Timescape

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:15 PM

Should or shouldn't they make a Timescape expansion for 4th edition?

Do or did you like the 2nd edition expansion?

Have you tried a home brew version?

Vote on whether you liked it or not here:

http://boardgamegeek...nsion-timescape

RoboRally, then Talisman. That's the way it is... ;)

#2 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:16 PM

As for me, I liked it, but it wasn't my favorite. I own it still. I would love to see a 4th edition version. I have not played a homebrew version.

#3 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:49 AM

I don't know if I should have voted or not. I've never played with Timescape in the old days of 2nd edition. I checked the rules and some of the contents in the past; of course the cards would be the most interesting but they are difficult to find on the web.

My dislike is partly due to the WH40k and Sci-Fi setting, which I feel unnecessary, but there are issues with the gameplay as well. The fact that a character could be safe from all Spells in the Timescape, while another character sits on the Crown of Command, seems like a dirty trick to me and a way to prolong a game that would probably have ended soon. The Timescape cards might have a high risk/high reward ratio, but the idea that someone may flee and start a "game in the game" while others are waiting is something that I don't want to see in 4th edition.

But hey, Timescape may be designed in a completely different way, more "multiverse" and less "sci-fi". It will allow introducing many fantasy settings at once instead of devising many expansions, giving alternative ways to win the game withoug dragging it for too long. I don't see any problems with such an idea.

Edited by The_Warlock, 29 May 2014 - 12:53 AM.

#4 Granville

Granville

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 01:35 AM

I will vote for this in a few days.

What I know of it is that it's a separate board not physically connected to the other boards and that it came with Characters based on Warhammer 40K, when the game was largely based on Warhammer Fantasy. Which sounds like cool Sci-Fi/Fantasy crossover that were popular in the 80's, like Spelljammer.

Can you tell me how the mechanics of the thing worked though so I have a better grasp of the whole concept?

While I don't really want to see this game going the sci-fi crossover route, if Timescape offered some kind of cool purpose to be in it, or could easily be re-purposed to to something beneficial, sure why not.

If FFG re-publishes it, even with the Sci-Fi themes still strong it, i'll buy it anyways because I'm a sucker for new content.

#5 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:24 AM

Timescape no way. A fantasy "Astral Realm" definitely (borrowing a space title from timescape). It has to be non sci-fi though.

• Nioreh and sanityismyvanity like this

#6 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:36 AM

We owned it, back in the day; still around in some bin, somewhere. I loved it. My wife, not really.

I would play a 4th ed version, certainly buy it. 

Remember, every expansion is intended to be used with one, some, or all expansions.

As source or related materials, many fantasy novels and series, such as Andre Norton's Witch World series, did have sci fi elements. 'Gates' were used to bring modern Earth people and advanced Alien races, to a medieval, fantasy-based Witch World. In some stories, Witch World folks also journeyed through time and to dystopian type futures. Some of these were from the early '60s, so this meme has co-existed with other fantasy and sci-fi for at least 50 years, and probably longer.

#7 Granville

Granville

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:52 AM

Yes but what did it do.....

....someone tell me what the point was of the timescape.

Im the warrior and somehow I'm on the timescape board. Why? What is my purpose here?

How did it help me win the game?

#8 Nemomon

Nemomon

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 05:49 AM

The Timescape allowed to flee to another dimension in which nothing from the outside affected the character. It had dangerous enemies, more dangerous spaces, and awesome cards to gain.

Short description:

The theme of the `Timescape` could be everything. Important is gameplay - a board in which a player cannot decide where he moves, but he ends his movement on a random and dangerous space and he must encounter it whether he wants that or not. A board in which You can escape to, so for a little while You will be protected from the very bad Ending card (provided that You won't die while lurking in that Region). And a very small deck of cards so the chances of drawing useful cards are much higher (but to happily use them, You must leave that Region alive...).

Of course I want the Timescape back!
  • Granville likes this
Enter the Talisman Island!

#9 Granville

Granville

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:35 AM

So you go there to avoid dangerous things going on on the regular boards and risk encountering things even more dangerous, or better rewards? Cool.

Maybe the board could be cut in half to fit those boardlet spots. Then instead of sci-fi themes, it could just be time travel/portal/realm theme, staying within the realm of fantasy, and leaving guns/lasers/chainswords out of it.

Heh, I still, really cant think of anything good to do with those boardlets except the boring "Extend the outer region." idea.

#10 Nemomon

Nemomon

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:53 AM

The Timescape was even more dangerous than it sounds. For example a player was able to cast Spells only against the cards he drew. Which means he was unable to cast the Healing Spell on himself. Enemies had rather huge attributes (even 12), so they were a nice trophies. At the end of the board there was a huge demon that was giving +2 to an attribute upon killing him. So players were able to gain attributes there very quickly too. Especially that finishing the Timescape took circa 6, 7 turns.
  • Granville likes this

#11 Granville

Granville

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:04 AM

Could a lost at sea board serve the same purpose? Replace demon with Kracken or somesuch?

#12 sanityismyvanity

sanityismyvanity

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:07 AM

Please no.

#13 Zozimus

Zozimus

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:35 PM

I'd love it!  But maybe an upgrade away from the Warhammer 40K model.  There are lots of "Constructs" in the Dungeon, for example:  it might be cool to have a clockwork/steampunk kind of dimension as the new version of the Timescape!

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play. - Heraclitus

#14 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 05:27 PM

I love Sci-fi, but I am quite ignorant and uninterested in Warhammer 40K.

Yes, there were issues with Timescape, but in general I don't remember anyone in my group hiding in Timescape when someone was on the CoC. We used it to get cool stuff especially the anti-grav platform because it could go in the dungeon and anywhere! We lusted after the power gloves and a couple other awesome items.

As for movement for those who don't know it, you rolled a dice, and the dice was compared to a chart, and you would follow colored lines based on the die roll.

• adjogi likes this

#15 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:19 AM

Red 1-2, Blue 3-4 & Green 5-6

#16 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:09 AM

I wouldn't say no to an "Aetherscape" that has a bit of a steampunk vibe, possibly weapons and mechanical things that require fuel tokens or similar. That would be the limit of technology I would like to see, but that sort of environment also opens the region up to Elder Gods and the like.

• Nemomon and 0beron like this
Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#17 Nemomon

Nemomon

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:38 AM

But the most important part about the Timescape was that the cards never stayed on the board. At the end of turn they were discarded. Which means one could always draw cards from it instead of trying to fight ugly monsters that others left behind.

#18 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:18 AM

Not sure I would like a Steampunk theme!

• Granville likes this

#19 Nemomon

Nemomon

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:56 AM

Why? We already do have some clockwork objects, and even one Tinkerer.
  • talismanisland likes this

#20 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:00 AM

Steampunk is ok with me, I kinda like it, but would rather stick to the original theme. Other ideas are always good in ADDITION to Timescape...

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS