• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

The Empire Needs You!

• Members
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:17 AM

Yeah, the problem really "just" rests with combat-focused characters - such as the Renegade - trying to get a bit of spotlight, too. Human characters in general can find a role either behind the scenes or by utilising knowledge and interaction Skills, but I'd recommend discouraging players from picking the Renegade once you have CSM in your group. (or removing the inflated gap between "Legion" and everyone elses weapons/armour)

Unless they're fine taking the back seat, that is. The Archetype can still have interesting concepts, such as a skilled assassin for infiltration and targeted violence, or even a pilot/driver kind of character.

Exactly. Renegades are very, very useful - but if a player wants to stand in line between chaos marines trading bolter volleys, he'll be disappointed.

Assassins? Excellent. Adroit ajility and not wearing bloody powered armour makes them the first choice for getting places that heretics should not be.

Commanders? Equally good. Adroit Fellowship, along with Excessive Wealth and an infamy bonus, makes the requisition stage funny. A conversation from the last game we had:

"And the Iron Warrior?"

"Some sort of transport ship." [Rolls]

"...Fine. It won't be combat-capable, though. Yup, okay, the Night Lord?"

"More stalker bolts." [Rolls]

"Okay - one reload for each pistol. Thousand Son?"

"What do I need for the ritual again?"

"Mostly just you. We'll call the assorted other components a single...Very Rare? That sound fair?" [Rolls]

"It would be if I could roll anything less than a ninety."

"Tough. Improvise. Stigmartus commander?"

"A reinforced battalion of veteran Stigmartus Infantry."

"You can't....no...no, you probably can, can't you." [Rolls]

"Yes, apparently you can. I take it the covert approach plan is being rejected?"

• Keffisch likes this

#22 Terraneaux

Terraneaux

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:24 AM

WS is still basically more important than S or T for melee combat.  Hence why the Renegade can still kind of handle it, due to Adriot.  Demon Weapons can close the damage gap, for example.  

#23 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

The Empire Needs You!

• Members
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:25 AM

Indeed you can manage melee fighting probably better than a gunfight. Although getting hit still hurts like buggery. Our renegade was perfectly capable of standing in line alongside the other astartes when a force of plaguebearers boarded the ship in a warp incursion, but the one time he did take a hit left him on the floor, more or less crippled.

Balanced or defensive weapons and a more defensive approach than the axe-wielding bezerker is called for, though. You can't go far wrong with a sword and shield, with whatever technological or sorcerous enhancements you can muster.

#24 Chastity

Chastity

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:31 AM

As for using social skills vs other PCs, I'm in the camp that thinks they shouldn't be treated differently. They're skills. They cost XP. You can defend against them using other skills that also cost XP.

Why should the guy who invests in combat talents be allowed to use them to bully other PCs, if the guy who invests in persuasion is not?

Why should PCs be "immune" to certain game effects, but not others? If it's OK to just say "nah, my guy doesn't want that" when he is subjected to deception by a cunning apostate, then it must be ok to say "nah, that didn't hurt" when the space marine smacks him with his power-fist. Right?

I partly agree.

I think I would argue that PC "immunity" to interaction skills is more akin to a group convention that PCs won't kill each other. I can't ignore your power fist damage, but I can rely on a social convention that says your character probably won't just flip out and kill my character unless we're playing an explicitly PvP game.

If we *are* playing an explicitly PvP game then I'd agree that my Charm should be exactly as effective as your Lightning Attack.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS