Ssi-Ruuk Thoughts?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JoeLastowski

JoeLastowski

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:52 AM

While I know they never got a lot of usage in the EU beyond "Truce at Bakura", I always enjoyed the Ssi-Ruuk, their weird d4 battle droid ships, entechment, and the fact that they were basically Velociraptors.  

Does anyone have any thoughts on how you'd translate them into EoE/AoR stats?  Obviously P'wecks would be lesser to the actual Ssi-Ruuk, but what about their energy weapons?  What about shields on their ships?  What about entechment?

I'm currently about to run my players into Ssi-Ruuvi space, and any thoughts on how I might stat them up would be helpful.  Thanks.

#2 awayputurwpn

awayputurwpn

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:13 PM

Unless you're planning on introducing the Ssi-Ruuk as a playable species (I'd go with a modified droid template to represent the disparity between castes), this can largely be hand-waved. I'd say the ion paddle Beamer is a medium ranged weapon...perhaps a Heavy Blaster Pistol with the Stun quality at a high rating (6-10?)

Hand wave everything else. Enteched souls are power packs, a Ssi-Ruu can have whatever stats he needs. My thoughts are to give a high Brawn value, and possibly bump up their Soak as well.
  • Midnight_X2 likes this

#3 Kirdan Kenobi

Kirdan Kenobi

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:04 PM

I would think carefully before incorporating this into your campaign. Entechment is just dang creepy, and it may make your campaign darker than your players care for.

• Midnight_X2 likes this

"Who's scruffy lookin'"

#4 JoeLastowski

JoeLastowski

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:43 AM

My players are all in metal bands, so "dark" doesn't really bother them.  Good to think about, though.

I ended up hand-waving a lot of it, and since there are no force-sensitives in the party, the reality of Entechment may never become obvious.  They only fought P'wecks in groups as they moved across a planetoid beyond Bakura where a mining colony (LV-426) had stopped transmitting information (hence their mission to find out what happened).  Eventually they'll find some bigger Ssi-Ruuk, who're trying to consecrate this planetoid to make a safe staging point for their eventual invasion of Bakura (we're just post ep 4 right now, so there's time).    

We'll see where it goes.

Here are the stats I used so far, if folks're interested.

P’wecks [minion group]   x5 per group  (each addit adds 1 rank, so full group attacks at 3y, 2g)  

Wound: 5 ea

Soak: 3 Size: around 3 ft tall/1 meterish

3g : claws, Melee, Dam 6, Crit: 4

3g : paddle beamer, Ranged(light), R: Med, Dam 6, Crit 2  *all strain (even to droids), Crit= +1 dam

* Swarm Engagement: If ranged attack misses a P’weck eng with a PC, that attack does ½ dam to that PC

*Smell Hunting: 3g to track in odd lighting situations, cannot be “blinded”

Ssi-Ruuk - Red (military caste)

Wound: 20 Strain 15

Soak: 3, 7 vs energy weapons

Size: around 2 meters (wookieeish height) when fully standing, can crouch to 1 m.

2y2g : claws, Melee, Dam 10, Crit 3

2y2g: heavy paddle beamer, Ranged(heavy), R: Med, Dam 12 *all strain (even to droids)

*Flee When Wounded: Will make all efforts not to die on unconsecrated planets

Ssi-Ruuk - Green (lowest caste)

Wound: 17 Strain 12

Soak: 3, 6 vs energy weapons

Size: around 2 meters (wookieeish height) when fully standing, can crouch to 1 m.

1y2g : claws, Melee, Dam 9, Crit 3

1y2g: heavy paddle beamer, Ranged(heavy), R: Med, Dam 12 *all strain (even to droids)

*Flee When Wounded: Will make all efforts not to die on unconsecrated planets

#5 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:07 AM

Your claw damage is more than Brawn 5 with a vibro-ax inflicts. That's fairly absurd.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#6 awayputurwpn

awayputurwpn

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:19 AM

Your claw damage is more than Brawn 5 with a vibro-ax inflicts. That's fairly absurd.

Might be that there's hidden instances of Feral Strength, a "Claws" species ability that may or may not be stronger than Trandoshans', etc.
  • JoeLastowski likes this

#7 JoeLastowski

JoeLastowski

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:33 AM

Hm, I was just trying to channel the Velociraptor feel I got when reading about them.  I kind of wanted their melee attacks to be on par with energy weapons... but I can see where that might end up being overpowered.  The hope is that they'll find a way to not have to fight the bigger ones... but I should probably drop that damage down a little, now that I look at it.  

Thanks!

#8 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:03 AM

Hm, I was just trying to channel the Velociraptor feel I got when reading about them.  I kind of wanted their melee attacks to be on par with energy weapons... but I can see where that might end up being overpowered.  The hope is that they'll find a way to not have to fight the bigger ones... but I should probably drop that damage down a little, now that I look at it.  

Thanks!

Perhaps give them the equivalent of 2-weapon fighting but allowing them to claw twice, or claw + bite.

• JoeLastowski likes this

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#9 yeti1069

yeti1069

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:09 AM

Thanks!

Perhaps give them the equivalent of 2-weapon fighting but allowing them to claw twice, or claw + bite.

I'd definitely lower the damage considerably, but allow them to get in an extra attack as per the TWF rules.

• kaosoe likes this

#10 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:05 AM

Thanks!

I'd definitely lower the damage considerably, but allow them to get in an extra attack as per the TWF rules.

Optionally, go with Linked 1 on the claws. Dropping the Damage to 6 (possibly with Pierce 1 or 2) would be a good attack.

• kaosoe likes this

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#11 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:27 AM

Yes. I intended to suggest lowering the damage if the adversary gets to activate multiple hits. Something must have happened between brain and keyboard.

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#12 oriondean

oriondean

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:34 PM

just read up on entechment on wookipedia.... O_O .......that is creepy. can the life essences that get "worn out" in their machines eventually join the force or do they get evaporated out of the galaxy without joining the force?

if so i would say creepy campaign so i would expect your players to be screaming "KILL IT! KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!"

#13 JoeLastowski

JoeLastowski

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:59 PM

So the whole Ssi-Ruuk event actually went really well.  There wasn't too much all-out melee, except vs. P'weck minions, and they never got to claws.  

Our bodyguard ended up challenging one of the red generals to a duel, and the crits were in his favor (also, I lowered the claw damage a bit).  Also, since the death star's explosion killed Luke, Leia, and most everyone in the blast radius (or on Yavin), Luke was not there to use the Force to sense the details of entechment (and there aren't any force-sensitives in the party), so I instead had a pariah yellow (priest) class Ssi-Ruuk "Shwer-Chi" who was force sensitive (though he didn't realize what that meant) end up befriending the party and convincing them to leave without killing any actual ssi-ruuk (after our Slicer jury-rigged a translation program into some Ssi-Ruuk tech so that they could get basic communication despite the language barrier.  Meanwhile, Shwer-Chi's brother (also a priest class) is performing a ritual that could take months or years, consecrating planetoid LV-426 (and setting the stage for the Invasion of Bakura to happen right on schedule).  The party knows about the ritual, but none of them have read Truce At Bakura, and they preferred getting away from the space velociraptors and just leaving them in wild space.  

Meanwhile, Shwer-Chi went with the party, because he's been having dreams of numbers... which will eventually lead them to Dagobah.  Whether or not they warn Bakura or the Empire about the Ssi-Ruuk remains to be seen.  The party realizes that Entechment is bad, but so far have left it as as "well, evil exists... what're you gonna do?" scenario.  As long as it's not directly threatening them, I think they'll ignore it... or maybe try to sell the one entechment battery they have to a high bidder.

But even just naming the planetoid "LV-426" got everyone in a mood to meet Aliens, and they've also all seen Jurassic Park, so these little-known velociraptors from beyond known space served their purpose.  Thanks for all the advice everyone.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS