Kali-Class Cruiser

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Oborous

Oborous

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:06 PM

Looking at reverse engineering the Kali Class Cruiser (from Fallen Suns pg 68) for a Black Crusade game with a Pirate of the Ragged Helix

I'm hoping someone could check my math; I'm assuming this calculates out as having 79 space.  The average cruiser cost is 59 sp, though this one... is a bit special.

This is our first toe-dip into RT into BC, so suggestions are welcome; remembering that this is for a black crusade game, so commerce is much, much lower of a priority and instead causing mayhem is much more in line with the goals of the campaign.

#2 Lady Kataline Jianwei

Lady Kataline Jianwei

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:44 PM

All told I came up with the ship using 81/85 power, 83/? space and a total of 22 SP. As spaces what we're looking at, specifically I had 27 space for the weapon systems, 40 for the essentials, and 16 for the supplemental. In either case, I'd wager the Kali class had 85 space which is huge for a Cruiser and more into Grandcruiser territory.

"Defeat? Genocide? Why quibble with semantics?"

#3 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 819 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:08 PM

A lot of the pre-assembled ships in BFK and other supplements don't really balance when translated into ship building stats. I would just give them the ship as it is (since the idea of heretics making acquisition rolls is kinda weird), and then let them "upgrade" components on them as rewards for certain missions if they roleplay it well.

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#4 Marwynn

Marwynn

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:34 PM

Considering the Kali was supposed to be a specialized Navy vessel, perhaps it uses Good or Best Quality Components? It'd explain why it seemingly has so much space.

The Gathering Strom  - A Chronicle of Intrigue, Space Battles, Planetary Invasions, and Dinner Parties

The Blessed Enterprise - Flagship of the Strom Dynasty / Reception Hall

Into the Strom - Venture into the secrets of the Strom Dynasty! 

#5 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:52 AM

Considering the Kali was supposed to be a specialized Navy vessel, perhaps it uses Good or Best Quality Components? It'd explain why it seemingly has so much space.

My guess was always "Lazy Author".

#6 Lady Kataline Jianwei

Lady Kataline Jianwei

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:21 AM

Well smashing everything that can be smashed down for space via GQ parts nets us a savings of 15 Space. Which brings space to 68 vs the previous 83. Pricey though at 37 SP. Also, looking at existing Cruisers, 83 isn't that far over for their size. The Tyrant for example has 77 space. The Dictator 65 (77 once you account for the landing bays). The Ambition has 75 Space. The Star Galleon has 56 (64 counting cargo bays). And the Lunar 75 Space. Those figures are from ItS, Core, and BFK and gives us an average cruiser space of 73.6 Space for a Cruiser class vessel.

Battle Cruisers on the other hand range from 73-78 space and average out to 74.75 space. Though since BCs are uparmored and armed cruisers that seems to be okay. Lastly, Grandcruisers are the only ship hulls to have over 80 space.

So I think Marwynn's suggestion of a few GQ parts to keep space requirements down is a good one. If you can drop the space requirements down to 78 it would be in line with the largest BC, 77 to be in line with the largest Cruiser.

"Defeat? Genocide? Why quibble with semantics?"

#7 BaronIveagh

BaronIveagh

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:36 PM

The problem is that for some reason (more books most likely) they stopped adding a 'space' sat to hulls. 

#8 Oborous

Oborous

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:04 PM

That's what we're now starting to guess, as a base hull with that kind of armor, it really puts us (the players) into a pretty unique league.  What else has 10 base speed, 25 armor, and five weapon slots?  

We were originally really liking the fast attack cruiser concept, with a great deal of space to have the crunchy role playing components such as Laboratorium, Pharmacia, and Manufactorum, combined with the fluffy role playing components such as Vaulted Ceilings, Ostentatious Displays of Wealth, and Resolution Arena.

But it gives us the ability to literally outrun anything we can't outfight, and we can out fight almost anything.  I've found that sometimes its better to purposefully take some flaws to allow the GM to move the plot along rather than having the crunchiest vehicle.

We're figuring the Kali is in a league of its own and won't be a good ship for the PC's due to it's unique mixture of speed, armor, and space.

• Tenebrae likes this

#9 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 819 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:40 PM

I would just have your crew periodically conduct horrible chaos tainted rituals since they're on a ship of madness.

Also you're vulnerable to sabotage, virus torpedoes, and an Imperial vessel complete with Astropath and Navigator shipboard actions. Your guns don't protect you from everything being set on fire!

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#10 Vandegraffe

Vandegraffe

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:12 AM

I've always thought the Kali was a misprint, at least on speed.  Ten speed is way, way too much for an Imperial hull.  Imperials are slow and pedantic, remember?  The only Imperial ship that fast is the Cobra destroyer, which is the lightweight of the fleet.  I've a big issue with a battlecruiser that's faster than a Sword.  This thought has been brought to you by the words "game balance".

Of course, since you're playing BC, there's always the Slaughter class.  ;-)

Cheers,

- V.

• Tenebrae likes this

#11 BaronIveagh

BaronIveagh

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:28 PM

I've always thought the Kali was a misprint, at least on speed.  Ten speed is way, way too much for an Imperial hull.  Imperials are slow and pedantic, remember?  The only Imperial ship that fast is the Cobra destroyer, which is the lightweight of the fleet.  I've a big issue with a battlecruiser that's faster than a Sword.  This thought has been brought to you by the words "game balance".

Of course, since you're playing BC, there's always the Slaughter class.  ;-)

Cheers,

- V.

The 'slow' Imperial Navy started around M36.  Anything before was fast.  Imperial ships built in Segmentum Tempestus also tend toward fast.  The Cardinal, Siluria, Havoc, and Mercury classes are quite speedy compared to ships built at Voss and Cypra Mundi.

The Schismatic is also a hell on wheels light cruiser.

Edited by BaronIveagh, 04 June 2014 - 06:44 PM.

#12 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:27 AM

The Cardinal, Siluria, Havoc, and Mercury classes are quite speedy compared to ships built at Voss and Cypra Mundi.

The Schismatic is also a hell on wheels light cruiser.

Interesting list of ships there. All added in the BFG:R project as I recall, none of them in the original BFG?

#13 BaronIveagh

BaronIveagh

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:56 PM

Interesting list of ships there. All added in the BFG:R project as I recall, none of them in the original BFG?

Siluria, Mercury (originally Long Serpent), and Cardinal all came from the original list for Battlefleet Bakka by Andy Chambers published in Battlefleet Gothic Magazine. (and were slated to appear in BFG:Armada but were cut due to page count)  They are canon, though Long Serpent was renamed Mercury for BFG FAQ 2010.

Cardinal also appears in Imperial Armour 10's BFG fleet lists, as well as getting a mention in HH3.

Schismatic comes from Book of Nemesis.

BFG:R came up with nothing and I don't think too highly of it.

#14 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:26 AM

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about Bakka.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS