking them seems reasonable. But that's exactly my point. Why do people give this forum so much undeserved importance in their lives? Why do people care so much for what other users say about how they play? I mean, I have no reason to think it is important what some guy from the other side of the world who I'm never going to meet says about how I play solo. You yourself said it: "My wins and gameplay experiences are just as valid as anyone elses", so why even care what booored thinks about it?

btw, on the subject of Trololo, I used to like him a lot more earlier, when he mostly made contributions and normal posts and didn't think himself to be much funnier than he actually is. But oh well, people change, and he's still a good fella.

Edit: Then again there also other scenarios. If someone was not critisizing the way I play but instead insulting me or flaming me directly, I wouldn't really care about it, but instead of ignoring it I would report him for sure. This is also the case for someone who gives bad rules advise or theaches wrong things to new players, but that's because it either doesn't have anything to do with the game or because it can be "harmful" to other people. 

Edited by Gizlivadi, 11 June 2014 - 07:58 PM.

• booored, Catastrophic09 and PsychoRocka like this

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS