Revanchist

• Members
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:18 PM

Apex Predator Matador:
Rexler Brath + Predator + HLC +SD
2x BSP + Predator
Backstabber
Because I enjoy sinking 50 points on a small base ship, no other reason.

See, I'd go with PTL on Rexler. That way you can get TL and Focus, then only modify the dice with TL and use the focus to make your opponent cry.

Oops, that's actually what I meant. Stupid cut and paste will do that to you.
Imperial: 5 TIE/ln, 1 TIE/adv, 5 TIE/in, 1 TIE/sa, 2 TIE/d, 1 TIE/ph, 1 Firespray-31, 1 Lambda
Rebel: 3 X-wing, 1 Y-wing, 2 A-wing, 2 B-wing, 1 E-wing, 2 Z-95, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300

"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."

#22 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:19 PM

Hmm...interesting...I was not expecting most responses to this thread to be "Howlrunner would be good here".

I was actually less interested in the BSP swarm idea and more interested in using them in 2's or 3's.  The swarm idea just came with it all.  Lots of tie swarms go down to 6-7 ships to boost PS so spending 12 points to boost PS AND not have to fly in formation just seemed logical.  Add that Howlrunner usually means 20+ points and can't use her own ability and it was just a nice little side idea.

I think 2-3 BSP's will be pretty solid going forward...predator and/or wingman will be great investments.  So far I'm liking the looks of Turr Alpha and Tiger Shark variants more than the swarm. 

• SableGryphon likes this

#23 SableGryphon

SableGryphon

Ghostly Void Bison

• Members
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:39 PM

Hmm...interesting...I was not expecting most responses to this thread to be "Howlrunner would be good here".

I was actually less interested in the BSP swarm idea and more interested in using them in 2's or 3's.  The swarm idea just came with it all.  Lots of tie swarms go down to 6-7 ships to boost PS so spending 12 points to boost PS AND not have to fly in formation just seemed logical.  Add that Howlrunner usually means 20+ points and can't use her own ability and it was just a nice little side idea.

I think 2-3 BSP's will be pretty solid going forward...predator and/or wingman will be great investments.  So far I'm liking the looks of Turr Alpha and Tiger Shark variants more than the swarm. 

I'm in this camp myself. 2-3 BSP with Predator are a nice threat to add to a list. Say, a TIE Phantom or Defender, or a Bounty Hunter or two.

• Revanchist likes this

Come on down to Sable's Shuttle Emporium for all your Alabaster Void Bison needs!

5 TIE Advanced, 6 TIE Bomber, 4 TIE Defender, 10 TIE Fighter, 6 TIE Interceptor, 4 TIE Phantom, 4 Firespray, 5 Lambda, 2 VT-49

7 A-Wing, 7 B-Wing, 3 E-Wing, 7 X-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 6 Z-95, 4 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300, 2 YT-2400, 2 GR-75, 1 CR-90

#24 blade_mercurial

blade_mercurial

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:04 PM

See, I'd go with PTL on Rexler. That way you can get TL and Focus, then only modify the dice with TL and use the focus to make your opponent cry.

But Rexler doesn't really want to be stressed all the time...I think Predator is still preferable for that reason.

#25 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 2,892 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:58 PM

And I liked your post because you're always thinking outside the box and I think that's awesome. :)

I don't like the box. The box was mean to me. One day I will have my revenge.

What box?

#26 ObiWonka

ObiWonka

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:10 PM

And I liked your post because you're always thinking outside the box and I think that's awesome. :)

I don't like the box. The box was mean to me. One day I will have my revenge.

What box?

He doesn't like to talk about it; it was a bad experience. Ironically, his revenge will probably come in the form of a large, white, flying space-box.

Edited by ObiWonka, 29 May 2014 - 08:10 PM.

Rebel: 2x A-Wing, 2x B-Wing, 2x E-Wing, 2x HWK-290, 4x X-Wing, 2x Y-Wing, 1x YT-1300, 2x Z-95 Headhunter

Imperial: 1x Firespray-31, 1x Lambda Shuttle, 2x TIE Defender, 6x TIE Fighter, 1x TIE Advanced, 2x TIE Bomber, 6x TIE Interceptor, 2x TIE Phantom

BEARFACE

#27 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:12 PM

I rather like this list.

Rexler Brath, Predator (40)

Black Squadron Pilot, Predator, Stealth Device (20) x 3

or you could drop one BSP for Howlrunner with Swarm Tactics.

That would be three PS8 shooters for a slight drop in firepower.

Edited by Englishpete, 29 May 2014 - 08:42 PM.

To every man upon this Earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?
(Horatius: Captain of the Gate)

#28 Klutz

Klutz

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:33 PM

Apex Predator Matador:
Rexler Brath + Predator + HLC +SD
2x BSP + Predator
Backstabber
Because I enjoy sinking 50 points on a small base ship, no other reason.

Yeah, but Defenders really hate having stress.

#29 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:35 PM

Destroyed an ABXY list with RedAlpha version.

#30 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:33 PM

Apex Predators No Swet!
Yorr+Vader
Mauler+ predator
Backstabber
BSP+ predator x2

PS 7,6,4,4,4
An "alpha" strike of 4 with a reroll, 4, 3 with reroll, 3 with reroll, 4 with an autocrit...they could all have focus and 2 of em coulda kturned to do it. Not sure that Yorr is needed but I've see an aweful lot of flechette torps lately and what would you do with the extra 3 pts? Stealth up stabby? Tactician the shuttle?

#31 cubby09

cubby09

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:10 PM

what about:

Bounty hunter

3XBSP+predator

Backstabber

dont have to fly in a swarm. it's, as they say in th eimmortal movie Top Gun, a fur ball

Edited by cubby09, 03 June 2014 - 02:11 PM.

"I can hold it.....no, I'm alrigh......agghhh!" 

-The Death of Porkins

Imperial 1 Tie advanced, 1interceptor, 1 bomber, 1 firespray, 2 Lambda, 7 ties, 2 aces

Rebel 4 x-wings, 2 y-wings, 3 b-wing, 1 HWK, 2 Falcons, 3 A-wing, GR-75

#32 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:07 PM

That's exactly where I think they'll shine... 2-3 at a time seasoned into something.  BH + swarm is always a thing... that there is a really scary BH+ 4 swarm WITH rerolls. 

#33 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 3,346 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:23 PM

I could see taking maybe one, but if I'm going to spend over 16 points on a couple of TIE fighters, I'd rather just have Backstabber, Dark Curse, and Mauler Mithel. It just seems like bad math, no matter which way you slice it.

I'd much rather play something like this:

33 Bounty Hunter x2

16 Backstabber

14 Black Squadron Pilot
3 Outmaneuver

Two Firesprays accompanied by two ships that excel in a flanking role (or roll, for that matter).

Edited by WonderWAAAGH, 03 June 2014 - 03:29 PM.

FFG über alles!

#34 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:46 PM

That sounds fun too.

-Yes Backstabber.  +2ps and an extra dice for 1pt less is hard to beat.  There is a reason he's in most Imperial lists and pretty much every swarm.

-Maybe Mauler.  +3ps and an extra dice at range 1 only for same cost is a toss up.

-Dark Curse?  +2 PS and a defensive ability vs. a reroll to me is a no.

What you're saying is the "swarm" already has so many nice ships that do similar things.  You can now just leave Howlrunner out of the PS swarm and still get your rerolls on all but 2 of the ships... which is about what you were getting before with Howlrunner not being able to use her own ability and the flanker being out of range.  Now you happen to have a Blocker and PS 7,6,4,4,4,1 destroys before shots are fired or are at least simultaneous. 

Mauler + Pred

Backstabber

Black + Pred x3

AP

Again, probably not going to replace the Howlswarm anytime soon... but it could be a moderately competitive subtype. 

#35 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 3,346 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:58 PM

That's not exactly what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that at 2-3 BSPs + Predator, you have better options. I don't think you're properly weighing the value of the named pilots above. When a ship is as fragile as a normal TIE fighter, every point of PS counts, and Dark Curse effectively denies your opponent an action against him. Move last, shoot first, survive longer and throw more red dice. That's the ultimate goal of any list, and the named TIEs do it better. At 4+ BSPs + Predator, you've already lost an entire ship.

Edited by WonderWAAAGH, 03 June 2014 - 04:01 PM.

FFG über alles!

#36 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:15 PM

Oh I'm with you on the named ties... About half of my imperial lists start with Backstabber + NB and 69 other points.  I'm just happy that every now and then when I find myself at 15-18 points left I have another option that could be similarly effective.  As discussed above... the swarm isn't where this is at but we keep trying to change it anyway (because it's largely been unchanged since wave 1). 

A good named tie swarm already had to go down 1 ship, but at least 6 likely shoot first [enough] while most 7-8 swarms lose a ship or 2 before they even get to fire... you're not losing a whole ship, you're just subbing out your usual suspects for something new and surprisingly effective.

I also find 1 BSP + Pred and 1BSP+ wingman to be great flanker and support pieces for interceptors and shuttles and BH's. 

#37 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 3,346 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:27 PM

As for the list I posted above, I would be tempted to replace one of the Bounty Hunters with a Doomshuttle, giving me ten more points to play around with. That would make for one hell of a three-pronged attack.

• Rakky Wistol likes this

FFG über alles!

#38 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:50 PM

As for the list I posted above, I would be tempted to replace one of the Bounty Hunters with a Doomshuttle, giving me ten more points to play around with. That would make for one hell of a three-pronged attack.

Tiger Shark Apex Predators

Shuttle + FCS + Gunner + Vader

BSP + Predatorx2

BSP + Wingman

Backstabber

Just took on Porkins, Tarn, Garvin, Bandit and it came down to Porkins at 2hp vs. a full predator BSP.  BSP killed Porkins with 1 hp left!  Great match.

rnd 1:

Approach...shuttle left bottom approaching first astroid and then boosting past it.  Ties follow.  Xwings slowroll top right.

rnd 2:

x's turn all guns toward swarm.  Stabber slips around an asteroid (no shot but will have stabbieness next round).  Shuttle takes every shot and evades nothing... left with 1 hp after it's all said and done... ouch.  3 BSP's bring tarn down to 1hp.  Shuttle elects to fire at Garven to stress him and crit him with the classic  wiff, , FCS, Gunner, 3 hits... no evades... go ahead and free crit him to kill my own shuttle but Garven is toast.

Rnd 3:

Furball. Porkins takes stabber to one.  Stabber finishes off Garven.  Tarn survives and runs like hell.

Rnd 4:

Positioning.  Porkins finishes off stabber.  BSPs put some damage on Porkins.

Rnd 5: Tarn finally goes down on a long shot.  Porkins vs. 2 BSPs at end.

Rnd 6: Porkins fires first... down to 1:1... takes damage... regens sheild

rnd 7: positioning no shots

Rnd 8: porkins shot only... misses

Rnd 9: porkins hits but only gets 2 in... BSP finishes him off.

I like this list... a lot. I think EU is better than Vader here though. 

Edited by Rakky Wistol, 04 June 2014 - 02:51 PM.

#39 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:45 AM

Tigershark Apex just frenzied all over XXBB. Rolls were a bit lopsided in this one... Rematch to follow.

#40 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:54 PM

Tigershark got taken down by a squid!

Sneaky Ibi list:

Ibi+ jammer + PTL + APT

Biggs

Tala + Concussion

Bandit + Cluster

Bad news for my hipposhuttle bus;  2/3 it has gone down only firing a single shot.  That much pain is going to take anything down though.  Couldn't kill biggs fast enough.  Still came down to Ibi at full vs. 1 uninjured BSP with Pred and one with wingman with 2 hits on it, one of which was the Weapons Malfunction crit.  Was able to use the BSPs to block ibi and reduce shots... a few lucky rolls later (including predator rerolls turning things into 3 hits and then her rolling four hits vs. my 3 green + and evade and walking away!).  Chipped her down to 1hp but when you're only firing 1 red and she gets focuses and rerolls that just wasn't gonna happen.

2-1... must learn to protect the shark... maybe it's more of a whale shark.  Gunner Tactitian is fun though... do love that. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS