The Antlered Crown

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#21 Ana

Ana

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:33 PM

... the vagueness in the wording of Treebeard's one ability that gives him the ability to pay for ent "cards from your hand". I find this interesting because since it does not mention allies/characters (the obvious use) if we get any support cards like events that are given the ent trait, he can pay for them too. I do realize that there's not many traited event cards but still, there's potential there

Ent-draught comes to mind.

#22 Ana

Ana

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:35 PM

Quest Action: Choose a non-unique enemy
in the staging area. Until the end of the phase,
progress that would be placed on the quest from
questing successfully is instead assigned as
damage on the chosen enemy. (Progress must still
be placed on the active location first.)

It seems very likely and makes for an interesting card. You forfeit making progress but can instead deal with a non-unique enemy in the staging area (together with the active location). This should come especially handy when there is a quest stage you need to linger on a bit longer -- a pretty common occurrence, I would say.

#23 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:51 PM

That event also seems great for annoying cards like Goblin Sniper who can't be optionally engaged and just sits there shooting at you (the original archery mechanic).

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#24 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:13 AM

Hands off from Steven "Elrond" Seagal!!! 

#25 Catastrophic09

Catastrophic09

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:13 AM

If that Spirit event keeps a location as the active location an extra turn, what if you have Path of Need on it!? Dang that would be powerful..

As for Treebeard's art, yeah it seems a bit odd but I do appreciate artists unique takes on different pieces so I try not to hate on it and I think Treebeard still looks cool, just not how I'd envision him, especially with those beastly stats! And then there's ally Elrond..... lol ;)

#26 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:24 AM

Oh, Hobbitd and Ents are going to make a nice combo. So many synergies!

Other than that I think that Treebard is going to be a very complicated card in solo play. The player basically has to make it through the first two turns with basically no support. It requires a well designed deck to handle this problem.

#27 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:25 AM

Hands off from Steven "Elrond" Seagal!!! 

Well at least ally Elrond is just from the universe where they terribly miscast Stephen Seagal as Elrond.

Treebeard has no excuse for looking that wimpy.

#28 ZanzibarLand

ZanzibarLand

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:45 AM

Other than that I think that Treebard is going to be a very complicated card in solo play. The player basically has to make it through the first two turns with basically no support. It requires a well designed deck to handle this problem.

Doesn't this go for any card that costs more resources than you have? There are much more expensive cards that aren't neutral. Gildor for example.

#29 Nerdmeister

Nerdmeister

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:37 AM

You could play a bit around with resource cards to get him in earlier.

ffg_legacy-of-numenor-voi.jpg      or     ffg_wealth-of-gondor-hon.jpg

comes to mind

Edited by Nerdmeister, 04 June 2014 - 01:38 AM.

#30 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:39 AM

Enlighten me on this hobbit-ent synergy you're talking about here.

Edited by MyNeighbourTrololo, 04 June 2014 - 01:39 AM.

#31 Ana

Ana

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:27 AM

Well, this seems a bit stretched. Resource acceleration? Tricks like Timely Aid, Elf-stone, Vilya? Playing Treebeard later than round 2?

On a related note, Gondor Leadership deck seems to be well-suited for Ents. Surely in coop (as a support deck), but perhaps even in solo applying A Good Harvest (together with Treebeard) to pay for Ents. Strength of Arms or Ever Vigilant could be useful utilities to get the Ents ready, with Tome of Atanatar to repeat the trick. And of course, as suggested above, Wealth of Gondor to get Treebeard out on round 1, so he can fight for you and make money from round 2.

Edited by Ana, 04 June 2014 - 03:28 AM.

#32 sparrowpisuke

sparrowpisuke

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:07 AM

Treebeard is amazing... 

Think about combo of Ents (with the Treebeard ability of paying to ready Ents) and 

M1551.png

It's not very thematic attach a cloak to an Ent, but it may be useful to play an Ent and ready it in the same round...

Edited by sparrowpisuke, 04 June 2014 - 04:08 AM.

No x,y,z,n  integers , x,y,z>0 , n>2 | x^n+y^n = z^n

Proof: My margin is very small too...

#33 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:17 AM

I like to use Spare Hood and Cloak with Boromir. 

#34 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 704 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:40 AM

The total artwork of all the entire game is becoming sublime... :). Thanks lotr-lcg!!!

• DurinIII likes this

A wizard is never late..., he arrives precisely when it is the last round

#35 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:41 AM

Steward of Gondor should be restricted.
  • Glaurung likes this
"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#36 DurinIII

DurinIII

• Members
  • 551 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:11 AM

Why?

#37 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:16 AM

If you talking about normal yes probably but in Nmode I'm not sure…..i think if some players come to conclusion SOme cards should be banned or restricted he must to start play Nmode.

• ZanzibarLand likes this

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#38 Mich the One

Mich the One

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:17 AM

As for the Treeberad art: I do like it. When I read Lord of the Rings it always strikes me how different Ents are from other folk. Their language, their ideas and values, the way they convey thoughts, it is all very unique. From a human perspective Ents are somewhat weird. There is this certain disconnection between Ents and other peoples, as if a barrier that sometimes does not allow for perfect communication and blurs the mutual understanding. And, with all that, to me Treebeard should look weird. He should be twisted, out of this world, treeish. Not just a man dressed for a tree.

The only thing I perhaps dislike about the art are the eyes. "But at the moment the hobbits noted little but the eyes. These deep eyes were now surveying them, slow and solemn, but very penetrating. They were brown, shot with a green light. Often afterwards, Pippin tried to describe his first impression of them". This is completely lost in Mike Nash's vision. But regardless, it is a very nice painting.

And generally, it is good to have diversity in art. Each of the three Ents spoiled so far is quite distinctive. With the Treebeard a bit "weird" or "twisted", the Wandering Ent being a rather standard Ent portrayal, to the Booming Ent which looks almost as from Warhammer (nothing wrong with that).

It is just fun to see different creations. I like it much better than, say, the Woses in Druadan Forest. Do not get me wrong, they were portrayed very well. But they were mostly painted by the same artist. While it adds to the cohesiveness of the set, it would perhaps be nicer to see how also other artists imagine Woses. For instance, you could compare how the Hilderbrand brothers depicted them (http://images6.fanpo...24-1300-986.jpg). Totally different image. I love when LotR LCG takes me on a trip through re-imaginations of Tolkien's universe. It is a bit a shame to waste an opportunity to showcase various art. Still, I cannot complain. Hell, I even fancy the weird angle on the Seagal Elrond. Perhaps I am too easily pleased.

• DurinIII, Catastrophic09 and PsychoRocka like this

#39 Ana

Ana

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:25 AM

The most random post award nominee.

• Nerdmeister, Narsil0420, DurinIII and 3 others like this

#40 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:41 AM

The most random post award nominee.

treebeard.png

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS