Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:49 PM

Buts it's Fugly!

• DigitalChicanery likes this

#22 SpikeSpiegel

SpikeSpiegel

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:56 PM

I guess since logic is non-existent in SW, then trying to apply logic is pointless and automatically makes me wrong? If that is the case, then I'll simply nullify my first comment and admit my stupidity (to please the technicality diehards) and say that the cannon placement just LOOKS stupid.

And the F-18 argument would still be as effective if the E-Wing cannon was placed below the cockpit.

Edited by SpikeSpiegel, 08 June 2014 - 07:57 PM.

SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

#23 Millennium Falsehood

Millennium Falsehood

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:59 PM

No it wouldn't, because there is about a meter and a half of hull below the pilot's LOS, thus the topside cockpit placement makes better sense if the sensors were jammed or knocked out by laser fire.

Rebel Alliance: 7 X-wings, 5 Y-wings, 4 A-wings, 1 YT-1300, 2 HWK-290s, 3 B-wings, 1 GR-75, 1 CR-90, 5 Z-95 Headhunters, 1 E-wing

Galactic Empire: 7 TIE Fighters, 1 TIE Advanced, 2 Firespray-31s, 1 Lambda class Shuttle, 3 TIE Bombers, 2 TIE Interceptors, 3 181st TIE interceptors, 3 Royal Guard Interceptors

"Main characters defeat a Star Trek villain? Give 'em a Star Wars celebration!"

#24 Sekac

Sekac

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:40 PM

No it wouldn't, because there is about a meter and a half of hull below the pilot's LOS, thus the topside cockpit placement makes better sense if the sensors were jammed or knocked out by laser fire.

But that's assuming for some reason that the engineers were forced the whole ship to look like it does and the cannon placement was an afterthought. They could've easily designed it with the cannon in the nose. It might've looked a bit different. But then again, I wish it did.

#25 Norsehound

Norsehound

• Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:52 AM

The spars connecting the body to the wings always made me think that the wings could fold upward for a storage mode on alliance carriers. Hmm.

I have no problems with the E-Wing, even with the cannon placed there. It's miles above some of the other questionable GCW era designs, like the TIE Oppressor and the TIE Interdictor. At least we don't have them in the game yet.

#26 Rhinoviru3

Rhinoviru3

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:02 AM

Page 2, still no pictures?

Well, OP, my Imdaar is this Saturday (14th). If I win a Rebel ship, I'll post here in a few days!

Rebels: 4X, 2Y, 2B, 2A, 2Hwk, 2YT, 1GR-75, 2E, 4Z, 1x YT-2400,
(See my Rebels paint thread here!)

Empire: 5x TIE/ln, 3x TIE/sa, 4x TIE/Int, 1x TIE/A, 1x F-31, 1x Lambda, 3x TIE/Pha, 1x TIE/D
(And my Imperial paint thread here!)

#27 Captain Lackwit

Captain Lackwit

HWK Pilot

• Members
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:22 PM

Last time I saw people complain about a gun this much, it was because it was, "military style" and "Scary".

Come on guys. The top mounted cannon is seriously not that bad. You know what's worse? Guns that aren't centered. Star Wars has a LOT of those. The X-Wing is one of the biggest perpetrators of this. Wide-spread field of fire, and why? That doesn't make it easier to hit more things, you still need to hit what's directly in front of you. But nobody mentions this because it's the X-Wing and it looks cool.

"But it pivots!"

Sure, it does. I know that. Why even bother with a pivot system though? Look at the Y-Wing. Perfect gun placement for the top and bottom. Why? Because it's centered.

I mean, the Firespray, the B-Wing, the TIE Interceptor, the X-Wing, A-wing, TIE Defender, TIE Phantom, Lambda Shuttle... All examples of ships that spread their guns out way too far in an almost stupid fashion.  The only reason I didn't list the Falcon is because it's got the guns at its own center of mass. Hell, why does it have an off center cockpit?

Why does the Slave-I pivot when it lands? Why not just simply reconfigure it so that it doesn't need to pivot period?

Why does the Y-Wing have those funky, pointless engine struts?

Do the TIE's wings NEED to be that big or in that crazy H shape that surely screws with visibility?

Why doesn't the HWK-290 have a purely frontal viewport? Sure it has screens but if those fail you're screwed.

There's PLENTY of design choices in star wars ships that make zero sense at all and are just flat out weird... And you guys choose the E-Wing's top mounted gun as this forum's personal little punching bag? Really, guys?

Really?

• Norsehound, Revanchist, miridor and 5 others like this

"There's got to be a better way to make a living..." -Kyle Katarn
Resident HWK-290 Enthusiast, Trainee pilot. _\.o./_
Kills: |o| |o| |o| {o} {o} (o) >o<

#28 Conandoodle

Conandoodle

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:16 AM

Totally agree with the above! But the rule of cool applies here.

Same could be said for most sci fi space ships. Huge engines on the back, zero thrusters elsewhere. In space, these babies boost in a straight line only. Put your turn and bank templates away now.

I know I am crossing the line into the mundane, but in the Stackpole X-wing series he constantly refers to the lasers being centred at a particular distance. That is, the lasers converge on a central location. So at the desired range, the chance of hitting the target is increased as you have a little spread of your lasers ( in front and behind the target) as opposed to a single beam.

I'm a noob ..please be gentle.

#29 Sekac

Sekac

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:54 AM

Last time I saw people complain about a gun this much, it was because it was, "military style" and "Scary".

Come on guys. The top mounted cannon is seriously not that bad. You know what's worse? Guns that aren't centered. Star Wars has a LOT of those. The X-Wing is one of the biggest perpetrators of this. Wide-spread field of fire, and why? That doesn't make it easier to hit more things, you still need to hit what's directly in front of you. But nobody mentions this because it's the X-Wing and it looks cool.

"But it pivots!"

Sure, it does. I know that. Why even bother with a pivot system though? Look at the Y-Wing. Perfect gun placement for the top and bottom. Why? Because it's centered.

I mean, the Firespray, the B-Wing, the TIE Interceptor, the X-Wing, A-wing, TIE Defender, TIE Phantom, Lambda Shuttle... All examples of ships that spread their guns out way too far in an almost stupid fashion.  The only reason I didn't list the Falcon is because it's got the guns at its own center of mass. Hell, why does it have an off center cockpit?

Why does the Slave-I pivot when it lands? Why not just simply reconfigure it so that it doesn't need to pivot period?

Why does the Y-Wing have those funky, pointless engine struts?

Do the TIE's wings NEED to be that big or in that crazy H shape that surely screws with visibility?

Why doesn't the HWK-290 have a purely frontal viewport? Sure it has screens but if those fail you're screwed.

There's PLENTY of design choices in star wars ships that make zero sense at all and are just flat out weird... And you guys choose the E-Wing's top mounted gun as this forum's personal little punching bag? Really, guys?

Really?

Again. If the OP wants to mod his E-Wing or encourage others to do the same, why are you trying to talk him out of it? If someone doesn't like the look of a ship, any ship, and want to try a conversion, does your opinion of whether or not it looks good as is matter at all? Nope.

You're actively campaigning against creativity.

• SpikeSpiegel likes this

#30 Swedge

Swedge

• Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:18 AM

some of you all may want to check out the location of the F-18s canon...lol   granted its not right on top of the cockpit!! but it is right in front of it!!  and it does produce flames and smoke when fired!!  but having a canon that's on your "center-line"  makes aiming easier. however as was mentioned this is Starwars logic.....  

anybody in the Sumter S.C. area???

#31 Lagomorphia

Lagomorphia

• Validating
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:27 AM

I still don't get why people think the E-wing's cannon is an issue. It's perfectly fine, IMO. In fact, it's probably the single best example of cannon placement seen in the EU, because it's centrally located.

The F/A-18's main gun is set right in front of the cockpit as well along the centerline, and is the only fighter to have a cannon located here. The reason for this is that the engineers who designed it realized that the most common complaint regarding machine guns and cannons in attack and air superiority fighters was that the gun was off-center and hard to aim because of that.

The E-wing's main cannon has similar placement, along with wide-spaced cannons on the wings which make it an ideal long-range strafing fighter.

The argument against muzzle flash is also rather dumb, considering the muzzle flash on starfighters is nonexistent in the original trilogy. None of the fighters exhibited it in any movie (even the prequels, where it would have been more likely to see). In addition, the Y-wing and TIE Fighter have guns which are located much closer to the pilot; if any fighter is going to be blinding its pilots with muzzle flash, it would be those two. Finally, the aforementioned F/A-18 has muzzle flash as well, but it never blinds its pilots.

The only possible issue with the main gun might be that it blocks a ~5* segment of the sky, but that's really a non-issue considering starfighter guns are aimed using sensors and not line-of-sight (as seen in A New Hope). Spotting is done from forward and rear-facing scopes that are a part of the pilot's HUD, so it's not like the cannon prevents finding an enemy ship (how else do you explain how TIE Fighter pilot's can have any amount of situational awareness with their windscreens only accounting for about a 80* arc in front of them?).

TL;DR The E-wing's cannon is actually one of the best designs on any starfighter because of its central placement.

Except for when the pilot wants to get out of the ship.

#32 Red Winter

Red Winter

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:25 AM

I never knew this topic would take on a life of its own. Unfortunately, I have not had the time to sit down with my beloved, little E-wing and make the appropriate modifications. I encourage anyone who has painted or modded to share their images as well! I've enjoyed the spirited discussion over the design philosophy. There were some interesting points, but aside from the engineering flaw, it really is the cool factor that bothers me! Who wants to fly a starfighter with a narwhal horn coming out of the cockpit?!

“Audentes fortuna iuvat” –Virgil

#33 Skargoth

Skargoth

• Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:56 AM

Still no painted ones! I feel I'm being dared to put my amateur painting to the test making a green E-wing! Unless, ya know, someone better has already done it!

You don't need to strip your miniatures, painting over is fine. No, there should not be a fourth faction, three is the magic number for countering flavor lists and to break up faction distribution. Someone else has likely thought up and posted your amazing new build, so you don't need to stroke your ego when reposting it. The prequels sucked and so would a game based on it. YES, there should be a Custom Forum for terrain and repaints! Moving on...

#34 dukewolf

dukewolf

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:09 AM

All this and you moan that the ships cannon is illogically placed. I present the motion that an exhaust port not properly protected on a superweapon is illogical.

http://www.eviloverl...s/overlord.html

Super weapons that can be so easily destroyed is a tremendous over site in design

#35 dukewolf

dukewolf

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:13 AM

I still don't get why people think the E-wing's cannon is an issue. It's perfectly fine, IMO. In fact, it's probably the single best example of cannon placement seen in the EU, because it's centrally located.

The F/A-18's main gun is set right in front of the cockpit as well along the centerline, and is the only fighter to have a cannon located here. The reason for this is that the engineers who designed it realized that the most common complaint regarding machine guns and cannons in attack and air superiority fighters was that the gun was off-center and hard to aim because of that.

The E-wing's main cannon has similar placement, along with wide-spaced cannons on the wings which make it an ideal long-range strafing fighter.

The argument against muzzle flash is also rather dumb, considering the muzzle flash on starfighters is nonexistent in the original trilogy. None of the fighters exhibited it in any movie (even the prequels, where it would have been more likely to see). In addition, the Y-wing and TIE Fighter have guns which are located much closer to the pilot; if any fighter is going to be blinding its pilots with muzzle flash, it would be those two. Finally, the aforementioned F/A-18 has muzzle flash as well, but it never blinds its pilots.

The only possible issue with the main gun might be that it blocks a ~5* segment of the sky, but that's really a non-issue considering starfighter guns are aimed using sensors and not line-of-sight (as seen in A New Hope). Spotting is done from forward and rear-facing scopes that are a part of the pilot's HUD, so it's not like the cannon prevents finding an enemy ship (how else do you explain how TIE Fighter pilot's can have any amount of situational awareness with their windscreens only accounting for about a 80* arc in front of them?).

TL;DR The E-wing's cannon is actually one of the best designs on any starfighter because of its central placement.

your assuming that the canopy opens up like and x-wing.  I could very easily be configured to slide forward.  Think BSG Vipers. Giving the pilot a nice little bar to help him swing into and out of the cockpit.

Edited by dukewolf, 10 June 2014 - 09:14 AM.

#36 Rhinoviru3

Rhinoviru3

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:16 AM

http://img4.wikia.no...ing_cockpit.jpg

Rebels: 4X, 2Y, 2B, 2A, 2Hwk, 2YT, 1GR-75, 2E, 4Z, 1x YT-2400,
(See my Rebels paint thread here!)

Empire: 5x TIE/ln, 3x TIE/sa, 4x TIE/Int, 1x TIE/A, 1x F-31, 1x Lambda, 3x TIE/Pha, 1x TIE/D
(And my Imperial paint thread here!)

#37 dukewolf

dukewolf

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:48 AM

interesting that they choose to enclose the r2 unit, and show the cannon being removed to open the cockpit and access the R2.  Bad design it that is how it would be designed.  Fortunately its all pretend and it just does not matter. 

Hooray for plastic ships that use imagination and rules to blow up more plastic ships.  Give me more.  Realism be damned.

• Joe Boss Red Seven likes this

#38 BojambaMcMamba

BojambaMcMamba

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:05 AM

I thought the E-wing looked a little ugly myself. Thankfully, with only a little cutting, gluing, and painting, I think I've turned it into a more elegant looking spacecraft.
http://www.neildenha...3a6-500x500.jpg
  • Gullwind, Red G and Sanchez like this

#39 evanger

evanger

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:13 PM

I will most likely be modifying my E-Wings to having their dorsal cannons chin or belly mounted. I'll probably do an exposed astromech or seal it off all together. And I agree, having it right above the cockpit makes no sense, from opening the cockpit, to a munitions failure or even just the flash from firing.

The weapons are not guns, there is no muzzle flash.
The top gun also slides forward so the pilot can get in/out.
A munitions failure would not cause an explosion as there is no ammo.

Main point however is that this is star wars, any logic based design issues are a mute point as BS technobabble can be made up to get around said issue

The real point, in my opinion, is that not all Star Wars tech was created equal.

Stuff that made it into the movies, for instance, was vetted in a much more comprehensive way than something made for a comic book as a side project licensee. The truly great stuff also came from pretty awesome designers in the first place.

That is the real problem with much of the EU, in my opinion...the technical design standards are not nearly as high as for other mediums. 

Same holds true for quality of art, etc. Not every illustration for every Star Wars item is a Ralph McQuarrie original, sadly.

#40 evanger

evanger

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:13 PM

(double post)

Edited by evanger, 10 June 2014 - 02:16 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS