Issue here being that with Predator and Focus you have an 88% chance of rolling two hits(somebody else posted this math, I think juggler, in regards to Howlrunner rerolls). Yes, that leaves you with a problem against High agility ships. But High agility ships are not going to be easy targets to outmanuever.
A/E-Wings, Interceptors, Ties, and Phantoms are all great at avoiding outmanuever. Cutting them to 2 agility just isn't as good as knowing you'll get 2 hits almost every attack.
Outmanuever adds more damage yes. But flying to use it effectively is another matter. Outmanuever is best on A-Wings and Interceptors.(and Phantoms, but they need Vet Instincts much much much more.)
Rerolling one die (by Howlrunner or Predator) increases average damage output against real targets by around 35% for 2 attack dice ships, and around 30% for 3 attack dice ships. So is it worth spending 3 points on top of 14? That's increasing the cost by 21%, to get a 35% attack damage increase. It's not the worst deal in the world, but it's slightly overcosted for what you are getting. If you are spending 20% more on a ship, to break even you need to increase BOTH attack AND durability by 20% EACH to make it worth it, or alternatively increase EITHER the attack OR defense separately by about 40%. Now, against lower PS targets you can reroll 2 dice, which would be primarily beneficial for 3 attack ships, but I haven't run those numbers yet.
Since Predator has a fixed cost of 3, it's actually a better buy on ships that cost more, since you will get more use out of it. The best use would be on a named TE Defender, which is where the upgrade card comes with. Go figure, its almost like FFG thought about this...
Ironically though, the PS6 Defender already has a built-in (conditional) free Target Lock ability, so the best use of Predator is probably on Rexler, the PS8 Defender.
So, the best ships to use Predator on, excluding ships like named squints that auto-need PtL, are probably:
- PS8 TIE Defender
- PS7/8 Firespray
- Named TIE Phantoms (assuming not the VI + ACD route)
- Named YT-1300
- Named E-wing
- Named B-wing
- Named X-wings
In many of these cases you will be able to find a better EPT to use. PtL is the obvious example, as it is mathematically superior to Predator on ships with a Target Lock, but it is much more restrictive in its use.
Predator is best on expensive, lone-wolf ships that can't easily take PtL to TL + F, either by lack of stress shedding removal, or lack of a Targeting Computer. That exactly describes Rexler Brath. Incidentally it also allows you to perfectly fill out a pure Defender squad for 100 points:
Rexler Brath + Predator
2x Delta Squadron Pilots
Edited by MajorJuggler, 09 June 2014 - 02:27 PM.