Newbie: Combat involving multiple creatures

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Buckarooo

Buckarooo

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:56 PM

Played first game last night and ran into a situation a couple times where we couldn't find the answer in the rulebook:

You land on a space where you draw two or three cards and the cards are all creatures you have to fight.  I understand that you combine the strength of the creatures and resolve the combat with one die roll for them and one for you.

However, how is the encounter resolved if one creature card gives strength and the other gives craft?  Do you roll two seperate combat rolls?

#2 Ancient Virus

Ancient Virus

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:02 PM

Hi Buckaroo

I believe that you would resolve each fight separately in order of the encounter number on each enemy card. If the encounter numbers are the same then you fight them in the order that they were drawn.

It would be a separate battle roll for the enemy with strength and another craft roll for the pyschic combat. You would only fight the second enemy if you beat the first, otherwise your turn would end immediately.

Hope this helps.

On a life long Warlock Quest

#3 Artaterxes

Artaterxes

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:16 PM

If the encounter numbers are the same then you fight them in the order that they were drawn.

I agree with the rest of your answer but as for this point, enemies with the same encounter number are actually encountered together, as if they were a single enemy with a combined Strength or Craft. In such a fight, the enemies roll a single attack die as if they were one. Should you lose, you only lose one life. Should you win, you take both as trophies.

#4 Buckarooo

Buckarooo

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:17 PM

Thanks for the replies.  the scenario that occurred was that I landed on the space on the middle region where you draw 3 cards.  The 3 cards were a Demon (craft 10), a Wraith (craft 3?) and a dragon (strength 7).  Yikes?  You bet!

So I took them on separately by combat type.  The dragon by strength and the others by combined craft.  Beta the dragon but had no hope vs the others combined.

I did't take into account their encounter numbers.  

#5 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 09:24 PM

Encounter numbers are the key.

RoboRally, then Talisman. That's the way it is... ;)

#6 chemical22

chemical22

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:52 AM

In your scenario you'd resolve it as follows:

Dragon has an encounter number of 2, while the Demon and Wraith both have an encounter number of 3.  You always resolved cards in order of the lowest number first.

So... Dragon - Strength 7, has an encounter number of 2, it goes first.

If you lose to the dragon: 

You lose 1 Life, and you would not encounter any other cards since you cannot encounter cards with higher encounter numbers until you successfully resolve the cards prior to it.

If it is a tie: 

No damage.  Dragon remains.  You do not encounter the cards beneath because the card was not successfully resolved.

If you defeat the dragon: 

You move onto fighting the Demon and the Wraith combined for a total of 15 Craft.  If you win this combat, then you take both as a trophy.  If you lose this combat you only take one combined Life loss from the battle.

Lets assume there were items under the creatures as well.  Equipment has a higher encounter number, so you would have to defeat the strength and craft creatures before you could take the items.

Edited by chemical22, 02 June 2014 - 11:31 AM.

#7 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:36 AM

10 + 5 = 13 PMSL :P

#8 chemical22

chemical22

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:30 AM

10 + 5 = 13 PMSL :P

Oh is the Wraith 5?  He had said (3?) - I wasn't sure myself.   But it wouldn't be the first time my math was off :)

Fixed.

Edited by chemical22, 02 June 2014 - 11:31 AM.

#9 Buckarooo

Buckarooo

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:36 PM

chemical22  Thanks very much for the explanation.  Makes complete sense with the encounter numbers.
  • chemical22 likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS