Fellowship sphere and other ring bearers

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ZanzibarLand

ZanzibarLand

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:13 AM

I decided to play the Black riders box today for the first time and noticed something interesting. The use of language leads me to think that there will be other ring bearers. I know this is old new to most people and I've seen one or two posts in other threads about it but decided to make this anyway.

Who could be other ring bearers? I admittedly haven't ever read the books so I'm not sure who else could be a bearer (I know this is a crime and I plan to remedy this at the end of term).
Sam is the only one that comes to mind. Maybe Smeagol?

Again, I know it's old news for most people but I thought it was something interesting we could chat about. :) Let me know what you think.

#2 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:45 AM

Anyone. Anyone who participated in the journey, doubtfully even Gollum.

#3 Catastrophic09

Catastrophic09

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:36 PM

It's hard to say how much the developers will let you stray from the original quest and ring-bearer. Will they open it up for any hero to gain the ring-bearer title or keep it restricted to Frodo and Sam?? I think at first is sounds cool if they scraped the Saga Hero Sphere after this next box and from now only only had a title attachment for a hero to be the ring-bearer, that would make for crazy scenarios and alternate world outcomes. But also that strays so far from the sources I don't know if I would really be comfortable with anyone but Frodo and Sam being the ring-bearer...

#4 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:43 PM

Um. We have a Grima hero. Stop clinging to the source.

#5 Catastrophic09

Catastrophic09

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:55 PM

Um. We have a Grima hero. Stop clinging to the source.

Grima agrees with the source.. since it happened before he fully came out of the closet.

Maybe Grima could be the ring-bearer at some point... lol that seems so ridiculous   :lol:

#6 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:11 PM

You can play Grima in quests during the times when he actually revealed himself to be a traitor.

#7 Catastrophic09

Catastrophic09

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:18 PM

Yeah I know, hence the Doomed keyword and him partly screwing you over still.

#8 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:56 PM

There are a bunch of other rings. Elrond and Galadriel have them for example, so dose Saruman, etc etc. Pretty much anyone can carry rings, they all come at a price, but the one ring is the one that is the most full on. Anyone can carry it, but if you are a thematic player, I guess only frodo, Faramior, Gollum and Sam can hold it and only for a short time.
"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#9 ZanzibarLand

ZanzibarLand

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:21 PM

There are a bunch of other rings. Elrond and Galadriel have them for example, so dose Saruman, etc etc. Pretty much anyone can carry rings, they all come at a price, but the one ring is the one that is the most full on. Anyone can carry it, but if you are a thematic player, I guess only frodo, Faramior, Gollum and Sam can hold it and only for a short time.

I was talking about the specific ring bearer trait, related to the saga LOTR boxes.

When does Faramir have the ring?

#10 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:10 PM

I was talking about the specific ring bearer trait, related to the saga LOTR boxes.
When does Faramir have the ring?
He never does, don't know where he got that from

#11 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:06 PM

Don't know about books, but in the movies, when Faramir caught Frodo, he had the guts to let him continue his jounrey without taking the ring from him. Maybe that's why.

• ZanzibarLand likes this

#12 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:02 AM

In the books as well, in fact it is a very important part of the story that was glossed over by the movies. Only 2 people resisted the ring. Faramir and Frodo, both becuase of love. Sam for Frodo and Faramir for his father. Aragorn, Gandalf, everyone else is consumed, but both of these guys gave it up freely. This is a massive plot point and has implications all the way though the idea of the "blood of men" being tainted. Not even Aragorn is immune... there is only 1 human that shows the men can be better than they are, again, as with Sam though Love and Loyalty. 

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#13 ZanzibarLand

ZanzibarLand

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:34 AM

Interesting. So he isn't a ring bearer in a typical sense, although he did bear and resist its corruption. I don't think he will be a ring bearer card though, the first thing you do to the bearer is give them the one ring.

After a little bit of thinking and all your responses, I'm thinking its just worded wonky and we will get a new frodo and nothing else. I'm hoping its an alternative Frodo though, not a replacement like the second Bilbo is. It would be good if he had a different ability that was just as useful so we could choose.

Edited by ZanzibarLand, 02 June 2014 - 05:37 AM.

• PsychoRocka likes this

#14 ZanzibarLand

ZanzibarLand

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:40 AM

Anyone. Anyone who participated in the journey, doubtfully even Gollum.

Hopefully Gollum. He had it at one point. Frodo, Bilbo, Gollum and Isildur are the only ones to ever hold it.
Sorry Golum could work.

#15 Courchevel

Courchevel

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:52 AM

Galadriel proved herself by relinquishing the ring offered by Frodo. And Aragorn let Frodo flee where Boromir couldn't at Parth Galen.

Not to mention Tom Bombadil, not even corrupted by the One Ring.

• PsychoRocka and ZanzibarLand like this

#16 scottindeed

scottindeed

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:53 AM

It's been a while since I read the books, but in the film at least, Sam takes the ring after Frodo is incapictated by Shelob and taken off by the Orcs.

#17 koriakin97

koriakin97

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:09 PM

There was already spoiled second version of Frodo. His stats remained the same, but he changed his ability (I don't remember it now, but it's somewhere in Road darkness' news)

#18 koriakin97

koriakin97

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:13 PM

I checked his ability-when he defends, exhaust One Ring, spend one ring resource and raise each player's threat by 2 so that this enemy cannot deal damage by this attack

#19 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:40 PM

Yeah, we know. And there is 4 more saga boxes to go. I will be very dissapointed if the only ring bearer through all these boxes will be Frodo.

#20 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:07 PM

Galadriel proved herself by relinquishing the ring offered by Frodo. And Aragorn let Frodo flee where Boromir couldn't at Parth Galen.

Not to mention Tom Bombadil, not even corrupted by the One Ring.

N0t taking the ring it a big difference to picking it up and giving it back. They refused it from fear.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS