Dual coloured gate cards.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:04 PM

Today, for the very first time, I drew one of the dual coloured gate encounter cards that intructs you to immediately fight an AO. Bob Jenkins promptly wiped the floor with Ithaqua, but it was still a really cool encounter. :)

This made me wish that more AO's had been included on these types of cards. But now that I think about it I'm not sure it could be done except in a very forced and artificial way.

Cthulhu is naturally encountered in R'lyeh. Ithaqua at the appropriately cold Plateau of Leng. And Shub-Niggurath at Yuggoth. (I believe Shub's connection to Yuggoth is via the Mi-Go who worship her.) But I can't think of a connection between the remaining AO's and the other OW areas. The only exception being Yog-Sothoth who could quite happily link up with Another Dimension. The only down side is that that particular OW area doesn't have it's own encounters and is covered by the generic 'Other' encounters. 

Does anyone else think it would have been possible to create more than three dual coloured gate cards? Or are the three we have the only reasonable options given the OW areas available?

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,539 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:28 PM

Hastur with Carcosa comes to mind; and I think Atlach goes with the Dreamlands. Kadath could work for Nyarlathotep, maybe?

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 Theron Marks

Theron Marks

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:15 PM

Hastur - Carcosa

Quachil Uttaus - Another Time

Ybb Tstll and Bokrug - Dreamlands (in the jungle of Kled)

Chaugnar Faugn - Plateau of Leng

Yog Sothoth - Another Dimension (or time?)

Nyarlathotep - Yuggoth (it is told that it was there were human eyes first looked at the Shinning Trapezohedron)

Tsathoggua - Abyss

Abhoth - Abyss (N'kai, actualy)

Those are pretty straight forward (as far as I know the Mythos), the rest of the AO require some extra imagination, for example: Y'golonac could be found in Celaeno (because he has power over tomes, and Celaeno is a library), Shudde M'ell can be located in the Underworld or Abyss (he's trapped underground), and so on.

#4 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:24 PM

Hastur - Carcosa

Quachil Uttaus - Another Time

Ybb Tstll and Bokrug - Dreamlands (in the jungle of Kled)

Chaugnar Faugn - Plateau of Leng

Yog Sothoth - Another Dimension (or time?)

Nyarlathotep - Yuggoth (it is told that it was there were human eyes first looked at the Shinning Trapezohedron)

Tsathoggua - Abyss

Abhoth - Abyss (N'kai, actualy)

Has anyone stopped to look at these names and think to themselves, 'By jove these are all rather silly!'

• Steve-O likes this

#5 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:00 PM

Has anyone stopped to look at these names and think to themselves, 'By jove these are all rather silly!'

LOL. Well played, sir.

#6 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:12 AM

Your avatar is what sells your response in this, Steve! XD

#7 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:12 PM

Your avatar is what sells your response in this, Steve! XD

Yeah, I like this avatar.  It's the perfect mix of smiling, smirking, sarcasm and suspicion.  I find it helps to punctuate a surprisingly large number of my posts. =P

It also looks an awful lot like a guy I used to know who embodied those same elements in his everyday life.

#8 klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:51 AM

Hastur with Carcosa comes to mind; and I think Atlach goes with the Dreamlands. Kadath could work for Nyarlathotep, maybe?

Atlach lives in Hyperborea, he just spins a web between the waking world and Dreamlands to connect them together.

"To each of us falls a task. And all the Emperor requires of us Guardsmen is that we stand in line, and we die fighting. It is what we do best: we die standing."

-General Sturnn, Cadian 412th regiment

#9 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,539 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:10 AM

Good point, thanks. Still, not existing Hyperborea, the Dreamlands sounds still good to me :)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS