Photo

Bretonnia Conversion (from Knights of the Grail)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:43 AM

This is the playable version of the conversion document:

https://dl.dropboxus...n Document.docx

Feedback is welcome.

jh

Edited by Emirikol, 03 June 2014 - 09:44 AM.

• d6 Evil Men and Eradico Pravus like this

#2 edwardp

edwardp

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:08 PM

I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but it is probably your finest work...

#3 Thindaraiel

Thindaraiel

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:23 PM

Suggestion :

1) separate the vow (chivalry, quest, grail) from the virtues.

2) Knight Errant is a variant of Noble career, with a specific career hability : the Vow of Chivalry.

In the same way, the Vow of Questing and of Grail are the abilities of the corresponding careers

3) Each career has a Virtue talent slot. Questing career has a "Tactic or Virtue" slot, Grail has 2 "Tactic or Virtue" slots, allowing more flexibility.

What do you think of this ?

#4 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:13 PM

Good tips.  I'm keeping it to a bare minimum of work with direct conversion from the Knights of the Grail:Bretonnia guidebook so I converted the Knights pretty much straight up... and thanks Ed.  Your character shall live another day and not be consumed by the Chasm Spawn :)

#5 DurakBlackaxe

DurakBlackaxe

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:04 AM

If a Bretonnian sees a wood elf seer in passing, do they think they are seeing the Lady of the Lake.

Dark elves have a field day.

From what I see it looks good.

Why cant they buy the Virtue of Chivalry Talent card at character creation?

I thought in the Bretonnia book in 2nd Ed it was a required ability for the Knight Errant.

Just need some clarification, as reading it it seems Knights Errant isn't a career.

Is a Knight Errant a career? Or is it something that a career with noble trait can obtain EG Fop / Dilettante /  Courtier /(I doubt pistolier is viable in Bretonnia.).  Bit restrictive.

Any reason you didn't go for making the basic career?

Edited by DurakBlackaxe, 04 June 2014 - 03:38 AM.

#6 Eradico Pravus

Eradico Pravus

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:18 AM

Knight Errant is defined as a trait since nearly every noble in Brettonia becomes a knight. I agree it's restrictive but seems accurate to the source material I've read.

Emirikol, chapter 1/step 3: Replace the Mousillon regional bonus RESIST FEAR with RESIST DISEASE? Just a thought...

#7 Eradico Pravus

Eradico Pravus

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:35 PM

From p. 44 of Barony of the Damned:

"...much of the peasantry [of Mousillon] has become resistant to disease."

#8 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:32 PM

EP/DB:  Correct.  ALL male nobles in Bretonnia, according to the 2e sourcebook, are given the TITLE "Knight Errant", but they aren't automatically given any skills in fighting or armor usage.  The running joke is that since all male nobles get that title, they are slapped with armor and no skills and run off to battle.  

I made it so that IF a player wants to take the Vow of Chivalry, that is an option during their first NOBLE career.  

The female equivalent, "Paladin", is in the same boat, but since they can't even take the vow, there just isn't any point in creating a career for something that's better handled with simple background structure (IMO)

It would be an option to make a "pistolier" style career for the Knight Errant, but I chose to leave it as a simple talent choice after creation if necessary.

After looking at all the work that went into the higher-rank knights, I kind of just shook my head because most campaigns never get that far anyways.

I'll 

#9 DurakBlackaxe

DurakBlackaxe

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:00 PM

Didn't know that about 2nd Edition. I mean all nobles being a Knight Errant.

I just thought it was its own separate career.

Must missed that info somewhere.

#10 Vorzakk

Vorzakk

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:40 PM

Didn't know that about 2nd Edition. I mean all nobles being a Knight Errant.

I just thought it was its own separate career.

Must missed that info somewhere.

In terms of crunch, yes:  Knight Errant was a separate career from Noble.  But in terms of fluff, all Bretonnian male nobles were knight errants and vice-versa.  Chosing Knight Errant as you crunch career would imply that your character took the martial aspects of being a knight seriously, while taking Noble would imply not so much.  Or at least that's how I would interpret it.

• Emirikol likes this

#11 Thindaraiel

Thindaraiel

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:25 AM

I agree with DurakBlackaxe : I do not see the point of confusing background and rules

if a bret noble enter the martial way, give him a real Knight Errant career with the proper Vow.

if a bret noble has the title "knight errant" but is not a martial character, just keep him into Noble career. He may have any "title", it is not a "career".

A character can be a "duke", "count" or "king", this is just a title, not a career (career is Noble). A young king will be a rank 1 Noble, an old duke with many political experience can be a rank 4 Noble or can have several other social carrers behind him. The "social title" and the "experience ranking" are not the same.

#12 DurakBlackaxe

DurakBlackaxe

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:34 AM

I was just clearing up some confusion on my part on Emirikol's conversion of Bretonnia 2nd Ed to 3rd Ed. I have limited 2nd Ed books. So I didnt even know of a female Paladin. I did read of non nobles being Errant Knights by pretending to be nobles though.

I believe a GM like Emirikol can make their own rules for their own game, and its nice for him to share his ideas with us.

There is always a point to these conversions, they give people ideas to fill out their own conversions. Also you get feedback to point out some ideas to help the creator.

There are other people who have also done Bretonnia conversions as well.

I don't have to agree with his method of Knight Errant, but I can come away with ideas for what I would do.

Between LordtheMilk and Emirikol's ideas you can find a ruleset you like. Sorry if anyone else did a conversion, these only two I know.

Bretonnia Knight Errant is actually quite difficult to convert I found, due to blessing and virtues. Whether an action or a talent or a career ability. I had a try on just the career part over a year ago and just couldn't get past the need for a horse and the need for the Virtue of Chivalry. For such a simple career it was annoying complicated when it didn't need to be.

Since FFG has gone dead silent on further works, its up us as players and GM's to make our own content from 2nd Edition books. Maybe 1st Edition if that old.

Edited by DurakBlackaxe, 05 June 2014 - 05:35 AM.

• Eradico Pravus likes this

#13 DurakBlackaxe

DurakBlackaxe

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:14 AM

At least all the other careers work out as you would expect

(I wish my english language skills didn't make my replies sound so bad, when they meant to be encouraging))

Edited by DurakBlackaxe, 05 June 2014 - 07:18 AM.

#14 Eradico Pravus

Eradico Pravus

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:15 AM

No worries, Durak! Great job and thanks for your participation (and encouragement)!  :)

#15 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:29 PM

In the links below, there is a link to a Knight Errant Career Sheet with a vow of chivalry career card.

http://community.fan...s-of-the-grail/

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS