Askil's Only Nercromunda Project (WIP)

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#41 Askil

Askil

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:01 AM

Following a few runs through the chargen system with a buddy I`ll be increasing the base stats upto +15 at least if not back to +20. (his rolled stats ranaged from 17 to 22 which are hardly inspiring.)

Considering making an alternative use for unspent quirk points to give them greater value and make players consider piling on disadvantages. Possibly equipment packages.   

Any suggestions as to what stating experiece should be would be appreciated I`m thinking maybe a thousand would fill the ability gap of not having starting spec abilities?

As for ammo costing They are just adaptions of the DH ones at the moment they will all be readjusted one I get the maths for cost per shot down.

I even drew a table to spell out aptitudes, how much easier does it get? (Still I`ll take another look at it.)

#42 cpteveros

cpteveros

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:54 AM

I guess one way to make people take more disadvantages is make all the advantages more expensive, so that getting more than one advantage requires taking at least one disadvantage. 

Maybe for characteristics it could be 1d10 + 1d5 +20? or 3d5 + 20? The second one would put everyone in the mid to high twenties, which I think is an acceptable place for joe shmo the hive scum.

Reading over your aptitudes section was confusing, as you didn't explain how it was supposed to work, really. The chart doesn't help much, I'm afraid. At least for me, and I have a much better grasp of the rules than the rest of my group does. 

#43 Askil

Askil

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:12 AM

I had advantages cost more in an earlier draft but it struck me as unfair that taking a -6 penalty couldn`t buy you a +6 elsewhere.

Originally I had a major and minor quirk system where you had to balance every advantage you bought with a disadvantage (a major could be balanced by two minors and vice versa) like the Serenity roleplay game.

As for the aptitude picking I`ll have another read through but basically:

You pick four characteristic aptitudes in descending order of how important they are to your character.

The first aptitude gains +5 to it`s stat and the stat`s secondary aptitude e.g. Ballistic skill aptitude is picked you gain +5 BS and Finesse aptitude.

The second Aptitude also gains it`s associated secondary aptitude e.g. Toughness aptitude picked you gain Defence aptitude

...and so on as shown on the table.

#44 cpteveros

cpteveros

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:23 AM

Had you put that description of the aptitude system in there, it wouldn't be a problem  :lol:

I am running a test adventure for ON tonight with some friends, I will let you know how it goes.

#45 Askil

Askil

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:34 PM

Ran my own little test game on Saturday noticed a few issues that were immediately obvious.

1. I hadn`t put in starting XP (tried 800 but would proably beef that up to 1000-1200 ish in future)

2. I hadn`t put any kind of limits on starting gear but cost.

3. Might need make some of the the quirk rues a little ore robust to avoid exploits. (like taking a cursed keepsake and then throwing it away for two free exta points.)

4. Most obvious thing last, incomplete gear listing seriously limiting equipmet.

#46 cpteveros

cpteveros

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:21 PM

My session may or may not happen tonight, depending on if people can make it. Why would the experience need to be so high? Part of the fun is watching your character get better over time, after all. 

I have noticed that the quirks system could be easily abused, but it should be fine. The group's powergamer is in Japan so I'm not worried.

What needs to be added?

EDIT: So the session had only two guys show up, but I adjusted accordingly and we went for it anyway. They got through everything just fine, the longest part of character creation was deciding on Quirks and then buying equipment.

I houseruled a couple things:

1. Characteristics were rolled as 3d5 + 20. This gave them pretty average starting stats, but with the quirks and aptitude bonus they were in the high 30's for some choice characteristics.

2. Cybernetics from the Bionic Enhancement advantage were only the Scarce ones in OW; this was to prevent a character from randomly having a baleful eye or something like that. My player went with a bionic arm, since it was a mostly flavor advantage rather than an actual advantage. 

3. Trusty Sidearm required the gun to be bought, in addition to being Average or better. Didn't have him roll for availability, though.

4. Cursed Sidearm didn't give bonuses. I didn't think it was much of a disadvantage if you could still do 1d10 more damage or hit them in an already injured spot.

5. Starting gear had to be bought, of course, but with a merchant rating of 0. 

6. Wounds were generated as 1d10 + 5.

The players completed their first session, albeit both were quite critically damaged. They liked being able to build their characters however they wanted to, and it was interesting to see the concepts they came up with. Neither one abused the character creation system, but down the line I can see my other players definitely doing that. 

Edited by cpteveros, 30 June 2014 - 11:26 PM.

#47 Askil

Askil

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:41 AM

Initial experience needs to be so high because there are no starting skills or talents except those mentioned in quirks as of yet. and starting characters should have at least two or three of each. (Skills should be a whole lot more important in ON.)

I houseruled a couple things:

1. Characteristics were rolled as 3d5 + 20. This gave them pretty average starting stats, but with the quirks and aptitude bonus they were in the high 30's for some choice characteristics.

2. Cybernetics from the Bionic Enhancement advantage were only the Scarce ones in OW; this was to prevent a character from randomly having a baleful eye or something like that. My player went with a bionic arm, since it was a mostly flavor advantage rather than an actual advantage. 

3. Trusty Sidearm required the gun to be bought, in addition to being Average or better. Didn't have him roll for availability, though.

4. Cursed Sidearm didn't give bonuses. I didn't think it was much of a disadvantage if you could still do 1d10 more damage or hit them in an already injured spot.

5. Starting gear had to be bought, of course, but with a merchant rating of 0. 

6. Wounds were generated as 1d10 + 5.

1. This only produces a range of 23-35 (as opposed to 22-40) by FFG's own reckoning 26-35 is the average for humanity so I think the higher range is justified.

2. The entry actually states that the bionic must be common qulaity and only a limb or sense (basically only bionic arms, legs, eyes, ears, tongues or noses) not fancy variants thereof.

3. Trusty sidearms are chosen after you buy your gear. (we ran into this too.)

4. I'm kind of wavering on this quirk, if there isn't a reason to use the cursed weapon rather than just throw it away, it's ripe for exploiting. I may roll both these quirks back to a previous version (trusty and cursed weapons having a temporary fate point that can only be spent while using the weapon.)

5.This is exactly how I handle it just never found it's way into the document (great minds eh?)

6. Yeah this is basically what we did. (Albeit with our house rule of adding your TB to wounds on top of this.)

I ran a basic "so you're in a pub" game which ended up with our group's three heaviliy armed drunkards bursting into a nobleman's house to collect a *****'s bar tab (a ***** who turned out to be the sickly old nobleman's young, beautiful and incredibly bored trophy wife.) This led to a scene of staggering akwardness until she paid them a small fortune to never come back.

In the process they insulted a deadly (job giving) bounty hunter, assaulted a pair of doormen, harrassed a (job giving) guilder, broke into a flophouse and paid 10 credits for a bar tab that they hadn't accrued because they were too stupid to argue with me.

To top it all off they will still only have 35 credits between them after they pay of the *****'s tab at the bar, Butte's hole.

Edited by Askil, 01 July 2014 - 03:42 AM.

#48 cpteveros

cpteveros

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:32 AM

Initial experience needs to be so high because there are no starting skills or talents except those mentioned in quirks as of yet. and starting characters should have at least two or three of each. (Skills should be a whole lot more important in ON.)

1. This only produces a range of 23-35 (as opposed to 22-40) by FFG's own reckoning 26-35 is the average for humanity so I think the higher range is justified.

2. The entry actually states that the bionic must be common qulaity and only a limb or sense (basically only bionic arms, legs, eyes, ears, tongues or noses) not fancy variants thereof.

3. Trusty sidearms are chosen after you buy your gear. (we ran into this too.)

4. I'm kind of wavering on this quirk, if there isn't a reason to use the cursed weapon rather than just throw it away, it's ripe for exploiting. I may roll both these quirks back to a previous version (trusty and cursed weapons having a temporary fate point that can only be spent while using the weapon.)

5.This is exactly how I handle it just never found it's way into the document (great minds eh?)

6. Yeah this is basically what we did. (Albeit with our house rule of adding your TB to wounds on top of this.)

I ran a basic "so you're in a pub" game which ended up with our group's three heaviliy armed drunkards bursting into a nobleman's house to collect a *****'s bar tab (a ***** who turned out to be the sickly old nobleman's young, beautiful and incredibly bored trophy wife.) This led to a scene of staggering akwardness until she paid them a small fortune to never come back.

In the process they insulted a deadly (job giving) bounty hunter, assaulted a pair of doormen, harrassed a (job giving) guilder, broke into a flophouse and paid 10 credits for a bar tab that they hadn't accrued because they were too stupid to argue with me.

To top it all off they will still only have 35 credits between them after they pay of the *****'s tab at the bar, Butte's hole.

I see what you mean about initial experience and the skills. I gave them 600 xp as starting, but I will consider bumping that up to give them more options for starting builds. 

1. I knew that it would give human averages for characteristic rolls, and that decision was intentional. My reason being that these characters are average human beings, who may be a bit better (or worse) than average due to their origin and personal quirks, as opposed to some random intrinsic number. Fluffy reasons besides, it allows the players to be more or less average while choosing the areas they want their character to be a little better or worse in through the advantages/origin mechanics. The original rolls may be low, but that's to offset the chance that a heap of char gen bonuses could elevate them to Space Marine levels of skill - right at the start of the game.

2. And that's essentially what I had them do. Scarce bionics are the Arms, Legs, Cranial Armor, and Vocal implant. I allowed Cybernetic Senses, as well. The only useful one in that group is Cranial Armor, and not very helpful at that. 

3 & 4. You could say that the cursed weapon must be kept on the person at all times, or that it is a -20 willpower test to use a different weapon. 

5. It seemed to make the most sense, so I'm glad we both thought of it  :)

6. I should have thought of adding the TB, so I might have them do that for the next session. As it stands, one player rolled a one and now has six wounds (lol) which kind of fit his character concept of a more intellectual-themed scumbag. 

That sounds like quite the scenario, I might have to borrow that one! I had thought of doing something involving a barroom brawl or a game of cards gone sour, but I opted for a more traditional "Western" scenario instead. The characters were approached in a bar by a woman who begged them to save her daughter from the gang that had taken over their holestead. After roughing her up a bit for an "advance" they proceeded to run in, guns and eviscerator blazing, which ended up with the leader of the gang dead, the eviscerator-wielding "intellectual-mobster" losing a foot, and the other player having both his legs broken. They were outnumbered, and somehow managed to make two gangers question their way of life while the players crawled away. The remaining ganger was sniped by a yet-unnamed NPC who may or may not be a future plot hook (I just really didn't want them to both die on the first mission, also added the extra enemy in there by accident) so it was a mostly successful mission. The reward was a paid-for medical bill. Hopefully they learned their lesson. 

#49 Askil

Askil

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:01 PM

As for the stats thing I don`t really see an issue if player wants to buy a whole mess of quirks to buff up and space marines are pitifully weak in FFG without their unnatural stats and rare gear. 2d10+20 is the FFG standard, it generates stats that work well within the system. If you go lower you risk discouraging players with constant test failures.

Your guys seem to be kind of stuck in an all-out wargame rather than a cyberpunk/western sandbox.

i also want to stress that players are not by default a gang. They are essentially nobodies they can choose to form or join a gang as things progress but who wants to be a juve in sombody else`s gang when they can be an awesome freelance adventurer?

What actually worked well for my players was their characters just bumping into each other in the bar and banding together for survival and the slim hope of monetary advantage.

My guys never fired a shot in four hours of play, they dearly wanted to but the occaision to do so never arose as they were walking about in a town. They did however get to use navigate, security, charm, deceive, tech-use, common lore (necromunda) and commerce skills more than their WS and BS for once.

I wanted them to remember in ON that you don`t have the clout of a big Imperial organisation (or anyone at all for that matter) backing you up, when you start killing you are committing a good old fashioned murder. Watchmen gangs, bounty hunters, angry enforcers and angrier friends and family of killed foes are very real dangers.

That said, your scenario sounds pretty cool too. I might use it later if the guys get a bit of a reputation.

Edited by Askil, 01 July 2014 - 02:02 PM.

#50 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:56 PM

i also want to stress that players are not by default a gang. They are essentially nobodies they can choose to form or join a gang as things progress but who wants to be a juve in sombody else`s gang when they can be an awesome freelance adventurer?

Emphasis mine.
Don't these 2 statements strike anyone but me as contradictive?

#51 cpteveros

cpteveros

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:57 PM

As for the stats thing I don`t really see an issue if player wants to buy a whole mess of quirks to buff up and space marines are pitifully weak in FFG without their unnatural stats and rare gear. 2d10+20 is the FFG standard, it generates stats that work well within the system. If you go lower you risk discouraging players with constant test failures.

Your guys seem to be kind of stuck in an all-out wargame rather than a cyberpunk/western sandbox.

What actually worked well for my players was their characters just bumping into each other in the bar and banding together for survival and the slim hope of monetary advantage.

My guys never fired a shot in four hours of play, they dearly wanted to but the occaision to do so never arose as they were walking about in a town. They did however get to use navigate, security, charm, deceive, tech-use, common lore (necromunda) and commerce skills more than their WS and BS for once.

I wanted them to remember in ON that you don`t have the clout of a big Imperial organisation (or anyone at all for that matter) backing you up, when you start killing you are committing a good old fashioned murder. Watchmen gangs, bounty hunters, angry enforcers and angrier friends and family of killed foes are very real dangers.

That said, your scenario sounds pretty cool too. I might use it later if the guys get a bit of a reputation.

They are more combat oriented, yes, but we have had some missions where combat was not at all the focus, and those went over really well. They know that they aren't in a gang, though I told them that it was an option. They are playing as freelancers, who came together from off world (or at least that's what these two had decided) so they know that, and I have explained the whole cyberpunk/western thing to them too. 

The mission I ran was meant to get a feel for the different system, and see how everything worked out with tweaked stats and a lack of Guard-level equipment. So yes, it had combat, but I also gave them the opportunity to use skills and solve it without a shot fired. My players decided guns blazing was more appropriate  :lol:

"Holestead Rescue" follows a narrative that isn't unheard of in Westerns; strangers in town asked to perform a task that the person asking couldn't do. It is, after all, usually the guy or group of guys from somewhere else that save the day.

As for revenge and consequences, there will definitely be some of those in the next few sessions. I want them to figure out that shooting first and asking questions later doesn't always help.

Emphasis mine.
Don't these 2 statements strike anyone but me as contradictive?

Yes, and my rub has always been that the starting characteristics in OW are a bit high for the run of the mill, average grunt of the Imperial Guard. Lacking training and a regimented combat lifestyle, it stands to reason that stats in ON should be lower than even 2d10 + 20.

#52 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:05 PM

Yes, and my rub has always been that the starting characteristics in OW are a bit high for the run of the mill, average grunt of the Imperial Guard. Lacking training and a regimented combat lifestyle, it stands to reason that stats in ON should be lower than even 2d10 + 20.

I must admit I rather liked this choice:

More dice give a more peaked distribution and this version still have a fairly low average.
I prefer it to 2d10+20 personally.

#53 cpteveros

cpteveros

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:14 PM

It worked out quite well, too. I mean, everyone gets average stats. The things they want to be better at, they pick advantages and their origin to make it happen. Then you have people who are average in most areas, but good at some things (which is how people are, really)

#54 Askil

Askil

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:48 PM

To go back to this perceived stas issue 2d10+20 is the stat base for every FFG system game involving humans it`s even the base in the famously low powered DH1.

If an obese adept from a cushy imperial world has 2d10+20 across the board I can`t see why a Necromundan scummer shouldn`t. (Unless you are really desperate to have -5 Toughness +5 Fellowship.)

The basis of this is the OW system is balanced for human versus human combat high stats make you a bit more effective but much lower can make you irrelevant.

As for the nobodies thing.

I simply mean the players are not famed badass heroes they don`t have shiny badges, unassailable authority or the planetary governor on speed dial. 

They are just a bunch of people in a bad situation (that of being out of work in the underhive) they have no powerful connections, fearsome reputation or outstanding fame to capitalise on. They are tiny near-suicidally confident minnows in a pond full of fiercely territorial sharks with gang-tattoos and big guns.

One of my players built a "trader" he confidently mentioned this to a guilder and was shaken down for not paying guild dues, another wants to be a bounty hunter but nobody will talk to him until he gets an official guild license for fear of retribution. They ended up having to do an odd job to pay off their bar tab. My players learnt the hard way that starting PCs in ON are not established professionals they are wannabe losers.

It`s the job of the players and GM to turn their worthless broke scum into famous reviled/feared/hated/loved scum if that is what they want but most importantly just scum with a few more credits in their pockets.

Edited by Askil, 02 July 2014 - 11:58 PM.

#55 cpteveros

cpteveros

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:25 AM

I understand that 2d10 + 20 is the roll that FFG has chosen to represent humans, and I have played with it several times. My issue stems from the fact that this is the base level for everybody, which doesn't account for the modifiers players will get from regimental options and specialties. In the end of character creation, you can quite easily end up with a character that (supposedly being just the average joe shmoe guardsman) has the stats of a level that is almost superhuman, right at the start. Add in the +20 characteristic buy, and that character suddenly has an extremely hard time failing. 

I mean even Seal Team 6 misses shots, body builders fail strength competitions, world class athletes trip, and these are all human beings. Humans that are well trained, but certainly not anywhere near a Space Marine, which is what you can get to with 2d10 + 20.

Not very average human at all, if you ask me.

As for players being nobodies with no authority or respect, I don't think anyone was arguing the contrary. I think that going from zero to hero is part of the draw of any game, especially one like this. Part of my reasoning for lower characteristics is because of that. If my posts came across as contrary to that, I apologize. 

#56 Askil

Askil

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:32 AM

I see your point with the abusable system making OTT characters is easier than in base OW but lowering starting stats a few point doesn`t change it. If you want to pile on quirks to build the Hulk by buying combat stats and dumping on everything else you`ll do it anyway.

I for one hope you enjoy playing your enormous ogryn/scaly, but don`t blame me when you run into extended social encounters, doors too small for you to go through, tasks requiring a grasp of basic literacy, complex locks set in impervious adamantium doors, malfunctioning combat servitors, heavily armoured enforcers, redemptionist mobs and tricked out spyrer teams who have come to hunt the beast.

Your friend the GM should be there to encourage you not to abuse the system, if he chooses not to do so directly the underhive can do it for him later.

The zero to hero thing was more a case of play emphasis. Partially for realistic expectaions for players but mostly for GMs to reign in the "epic quest" stuff until the PCs are regarded as reliable enough to do them by the folks of the underhive.

Starting level characters should be unknowns. Desperately looking for any job that somebody is wiling to pay for but doesn`t want the hassle of going to the more expensve and reliable gangs or Guild to get it done.

When you need something done you go to either your friends or the people you know can help. You wouldn`t hire nobodies you found in the street with saving your kidnapped children for example you`d go to somebody you knew you could trust.

Later on PCs can become famous, feared and/or respected, legendary hero/villans in their own right, sought out by those hivers desperate and rich enough to engage their sevices.

#57 cpteveros

cpteveros

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:32 PM

I see your point with the abusable system making OTT characters is easier than in base OW but lowering starting stats a few point doesn`t change it. If you want to pile on quirks to build the Hulk by buying combat stats and dumping on everything else you`ll do it anyway.

I for one hope you enjoy playing your enormous ogryn/scaly, but don`t blame me when you run into extended social encounters, doors too small for you to go through, tasks requiring a grasp of basic literacy, complex locks set in impervious adamantium doors, malfunctioning combat servitors, heavily armoured enforcers, redemptionist mobs and tricked out spyrer teams who have come to hunt the beast.

Your friend the GM should be there to encourage you not to abuse the system, if he chooses not to do so directly the underhive can do it for him later.

The zero to hero thing was more a case of play emphasis. Partially for realistic expectaions for players but mostly for GMs to reign in the "epic quest" stuff until the PCs are regarded as reliable enough to do them by the folks of the underhive.

Starting level characters should be unknowns. Desperately looking for any job that somebody is wiling to pay for but doesn`t want the hassle of going to the more expensve and reliable gangs or Guild to get it done.

When you need something done you go to either your friends or the people you know can help. You wouldn`t hire nobodies you found in the street with saving your kidnapped children for example you`d go to somebody you knew you could trust.

Later on PCs can become famous, feared and/or respected, legendary hero/villans in their own right, sought out by those hivers desperate and rich enough to engage their sevices.

I think that the lower characteristics has been given numerous justifications by me in previous posts, not only for balances reasons but to simulate the fact that they are generally untrained nobodies. Again, the quirks might need some tweaking so that it isn't as easy to abuse. While I would like to believe that I can encourage my players with kind words to not abuse the system, they will ultimately do as they please with their character (which they should!). If they do try to stack some characteristics, I know for a fact that they would feel targeted and picked on if I repeatedly tried to punish them in-game for making those choices. It is kind of a gray area for me, both as a player and a GM.

I mean, don't you think it would just work better for everyone if it wasn't so ripe for abuse? 

One potential fix that came to my mind was maybe running the quirks system like the item pattern creator in Hammer of the Emperor. There is a table of number of advantages to disadvantages for a given dice roll; the book also says a player and GM could come to a compromise as well. 

So in the case of the quirks system, it could be like for every two advantages, a disadvantage has to be taken. If you didn't want it to be so hard and fast, you could just as easily lower the amount of starting quirk points a player has to four, and increase all the advantage costs to four as well. So they can get one advantage, or take a couple disadvantages to get a second one. 

Again, I don't mean to continually harp over the quirks system and balance maliciously. This is just something that I know for a fact will come up at my table, and I don't want it to become a game-breaking issue. 

#58 Askil

Askil

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:36 AM

Untrained nobodies, yes but hey are still people and as such they can be either above or below average.

Having run a test using lower stats (2d10+10) I can categorically say lower stats did not make for an interesting game, they made for enthusiasm crushing levels of inability.

That -20 for untrained skills became crippling and made for even more heavily min-maxed characters because being an all-rounder became impossible. Frankly if you want characters to either be capable trained professionals or completely incapable I'd point you toward the irritating shortcomings of DH1's skill system. (notably the inability of untrained individuals to use anything that be defined as technology.)

In essence. Why not take extra disadvantages to reduce your willpower of 13 to 7 and fellowship of 17 to 5 if you can never succeed without a huge bonus anyway?

You seem to be approaching the question of ability from the direction "why should they be able to X" when the OW system is designed on the "why shouldn't they be able to X"

I agree the quirks system will need tweaking to avoid abuse but I really think responsible GMing is the way to go.

Balance requires that advantages and disadvantages remain the same value. If you want to reduce the "freebie" quirks just reduce the points for your group I'm thinking maybe to only one, so if you want to be awesome you have to suck at something.

Anyway, give it a try and tell me how it works out. Hopefully I'll do the same with my group as well tonight.

Edited by Askil, 05 July 2014 - 03:03 AM.

#59 cpteveros

cpteveros

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:58 PM

I didn't use 2d10 + 10, I used 3d5 + 20. One gives you a minimum of 12, and the other gives a minimum of 23. So yes, if we had tried 2d10 + 10 then it would've been a horrendous waste of time. But we didn't. The characteristic roll we used worked out well, and didn't give anything that wasn't average, or a few points above or below it. 

As for being untrained, you yourself said you gave your players like 1200 xp to buy some starting skills so that wouldn't be as much of an issue. Since I am now doing the same, I don't see that being an issue. 

We are playing again tonight so I will let you know how it goes with a less combat oriented session, as well as an extra player. 

• Tenebrae likes this

#60 Askil

Askil

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:39 AM

Yeah I know you tried 3d5 +20, thats really not so different to 2d10 +15 which was one of my first test batches.

I gave my players 800xp but I said I`ll probably increase it later on. Untrained skills were still an issue due in my game due to the number of them required by the session`s shift of emphasis from action and combat to survival and exploration. Most notably charm, deceive, commerce, navigation (underhive) and survival got emerged as big players.

So far I`ve genned chars at +10, +15, +20. With a mix of d5 and d10 combinations. I`ve edged the non random component up each time because lower numbers made fustratingly inflexible characters.

The simple answer is the base system is designed for 2d10+20 characters which result in a average stat of  ~30, meaning that player will succeed a challenging test slightly less than one in three times.

Feel free to chop the legs out from under your players if you feel they should be weaker but I`m leaving the matter at that.

I don`t know why varous gamelines seem to have impresed on people that 2d10+20 stats are the exclusive preserve of outstanding individuals when it`s results are defined as the human average range.

Edited by Askil, 06 July 2014 - 07:43 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS