Photo

Location-based critical damage - separate or stupid?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Simsum

Simsum

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:28 AM

Back when we were playing RAW, one of my players came up with this way of reading DoS/F:

• DoS: the value of the tens die
  • DoF: the value of the tens die, minus the tens digit of the Target Number.

It's basically the same. But you need to add 1 to both DoS & DoF if you use it with one of the later rules revisions that don't operate with the concept of Basic Success/Failure. Otherwise it's possible to fail or succeed a roll with 0DoF/S

Our modified rules have reintroduced Basic Success/Failure, but we roll tests against a Target Number of 100. This was mostly a cosmetic change based on everyone in our group preferring that rolling higher = rolling betterer,

Incidentally, we're using the same Opposed Roll mechanic as Darth Smeg, because it's pretty much the best idea ever. And it is nice to see that great minds think alike :)

I'm mildly baffled FFG hasn't also changed it to work that way. But I suppose maybe they feel the play experience is better when people roll dice against each other.

#22 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:02 AM

To be precise, with the EasyDoS rule your total Degrees of Success is tens digit + 1. Or, to phrase it differently, you get one DoS for passing your test and you score a number of additional successes equal to the tens digit.

Wouldn't this only apply to the later games where basic success has you start with 1 DoS?

Agreed about the DoF tho. :/

• Darth Smeg likes this
current 40k RPG character: Aura Vashaan, Astromancer Witch-Priestess
previous characters: Captain Elias (Celestial Lions Chapter -- debriefed), Comrade-Trooper Dasha Malenko (1207th Valhallan Ice Warriors -- KIA), Sister Elana (Order of the Sacred Rose -- assassinated), Leftenant Darion Baylesworth (Rogue Trader Artemisia -- retired), Taleera "Raven" Nephran (Hive Ganger & Inquisitorial Assassin -- mindwiped)

#23 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:40 AM

Personally, I don't care how DoS/DoF are determined.

It's not even important to me that everyone at the table uses the same method.

As long as each person is consistent about it, and doesn't change how to calculate DoS/DoF after having looked at the dice, I'm happy.

#24 Captain Erf

Captain Erf

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:07 AM

To be precise, with the EasyDoS rule your total Degrees of Success is tens digit + 1. Or, to phrase it differently, you get one DoS for passing your test and you score a number of additional successes equal to the tens digit.

Wouldn't this only apply to the later games where basic success has you start with 1 DoS?

Agreed about the DoF tho. :/

Ah yes, that's right. Sorry, been playing mostly OW these days :)

#25 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:06 PM

No worries, at first I was like "oh shi-", but then I remembered there was a switch. ;)

... though I have to say, I still don't really like the "bonus DoS" you get for free nowadays, but that's probably just because DH was my first game of this system, and the change felt a bit random/arbitrary.

current 40k RPG character: Aura Vashaan, Astromancer Witch-Priestess
previous characters: Captain Elias (Celestial Lions Chapter -- debriefed), Comrade-Trooper Dasha Malenko (1207th Valhallan Ice Warriors -- KIA), Sister Elana (Order of the Sacred Rose -- assassinated), Leftenant Darion Baylesworth (Rogue Trader Artemisia -- retired), Taleera "Raven" Nephran (Hive Ganger & Inquisitorial Assassin -- mindwiped)

#26 Covered in Weasels

Covered in Weasels

• Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:49 PM

No worries, at first I was like "oh shi-", but then I remembered there was a switch. ;)

... though I have to say, I still don't really like the "bonus DoS" you get for free nowadays, but that's probably just because DH was my first game of this system, and the change felt a bit random/arbitrary.

I remember feeling really weird when I told one of my players, "You succeed with zero degrees of success." The new method feels more natural, though it did feel strange making the switch between systems.

• Lynata likes this

Do not ask why you serve.  Only ask how.

Synonymous names include: Buried in Ferrets, Enveloped by Ermine.

Currently GMing a Dark Heresy 2.0 game and inflicting untold misery upon Martin Lockheed and company.

#27 darkforce

darkforce

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:28 AM

I remember feeling really weird when I told one of my players, "You succeed with zero degrees of success." The new method feels more natural, though it did feel strange making the switch between systems.

Hmm... for us,  it was always "well, yeah, you suceed... not gloriously, but whatever you tried somewhat worked"

certainly, it isn't useful in opposed test (unless you use Darth Smeg's Rule which I haven't tested yet) but it worked well enough for us. In fact, it also made some situations easier, at least from the wording... but that's just cosmetics, so whatever. And the other system has it's upsides as well, so I don't really know yet, which notation I'd rather stick with :S

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS