• Members
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:02 PM

http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=4852

MEC31-box-right.png

MEC31-fan.png

treebeard.png

booming-ent.png

Edited by MyNeighbourTrololo, 03 June 2014 - 04:26 PM.

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#2 Teamjimby

Teamjimby

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:22 PM

So they've announced the whole cycle before the first AP is even released.  This all feels very weird.  In either case, I'm excited to see Treebeard and another Rohan hero.

• jormungandr, DurinIII, Morithain and 2 others like this

#3 Downer

Downer

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:49 PM

Treebeard is soo good. Well, in my opinion at least. I mostly say this because it plays in any sphere set up and in any multi-sphere deck getting 4 of the right color can be a bother. Coming in a turn slow is well worth it for stats that are much better than average, not to mention the turn he does act he gets to act twice due to his ability.

Ugh. That blue card looks good. 

Edited by Downer, 03 June 2014 - 04:50 PM.

#4 -nebur-

-nebur-

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:51 PM

Poor Radagast...he seems so weak besides Treebeard. <_<

Did you noticed that Treebeard can ready Ent-Characters...will we see an Ent-Hero soon or is this just to leave the door open?

• JsBingley and Dwarf king Bronze beard like this

#5 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 749 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:52 PM

Yes! Finally a review! And lol, they DID announce the conclusion before we even get the first pack.

Anyway, amazing cards. That spirit event I'm guessing attaches an enemy to the quest and when making progress on the quest, you put damage on the enemy instead. That's pretty cool, especially for mono spirit decks. The ent allies are also pretty cool, but what's with Treebeard's art? I mean, I kinda like it, but it's still weird. 

The quest looks amazing. Glad we returned to Dunland again, I love that setting, and this looks epic. Also think it's pretty obvious I that the new hero will be Gamling, even though that's just because of the quote at the beggining, they've done that before.

Edited by Gizlivadi, 03 June 2014 - 05:20 PM.

• Catastrophic09 likes this

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#6 Karlson

Karlson

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:57 PM

When Treebeard comes into play each quest, I'm always going to yell: "Break the Dam! Release the River!"

• divinityofnumber, jormungandr, Morithain and 7 others like this

#7 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:43 PM

So they've announced the whole cycle before the first AP is even released.  This all feels very weird.  In either case, I'm excited to see Treebeard and another Rohan hero.

why is this weird?! :D

all 6 APs of Against the Shadow were spoiled before The Steward's Fear released...

The Morgul Vale announcement: 4/2/2013

http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=4047

Release of The Steward's Fear: 5/9/2013

http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=4132

For further reference:

Core Set: 4/20/2011
Hunt for Gollum: 7/21/2011
Length of Time between Releases: ~3 months

Khazad-Dum: 1/6/2012
The Redhorn Gate: 3/1/2012
Length of Time between Releases: ~2 months

Heirs of Numenor: 11/26/2012
The Stewards Fear: 5/9/2013
Length of Time between Releases: ~5 months

Voice of Isenguard: 2/21/2014
The Dunland Trap: 6/???/2014
Length of Time between Releases: ~4 months

Edited by Dain Ironfoot, 03 June 2014 - 05:56 PM.

• Narsil0420, Mndela and ZanzibarLand like this

#8 ZanzibarLand

ZanzibarLand

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:59 PM

When Treebeard comes into play each quest, I'm always going to yell: "Break the Dam! Release the River!"

Naturally.

#9 Narsil0420

Narsil0420

• Members
  • 609 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:16 PM

Very cool! I like the look of that event card. Looks like Rohan doing something awesome, maybe able to deal damage into the staging area... 

Ents look perfect and will be able to splash nicely thanks to Treebeard. That's a perfect way to introduce only a few cards of a theme but still have them be effective.

The thing I like is that it looks like we won't have to wait until the last pack to get all the Silvan cards! It seems that they'll all come out before The Antlered Crown.

#10 Catastrophic09

Catastrophic09

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:23 PM

Hmmm.. although this is an awesome preview it's pale in comparison to Celebrimbor's Secret or I know it's just so far away I'm refraining from getting too excited. lol  ;)

As stated, Treebeard is ridiculously powerful and makes Radagast a joke... which is really sad for Radagast, will we ever get more Creatures to make him better? Anyways.. Treebeard is so crazy! you can easily buy the other ents with him so they can fit into any deck!  I'm interested to see if the initial enters play exhausted is even that bad but do you all realize how great the ents will be for archery damage!? Spread that out and then the Booming Ent gets way stronger! too bad he's not ranged..

I'm also hoping that Rohan hero is going to be awesome and something besides another typical attacker since that role is well covered, lets get another great defending hero! And that Spirit event also looks fantastic!

It's interesting that this is the last quest for this cycle so it could very well be an epic battle against Dunlendings! I'm hoping for cool unique mechanics amidst a field of war!!

• chuckles, PsychoRocka and ZanzibarLand like this

#11 DurinIII

DurinIII

• Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:28 PM

I am very excited to see Treebeard. He is excellent. I am still anxious to know what hero comes in this pack!

#12 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:31 PM

So we are on our way back to Isengard to complete the quest and have to fight our way through Dunland again.... thought this would be the case when antlered crown was not spoiled earlier in the cycle.

Quest looks good (even though I HATE the dunland theme and dunland enemies.... would prefer any other type of enemy and area of Middle Earth seriously) and player cards look nice (that spirit card looks awesome and booming Ent is pretty cool).

Am I really honestly the only one who dislikes that treebeard art though? Easily the worst player art on any card from the ring maker cycle so far..... much worse than the female dunedain from Three Trials.......

One of his eyes is like missing/totally retarded... and his head and arms just look totally wonky.....

This is the mighty Treebeard we are talking about here, that art does not do him justice at all.

Both other Ent cards spoiled so far have much much better art, especially wandering ent.

Edited by PsychoRocka, 03 June 2014 - 07:36 PM.

• ZanzibarLand likes this

#13 JsBingley

JsBingley

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:54 PM

Don't cry, Radagast.

#14 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 766 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:17 PM

Exciting preview as always!!!
I'll start off with the spirit event which as noted above, appears as though it will add damage to enemies based off of progress when questing which is not only just a fantastic fit in regards to the nature of our current Rohan cards, but an amazing card for spirit in general. It's this kind of creativity that really helps the game when we can help cover the weakness of the sphere while still maintaining it's identity. Caleb and co. are remaining true to their word.

The ents are super exciting as well, the art on the booming ent is magnificent and I can see him being quite the powerhouse especially as we gain more ent characters. In that same vein Tree-beard is a great card too. I'll admit I would have preferred him to be a hero but I love that he's neutral and it seems the designers learned for the limited scope of Radaghast. For the two spheres our ent characters represent: tactics and lore, don't really mesh that well but thankfully with Tree beard you can probably get away with only running one of the two spheres provided u get him out early (using Elrond if u go with lore wouldn't hurt either)

They confirm these are the only ents we'll see in the cycle which makes me wonder when we'll see the previously spoiled art for leaf lock from artist Mike Nash. I figured it would be in his cycle but if it's like Gwaihir it may not be till years down the road. Speaking of ent art from Mike Nash, I have nothing against Treebeard's illustration, infact I think he looks quite regal in his own way. The really great booming ent kind of overshadows him however

Will be cool to see the Rohan hero and how he influences the current archetype but we know too little to bother speculating on him (or her) further

(sorry for the typos, doing this from my phone and there will undoubtedly be some)

Edited by Pharmboys2013, 03 June 2014 - 08:18 PM.

• DurinIII, Catastrophic09, Estel Edain and 1 other like this

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#15 Estel Edain

Estel Edain

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:41 PM

Hurrah for Ents! Based on the spacing, this is my best guess for what the spirit event will say. It doesn't line up perfectly, but I'm not sure exactly what font they're using.

Quest Action: Choose a non-unique enemy
in the staging area. Until the end of the phase,
progress that would be placed on the quest from
questing successfully is instead assigned as
damage on the chosen enemy. (Progress must still
be placed on the active location first.)

Another possibility would be "enemy engaged with you." In a multiplayer game, though, I think it makes less sense for the other players to be "questing" against an enemy that's fighting you.

If questing and combat are the two most important parts of the game, then this is like Spirit's version of Trained for War, but without the monosphere requirement. I appreciate that the designers are giving us different ways to handle enemies, such as this card and Noiseless Movement.

• Catastrophic09 and ZanzibarLand like this

#16 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 766 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:53 PM

Two other small things I realized: isn't it just so FFG that right at the height of our frustration with waiting just blow us too pieces with news unexpected and otherwise? Ha, they know how to play us like a harp, and I actually mean that in the best way possible. The second more relevant point I wanted to make was the vagueness in the wording of Treebeard's one ability that gives him the ability to pay for ent "cards from your hand". I find this interesting because since it does not mention allies/characters (the obvious use) if we get any support cards like events that are given the ent trait, he can pay for them too. I do realize that there's not many traited event cards but still, there's potential there
  • Morithain and Catastrophic09 like this

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#17 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:06 PM

Am I really honestly the only one who dislikes that treebeard art though? Easily the worst player art on any card from the ring maker cycle so far..... much worse than the female dunedain from Three Trials.......

One of his eyes is like missing/totally retarded... and his head and arms just look totally wonky.....

This is the mighty Treebeard we are talking about here, that art does not do him justice at all.

Both other Ent cards spoiled so far have much much better art, especially wandering ent.

Just to be clear:  you think Treebeard's art is worse than the Elrond Ally?

• chuckles likes this
Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#18 ZanzibarLand

ZanzibarLand

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:19 PM

(Ill just @ whoever I'm directing my comments at because the quoting system is cumbersome on my iPad)

@Pharm, regarding the ent traited events, I think this is a definite possibility. We have eagle traited events and that trait is very small and self sufficient. So I'm going to say yes.

@Estel, I think you're right, if not exactly right. What a neat card.

@Catastrophic, I thought of archery and other 'damage when revealed' effects straight away too. The 3 hp is an awesome amount. When we saw wandering ent I thought it was maybe too much, but now I see why.

Pippin is lore and Merry is tactics the same as the ents revealed. Is this a coincidence or am I blinded by Hobbit love? I thought it was just coincidence but now that we have been told we won't get any more ents in this cycle, idk...

I think the next lot of ents could be in one of the two towers boxes (that's the big battle at isengard, right?).

PS, is there any reason Treebeard couldn't ready himself? I can't see one. 3 4 damages attacks every 2 turns is pretty epic. I think I'm going to use this cars a lot, even by himself.

Edited by ZanzibarLand, 03 June 2014 - 10:22 PM.

#19 Nickpes

Nickpes

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:51 PM

Nice preview. I too like the Ent cards, especially Treebeard who looks very powerfull. Unfair to Radagast here. Am i the only one who likes the Dunland theme?

Gamling should be the hero, i mean there are not many candidates left. I think he will be Spirit, since he carried the banner of Westfold.

Lord of all Noldor

A star in the night And a bearer of hope

He rides into his glorious battle alone Farewell to the valliant warlord

#20 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:14 PM

Just to be clear:  you think Treebeard's art is worse than the Elrond Ally?

Ooooooohhh forgot all about the Elrond ally........ hmmmm isn't that from The Road Darkens though?

But yeah treebeard's art is definitely not worse, I wouldn't really say better either though to be honest.... both are pretty terrible

• chuckles likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS