The Antlered Crown

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#121 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:09 PM

Good point about having Treebeard and OHaUH Gandalf working together at the same time. The heroes can go ahead and kick back in their lounge chairs with pipes full of Old Toby, 'cause they won't have to do much else!

• danpoage, chuckles and PsychoRocka like this

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#122 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:38 PM

Good point about having Treebeard and OHaUH Gandalf working together at the same time. The heroes can go ahead and kick back in their lounge chairs with pipes full of Old Toby, 'cause they won't have to do much else!

I'm picturing a Bilbo-Frodo deck that uses threat reduction, "classic" hobbit stuff like Silver Lamp with Small Target, Fast Hitch, and Elf-Stone to play big allies early on like Gildor, Treebeard, and Gandalf.

• Nickpes likes this

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#123 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:09 PM

After he was spoiled I made a proxy of Treebeard and have been running him in one of my two decks. So far he has actually surprised me by being a bit less powerful than I thought he would be.

I find that the enters play exhausted drawback is actually much worse than I expected it to be.

In most situations in this game the earlier and faster you can get cards out and working for you the better. All it can take to lose is one bad round or one especially nasty encounter card coming out at the wrong time/too soon. I find that almost all situations in which I can play Treebeard I am instead playing other cards that will have an immediate effect against encounter cards I need to fend off/get rid of and sometimes he never hits the board as there are always better options in my hand that will do something straight away and help put me in a better position for the next round. Don't get me wrong when you get him out and going he is incredibly powerful and helps massively but spending 4 resources to get him out exhausted can be a really big deal. Even just getting some much weaker ally out may be crucial to chump block an especially nasty foe or provide the last point or two of attack you need to dispatch a nasty foe.

Not going to take him out or anything but I find hes best when you are already doing quite well and can afford to spend resources on something that will not do anything for a round.

• Catastrophic09 and chuckles like this

#124 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:18 PM

After he was spoiled I made a proxy of Treebeard and have been running him in one of my two decks. So far he has actually surprised me by being a bit less powerful than I thought he would be.

I find that the enters play exhausted drawback is actually much worse than I expected it to be.

In most situations in this game the earlier and faster you can get cards out and working for you the better. All it can take to lose is one bad round or one especially nasty encounter card coming out at the wrong time/too soon. I find that almost all situations in which I can play Treebeard I am instead playing other cards that will have an immediate effect against encounter cards I need to fend off/get rid of and sometimes he never hits the board as there are always better options in my hand that will do something straight away and help put me in a better position for the next round. Don't get me wrong when you get him out and going he is incredibly powerful and helps massively but spending 4 resources to get him out exhausted can be a really big deal. Even just getting some much weaker ally out may be crucial to chump block an especially nasty foe or provide the last point or two of attack you need to dispatch a nasty foe.

Not going to take him out or anything but I find hes best when you are already doing quite well and can afford to spend resources on something that will not do anything for a round.

Also, probably not extensive enough testing yet. These are just first thoughts =)

#125 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:29 PM

I agree with most of your analysis, but you did not count the difference in stats. Gandalf is a better quester and defender, and an equal attacker. I also think in many games that 8 rounds is on the high end.

Well there are direct damage effects (archery, etc) out there that can make Treebeard look more useful, but in general I would agree that Gandalf is better defensively. But, as others have pointed out to me, he can use both of his actions during combat, which gives him a slight versatility advantage.

In general, quests do tend to be shorter than 8 rounds, which gives Gandalf an advantage, but even a 6-round game is looking at a 8-10 threat increase, which is pretty substantial.

My opinion is: if you can deal with the threat increase, take Gandalf (and Treebeard?). If you can't keep that threat down, Treebeard is the only logical choice of the two cards. Gandalf is generally more powerful, but his cost is often prohibitive. Treebeard is a great alternative that has a much more reasonable cost, but without the huge drop in power that you would expect from such a cost reduction. You might say that Treebeard is a better value.
  • PsychoRocka likes this

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#126 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:40 PM

Very very true, and this is part of the reason why I decided I liked Gandalf better than Treebeard earlier in this thread. But Gandalf can't fit into as many decks as Treebeard because many decks can't handle the threat. Also, if you are putting them into a deck that quests very well but is weak at combat, Treebeard being able to do 2 combat actions sometimes makes him a better fit for that deck.

Generally I would prefer Gandalf if you can deal with his threat cost, but Treebeard can certainly be a very good addition to many decks that would implode with Gandalf's presence.

Agreed. He is certainly a good alternative. After all, he's a well designed card.

• Glaurung likes this

#127 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:28 AM

Treebeard give a new breath for some decks. Like a hobbits decks for example. He will make many decks much more stronger. Some fun decks will become more stable with him and can play against some difficult quest. He bring some new opportunities for deck building. Very cool
  • danpoage, chuckles and PsychoRocka like this

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#128 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:37 AM

I think if you're going to make a deck that wants to make Treebeard a main feature, then you should build around reducing his weakness. for example, building a mono-leadership deck with Strength of Arms. Basically need to find ways to get him into play that allows him to do something on the first round or get him into play in a way that doesn't require such a high cost (elf-stone, vilya, etc.).
  • danpoage likes this

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#129 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:06 AM

His cost is not that big, so maybe a very good tale.

• joezim007 likes this

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#130 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 04:19 PM

I was bored and started looking at the old articles.  The Spirit event caught my eye again as it's a perfect fit in my Grlory/Idraen secrecy deck.  One of the problems of secrecy is handling "the first enemy".  Many of the encounter sets we get now require us to start the game with a chosen enemy in the staging area. This card gives another way to get rid of that enemy without having to engage it.  (Or at least soften it up so that we can take it out with one hit.)  Really looking forward to sleeving up this card.

Tactics, we hardly knew ye.

Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#131 FetaCheese

FetaCheese

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 05:50 PM

Dont be so dramatic... it's still a 2 cost even that you will use 2-4 times per quest at best, it doesn't guarantee a kill, it requires timing and the revealed enemy's threat can diminish its results. Big deal when we have blood of numenor/gondorian fire Boromir or 7 attack Eomer. It's ok in mono spirit and quest heavy decks, so questing decks will be picked up more by players. I like it.

Same goes for the older posts about treebeard... He is such a late and massive investment during the critical early stages of the game that the pay off HAS to be good. He seems balanced to me.

#132 Nickpes

Nickpes

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:57 PM

I find that ................

I have not made any playtesting and your post is very interesting. But there is a comment I would like to make. Treebeard is a equivalent to Radagast, more powerfull and a bit cheaper. His role is to help build an ent deck. I believe that ent allies will start to appear (especially in treason of Saruman Saga Box) thus he will be of much more use, or else his ability would make no sense apart from reading himself (useless IMO)

Lord of all Noldor

A star in the night And a bearer of hope

He rides into his glorious battle alone Farewell to the valliant warlord

#133 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 12:18 AM

Treebeard looks very powerful to me. All those ents lools loke unbeatable for me…. Will see how it goes

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#134 Noccus

Noccus

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 02:15 AM

We'll surely get some new ent cards in the next saga box.
Speaking of which, we should get a announcement article soon!
"Not all those who wander are lost"

#135 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:41 AM

You think there will,be Ents in The Ring Goes South?

;)
Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#136 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:03 AM

Hm... looking at spoiled encounter cards back now, I wonder one thing. There is a Raven Chief, meaning dunlendlings again. Some sort of clan-war or something. So, what I wonder is this: will Boar Clan be still friendly to our clan, and if will - will this final pack provide some dunledling allies (at least objective)?

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#137 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:27 AM

I definately hope so. I think we'll get a chief enemy for each warring clan, but maybe we get some objective allies we get to bribe like in CatC, or convince them like in Druadan Forest. I'm really curious to see how this quest will play.

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#138 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 766 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:30 AM

they could just as easily turn on us and be our enemies once again.  a lot of ways they could go about it, i did rather like

the unconventional alliance with them although.  enemies are always better when they're multidimensional, interesting

• danpoage and chuckles like this

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS