E-wing/Z-95 Mods and Paints

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Red Winter

Red Winter

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:28 PM

Please post your repaints and mods to the E-wings and Z's won out in AIA.

Personally, I'm going to do some slicing on my E. That dorsal laser cannon is an engineering disaster and makes ZERO cents. Now, a ventrally located cannon is sensible and pleasing to the eye! As an experimental fighter that was plagued by technical issues...I can totally see why. Reworking is needed.

“Audentes fortuna iuvat” –Virgil

#2 Rambler

Rambler

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:13 PM

...Personally, I'm going to do some slicing on my E. That dorsal laser cannon is an engineering disaster and makes ZERO cents.

*cough**cough* Y-Wing Ion Cannons... There is a reason and a methods to that madness.
  • stegocent likes this

#3 dukewolf

dukewolf

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:29 PM

yes. but the Y-Wing ion cannon is a turret.  and would be easier to track your shots with it closer to your head.

#4 SpikeSpiegel

SpikeSpiegel

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:04 PM

I will most likely be modifying my E-Wings to having their dorsal cannons chin or belly mounted. I'll probably do an exposed astromech or seal it off all together. And I agree, having it right above the cockpit makes no sense, from opening the cockpit, to a munitions failure or even just the flash from firing.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

#5 Rob Jedi

Rob Jedi

• Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:43 PM

Yeah having that thing firing right in your face plus blocking your view makes you really question the original design.
Rob_Jedi's Miniature Painting BlogMy Repaints Armored Hull YT-1300 Imperial Transport <p>Rebels: Ax3 Bx3 Ex1 CRx1 GRx1 Hx2 Xx6 Yx3 YTx3 Zx3 Empire: Fx3 Lx1 TAx2 TBx2 TDx2 TIx7 TPx1 Tx7

#6 dojimaster

dojimaster

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:46 PM

I like the E-Wings I bought months ago on Shapeways.  Option for either the cannon or the Ion Cannon.

I opted for the cannon.

• Gosric likes this

#7 stegocent

stegocent

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:16 PM

I will most likely be modifying my E-Wings to having their dorsal cannons chin or belly mounted. I'll probably do an exposed astromech or seal it off all together. And I agree, having it right above the cockpit makes no sense, from opening the cockpit, to a munitions failure or even just the flash from firing.

The weapons are not guns, there is no muzzle flash.
The top gun also slides forward so the pilot can get in/out.
A munitions failure would not cause an explosion as there is no ammo.

Main point however is that this is star wars, any logic based design issues are a mute point as BS technobabble can be made up to get around said issue
  • Millennium Falsehood and Caliber42 like this

Empire: 7 Tie/In, 2 Tie Advanced, 2 Tie/Int, 2 Imperial Aces  4 Tie/B, 2 Firespray-31, 3 Lambda

Rebel: 6 X-Wing, 2 Y-Wing, 2 A-Wing, 4 B-wing, 1 Yt-1300, 2 HWK-290, 2 GR-75, 1 CR-90

#8 Ebak

Ebak

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:32 PM

That's true...your concerned about muzzle flash in a world where:

• Sound exists in space.
  • Starships can move through space like fighters in an atmosphere.
  • Fires can exist in space.
  • A weapon exists that can destroy an entire planet.
  • Shields that can deflect laser weapons.
  • Laser weapons.
  • Hyperspace.
  • THE FREAKING FORCE!

All this and you moan that the ships cannon is illogically placed. I present the motion that an exhaust port not properly protected on a superweapon is illogical.

Edited by Ebak, 03 June 2014 - 06:40 PM.

• Red Castle, Norsehound, Digitalkiller and 4 others like this

#9 Revanchist

Revanchist

• Members
  • 819 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:37 PM

All this and you moan that the ships canon is illogically placed.

I agree, scrapping the EU was a terrible idea.

Oh, you mean cannon.
  • The Amazing Flight Lizard, LeoHowler, Rhinoviru3 and 5 others like this
Imperial: 5 TIE/ln, 1 TIE/adv, 5 TIE/in, 1 TIE/sa, 1 Firespray-31, 1 Lambda
Rebel: 3 X-wing, 1 Y-wing, 1 A-wing, 1 B-wing, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300

"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."

#10 Ebak

Ebak

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:40 PM

Thank you Mr. Spelling Bee, corrected. Now maybe we can address my argument rather than implying that my argument fails and is discredited because of my spelling?

#11 Revanchist

Revanchist

• Members
  • 819 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:43 PM

Thank you Mr. Spelling Bee, corrected. Now maybe we can address my argument rather than implying that my argument fails and is discredited because of my spelling?

No implications or saying you're wrong was intended. Only making a joke (I do it every time I notice this particular spelling error). Don't get all riled up, no ill will intended. I actually completely agree with what you said.

Edited by Revanchist, 03 June 2014 - 06:44 PM.

• The Amazing Flight Lizard and Syleh Forge like this

"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."

#12 Ebak

Ebak

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:45 PM

Fair enough, I retract my statement. Just been on the end of people who are malicious in that way many times.

#13 Revanchist

Revanchist

• Members
  • 819 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:47 PM

Fair enough, I retract my statement. Just been on the end of people who are malicious in that way many times.

I understand. :)

However, replacing the Cannon on the top with an under slung Gatling gun would be pretty slick as well.

Edited by Revanchist, 03 June 2014 - 06:48 PM.

• dojimaster likes this

#14 Captain Lackwit

Captain Lackwit

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:06 PM

Please post your repaints and mods to the E-wings and Z's won out in AIA.

Personally, I'm going to do some slicing on my E. That dorsal laser cannon is an engineering disaster and makes ZERO cents. Now, a ventrally located cannon is sensible and pleasing to the eye! As an experimental fighter that was plagued by technical issues...I can totally see why. Reworking is needed.

Well, I'm not sure how making money is related to the muzzle flash, but okay.

• Revanchist, RealGenius and Millennium Falsehood like this

"There's got to be a better way to make a living..." -Kyle Katarn

#15 TonyRockyHorror

TonyRockyHorror

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:56 PM

Don't forget that if you modify the geometry of the ship, as in the shape, it become illegal in official tournament use.

#16 Lagomorphia

Lagomorphia

• Members
  • 753 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:00 PM

Isn't it still the same shape though? Still recognisable.

#17 Red G

Red G

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:11 PM

Isn't it still the same shape though? Still recognisable.

I'd be fine with it if I were playing against you, but the official tournament rules only allow repaints. No modding.
  • Digitalkiller likes this

#18 Sekac

Sekac

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:12 PM

That's true...your concerned about muzzle flash in a world where:

• Sound exists in space.
  • Starships can move through space like fighters in an atmosphere.
  • Fires can exist in space.
  • A weapon exists that can destroy an entire planet.
  • Shields that can deflect laser weapons.
  • Laser weapons.
  • Hyperspace.
  • THE FREAKING FORCE!
All this and you moan that the ships cannon is illogically placed. I present the motion that an exhaust port not properly protected on a superweapon is illogical.

Technically speaking, both fires and sound CAN exist in space. The vacuum of space just doesn't have the oxygen/whatever other flammable material to sustain a fire, nor the concentration of molecules to conduct sound. But that's really neither here nor there.

I don't think we should be stiffling the creativity of the OP by convincing him that he doesn't logically HAVE to move the gun. I, for one, hate the placement of that weapon for purely aesthetic reasons and welcome pictures of mods of any kind. He's got my vote.

#19 Millennium Falsehood

Millennium Falsehood

• Members
  • 900 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:37 PM

I still don't get why people think the E-wing's cannon is an issue. It's perfectly fine, IMO. In fact, it's probably the single best example of cannon placement seen in the EU, because it's centrally located.

The F/A-18's main gun is set right in front of the cockpit as well along the centerline, and is the only fighter to have a cannon located here. The reason for this is that the engineers who designed it realized that the most common complaint regarding machine guns and cannons in attack and air superiority fighters was that the gun was off-center and hard to aim because of that.

The E-wing's main cannon has similar placement, along with wide-spaced cannons on the wings which make it an ideal long-range strafing fighter.

The argument against muzzle flash is also rather dumb, considering the muzzle flash on starfighters is nonexistent in the original trilogy. None of the fighters exhibited it in any movie (even the prequels, where it would have been more likely to see). In addition, the Y-wing and TIE Fighter have guns which are located much closer to the pilot; if any fighter is going to be blinding its pilots with muzzle flash, it would be those two. Finally, the aforementioned F/A-18 has muzzle flash as well, but it never blinds its pilots.

The only possible issue with the main gun might be that it blocks a ~5* segment of the sky, but that's really a non-issue considering starfighter guns are aimed using sensors and not line-of-sight (as seen in A New Hope). Spotting is done from forward and rear-facing scopes that are a part of the pilot's HUD, so it's not like the cannon prevents finding an enemy ship (how else do you explain how TIE Fighter pilot's can have any amount of situational awareness with their windscreens only accounting for about a 80* arc in front of them?).

TL;DR The E-wing's cannon is actually one of the best designs on any starfighter because of its central placement.

Edited by Millennium Falsehood, 08 June 2014 - 07:38 PM.

• Blail Blerg likes this

Rebel Alliance: 7 X-wings, 4 Y-wings, 4 A-wings, 1 YT-1300, 2 HWK-290s, 3 B-wings, 1 GR-75, 1 CR-90

Galactic Empire: 6 TIE Fighters, 1 TIE Advanced, 2 Firespray-31s, 1 Lambda class Shuttle, 3 TIE Bombers

"Main characters defeat a Star Trek villain? Give 'em a Star Wars celebration!"

#20 ObiWonka

ObiWonka

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:44 PM

For some reason, I always thought the E-Wing's third cannon was underneath the ship. Which makes a lot more sense/looks better, IMO. But it's not going to stop me from playing with them.

Rebel: 2x A-Wing, 2x B-Wing, 1x E-Wing, 2x HWK-290, 4x X-Wing, 2x Y-Wing, 1x YT-1300, 1x Z-95 Headhunter

Imperial: 1x Firespray-31, 1x Lambda Shuttle, 1x TIE Defender, 6x TIE Fighter, 1x TIE Advanced, 2x TIE Bomber, 6x TIE Interceptor, 1x TIE Phantom

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS