Photo

What do you hope for with future expansions?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 chemical22

chemical22

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:01 PM

Just a general conversation about this.  Where should FF take future expansions and what should they avoid?

I personally would like to see expansions continue to release new endings and characters.   I'd love to continue to see small additions to the board whether they are spaced between the corner boards, exist separately or are built up from the middle.  Of course each expansion should add new cards to the decks.

What I would not like to see, is additional mechanics to the game.   With a few of the expansions, game play has become marginally or more complicated.  The complications pile up as expansions are added.

As for themes?   I don't have a preference, I am happy with any direction that is taken.

What do you think?

#2 Nemomon

Nemomon

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:27 PM

I want the Timescape expansion!

And actually I would want to see a more complicated mechanics. The Talisman is not always meant to be played as a whole. The Firelands expansion is a great example for that - it is much better if played only with one more small expansion. I would love if the Talisman would turn to a real strategy game instead of "draw a card and read it" game.

I would love if the future expansions would add cards that would allow to create interesting combos. The game is more fun and enjoyable if the characters barely can win. Because the other characters really can hurt them much. Block their key abilities, attack them and kill them regardless of their lives left, or cast super powerful Spells that could change the flow the game. "You're at the Pit Fiends space, You think You won, and I block Your Talisman and You cannot enter the VoF." Or You're at the CoC, You think winning the game is a piece of cake now, and I change the Ending card to the HBV and You're gone. Once or twice You will lose the game a turn before winning it, and You will start playing strategically - You won't enter the Inner without having at least 2 Talismans and/or Counterspell.

I would love to see more dangerous enemies. Perhaps in another board. A board that You will enter only if You're going to win the game or You were forced to enter the middle of it by some cards or a malicious player, and a board in which You will hope to end Your movement on a "non-draw a card" spaces. The board exist and most likely will kill everybody who will enter it. But its deck has almighty cards, so players may want to try to enter it for a little while and hope they will die after drawing at least one of them.

I would really love to see the Wizard himself. The one who created the Crown of Command and some other artifacts, the one who was forced to leave us and enter some other outer dimensions to continue his fight with unknown, and who back to us just to die here and leave his precious item to the next "wizard".

Enter the Talisman Island!

#3 chemical22

chemical22

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:43 PM

I like your ideas.

I have to say, however, that what appeals to me is the luck factor on Talisman.  It's a casual game, there are already plenty of heavy strategy games out there on the market.  For me, this is a game where you open a couple beers and have fun playing. It's not overly competitive (although I suppose it depends on your group).

I also want to use ALL the expansions... that's just how I am, the more-the better :)  I don't play more than once or twice a month, so when I do, I want to use what I have.

I would love to see them put stronger creatures in the decks.  Nothing wrong with a dozen Strength/Craft 20+'s in there to challenge you.  I'd also like them to work on a few balancing factors to keep super-characters a bit afraid still.  It would help make games more exciting.

#4 Nemomon

Nemomon

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:57 PM

I like your ideas.

I have to say, however, that what appeals to me is the luck factor on Talisman.  It's a casual game, there are already plenty of heavy strategy games out there on the market.  For me, this is a game where you open a couple beers and have fun playing. It's not overly competitive (although I suppose it depends on your group).

I also want to use ALL the expansions... that's just how I am, the more-the better :)  I don't play more than once or twice a month, so when I do, I want to use what I have.

I would love to see them put stronger creatures in the decks.  Nothing wrong with a dozen Strength/Craft 20+'s in there to challenge you.  I'd also like them to work on a few balancing factors to keep super-characters a bit afraid still.  It would help make games more exciting.

The things I mentioned earlier (except the Wizard) already are added to my version of the game (it's called "Small MiM"), so they're well tested. Through ~20 years already. But we don't use all the expansions. The board expansions we use are the Dungeon (that super hard board), and the Timescape.

I don't mind Enemies with attributes 20+ either. A character already can be killed by a slimy toad or by a wild boar. It doen't matter how srong the enemy is; if a player has to lose a life, he will lose it anyway whether he fights a lion or an eternal god. But if the eternal gods are added to the Talisman, we for sure will feel that there are beings much stronger than we are, and that winning the game not always has to be possible or reachable (characters after all are a mere humans).

Enter the Talisman Island!

#5 chemical22

chemical22

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:06 PM

I don't mind Enemies with attributes 20+ either. A character already can be killed by a slimy toad or by a wild boar. It doen't matter how srong the enemy is; if a player has to lose a life, he will lose it anyway whether he fights a lion or an eternal god. But if the eternal gods are added to the Talisman, we for sure will feel that there are beings much stronger than we are, and that winning the game not always has to be possible or reachable (characters after all are a mere humans).

Agreed.  It'd be interesting to add some godly creatures that grant huge rewards.   Like creatures with 30 or 40+ attributes.  You're right - at the end of the day, you're going to lose a life if you land on a desert space without a water bottle or if you get kicked in the face by a god. :)

Edit:  It may also be interesting to create other win-factors than just racing to the center of the board.  You could still make them alternative endings, but they void the dash to the middle.

Maybe even make them quicker game scenarios (Eg:  Do not cash in Trophies, instead, the first character to reach 100 points in trophies wins  OR  The first person to cause 10 points of character damage, wins).

Edited by chemical22, 26 May 2014 - 03:14 PM.

#6 Czev

Czev

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:50 PM

Oberon hopes for water.

Yes ladies and gents, I really am highly concentrated WTF!!!!!!

#7 Granville

Granville

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:54 PM

Promo cards (Danse Macbre and Generic Crown of Command Endings, Doppleganger, Instructor) included in a box.

Mephesto characters translated, given a card and a figure.

"Boardlets" for the side of the board as the space is already more or less taken up by the expansions.

****Blender cards****; Cards that make the various 11 expansion we have mesh together even better, or meta for some of the more annoying effects. (Dragon tokens, Terrain cards, more counter spell cards)

Without adding new game mechanics like Burn, more or less any card effect you can think of has been produced and even repeated. The one thing I really like about the last 3 expansions is the variety on monsters has been more diverse. Instead of a lineup of strength 1 monster with new artwork, you have stuff like the Ifrit these new Fae guys and even look at that, a Bear (animal) with Craft.

More characters. Maybe even a box just for new characters similar to what they are doing with Descent. 2.0

Maybe a character that manipulates monsters on the table similar to the Devil's Minion from Mephesto.

Updated FAQ.

The Sea/Ocean/Maelstrom would be really cool. But I dunno if I want to see that board get any bigger, and if it bordered the Highlands and Dungeon it would be kind of a bizarre fit.

Timescape I have never seen or played, as I just got into this game not too long ago, but the vets seem to really love it, so why not. FFG could make an expansion called The Dung Expansion and I would probably buy it.

• DomaGB likes this

#8 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:31 PM

Yes, more characters & more alternate endings!

And not all vets like Timescape, in fact I would say less than half of us do. I should make a poll and find out...

But I like Timescape, tho it wasn't my favorite, but a friend of mine says its his.

I want a smaller board! A master set with all new boards, smaller. That is with all the 4 corner boards included, smaller. Or it could be 1 board with them attached as part of the board.

More gold tokens also would be nice. Tho we use dice...

Edited by DomaGB, 27 May 2014 - 10:31 PM.

• Granville likes this

RoboRally, then Talisman. That's the way it is... ;)

#9 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 736 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:09 AM

Oberon hopes for water.

I live in Michigan, which is surrounded by lots of water, but at any rate, I don't want to sound disingenuous but I mostly run my ocean ideas because I know others are interested in the topic. 

I actually would much prefer a Timescape or something to do with 'extra'- dimensions.

But I'm a visual thinker so I can't help but SEE some ideas as they might appear in real life.

I talked about it with my co-playing wife and we both agree that we just don't have the table / size / board or overlay to do this.  (however, we might get a ping pong table for the basement eventually and we could use that large surface...)

#10 Czev

Czev

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:45 PM

Oberon hopes for water.

I live in Michigan, which is surrounded by lots of water, but at any rate, I don't want to sound disingenuous but I mostly run my ocean ideas because I know others are interested in the topic. 

I actually would much prefer a Timescape or something to do with 'extra'- dimensions.

But I'm a visual thinker so I can't help but SEE some ideas as they might appear in real life.

I talked about it with my co-playing wife and we both agree that we just don't have the table / size / board or overlay to do this.  (however, we might get a ping pong table for the basement eventually and we could use that large surface...)

I'm in Buffalo man, hi neighbor.

I never really cared for Timescape.  Guess for the fantasy lover in me there's also a realist. Let's face it, a space marine in power armor with a bolter and a chain sword vs an elf with a bow?  Never could cope with the mismatch.

I do like the Idea of Interchangable corner expansions tho.  Exchange the city for a ruined city loaded with undead and a litch....or a dracolitch.......Things like that.

Not really sure how a Nautical board would play out.  The biggest obstacle is encounters and manuvering.  Say you were to try something like this, do you need a boat to manuver?  If you need a boat to manuver and you lose a fight with a Leviathan, does your boat get destroyed and you sink to the bottom and die instantly?  How does one encounter another player?  Unfortunately from a logistical standpoint there are so many problems.  I'm not trying to kill the idea, as it could turn out to be quite interesting but there are some unusual obsticals.....

• 0beron likes this

#11 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:41 PM

Interchangable corner expansions sound really cool, I especially like the idea of a destroyed city!

RoboRally, then Talisman. That's the way it is... ;)

#12 Granville

Granville

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:09 AM

I thought of one gimmicky item I would like to see.

Forgive me for the lack of a better term but a weapon or artifact that comes in three pieces.

1 adventure card for each piece, for the regular deck.

1 piece, + 1 strength item.

2 pieces , something better.

3 pieces, huge dramatic effect, close to an I win button. (teleport to any space in your region every turn comes to mind)

#13 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 736 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:29 AM

Oberon hopes for water.

I never really cared for Timescape.  Guess for the fantasy lover in me there's also a realist. Let's face it, a space marine in power armor with a bolter and a chain sword vs an elf with a bow?  Never could cope with the mismatch.

I do like the Idea of Interchangable corner expansions tho.  Exchange the city for a ruined city loaded with undead and a litch....or a dracolitch.......Things like that.

Not really sure how a Nautical board would play out.  The biggest obstacle is encounters and manuvering.  Say you were to try something like this, do you need a boat to manuver?  If you need a boat to manuver and you lose a fight with a Leviathan, does your boat get destroyed and you sink to the bottom and die instantly?  How does one encounter another player?  Unfortunately from a logistical standpoint there are so many problems.  I'm not trying to kill the idea, as it could turn out to be quite interesting but there are some unusual obsticals.....

Hello Buffalo person! Yes, I actually agree more with you than not, on the matter of the ocean; its just too large and daunting to do as added on to all the other boards.

And I wouldn't favor it being a board to exchange for one of the others. I want all aspects of official Talisman to be playable at once, as FFG does indeed intend them - so far.

And so it is with Timescape. The powers that be would only bring it back if it balanced much, much more with the fantasy aspects.  So if the Timescape could be reinvented as a more mystic portal to 'other realites' and not very tech based.

Think Aboriginal cultures of Africa, Australia, Asia, etc. The honorable (or not so much) heroes, heroines, warriors, shamans/magic users of Ancient Japan, Egypt, Africa, Russia/Siberia,  - - how about an Australian Aboriginal that uses Dreamtime?

These mystic type worlds would balance easier than the techy stuff, for the most people.  I love the mysticism of the Middle East - what I know of it. So the Firelands does an okay job of making it accessible for more Western audiences. 

• Granville and Czev like this

#14 Czev

Czev

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:59 PM

Oberon hopes for water.

Hello Buffalo person! Yes, I actually agree more with you than not, on the matter of the ocean; its just too large and daunting to do as added on to all the other boards.

And I wouldn't favor it being a board to exchange for one of the others. I want all aspects of official Talisman to be playable at once, as FFG does indeed intend them - so far.

And so it is with Timescape. The powers that be would only bring it back if it balanced much, much more with the fantasy aspects.  So if the Timescape could be reinvented as a more mystic portal to 'other realites' and not very tech based.

Think Aboriginal cultures of Africa, Australia, Asia, etc. The honorable (or not so much) heroes, heroines, warriors, shamans/magic users of Ancient Japan, Egypt, Africa, Russia/Siberia,  - - how about an Australian Aboriginal that uses Dreamtime?

These mystic type worlds would balance easier than the techy stuff, for the most people.  I love the mysticism of the Middle East - what I know of it. So the Firelands does an okay job of making it accessible for more Western audiences. 

Here's a thought, something of a technomancy feel.  A little Steampunk meets Gothic Horror meets a little Shadowrun. Could make for a far more interesting Timescape expansion.  More useful as well.

#15 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 736 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:06 AM

I'm somewhat unknowledge.... make that un-nuanced, over steampunk. I get the general contours. Not against it, per se, just need to see actual ideas or visuals to understand.

But Talisman is an extremely flexible game, in most respects, so really many things can be fitted in. Even a Timescape more like the 2nd ED one. If you don't like it you don't have to buy it or play it, much like the Dragon to some players.

Of course anything that adds to or expands the horror themes of Blood Moon would be very welcome.

I think it was Jon/Talisman Island, or someone else who brought up the idea of expansions to the expansions.

So your idea could be an expansion or 'resonates well to' / for The Blood Moon.

In a similar way, there are other folk tales, myth-structures that also used the Enchanted World of the Fae, Fairies, Elfs, etc, so there's no reason that Oberon and Titania's Woodland couldn't be invaded by Norse Elves, or somesuch.

A small/POD/expansion with Asian themes could utilize Dragons, obviously, and possibly, thereby, resolve or 'lube' the mechanics of the Dragon expansion.

**** For what its worth, I do believe that FFG/designers have been listening to us, if for no other reason, then to see how similar our thoughts or ideas are, to their own. Some time ago I did post an idea about Dark/Light fate with the concept of a threshold being triggered by more of one than the other. I believe other's ideas are also similar to what we know about Woodland. So I'm just saying that as fans, we may give some inspiration or ideas to the developers.

#16 raphaman

raphaman

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:20 AM

Hello,

According to me, it would be:
-new characters
-new adventure cards, spell cards, item cards, ending cards...
-new mechanic

But I would really enjoy that FFG lets us create cards, and vote for them.
Let me explain. We create cards thanks to strange eons, and we send them to FFG (let's say maximum 10 adventure cards, 3 characters, 1 alternative ending card etc.). FFG chooses a certain number of each type of cards. Then FFG will post all of these cards on the site, and everybody would be able to vote for a maximum of 50 adventure cards, 5 characters... (all the numbers I used and will use are just examples). The cards with the more votes would be used to create a new expansion (like 80 adventure cards, 4 characters, 10 spells...)

I hope you understand my idea, and I would really like it to happen, but I'm pretty sure it is impossible.

Have a great day
Raphaman
  • 0beron likes this

#17 sanityismyvanity

sanityismyvanity

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:01 AM

**** For what its worth, I do believe that FFG/designers have been listening to us, if for no other reason, then to see how similar our thoughts or ideas are, to their own. Some time ago I did post an idea about Dark/Light fate with the concept of a threshold being triggered by more of one than the other. I believe other's ideas are also similar to what we know about Woodland. So I'm just saying that as fans, we may give some inspiration or ideas to the developers.

I have to admit that my own prediction for the Woodlands was much more in the ballpark than I ever anticipated.

http://community.fan...sion/?p=1004701

• FFGbailey likes this

#18 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 736 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:13 AM

oH My GoRSh!   You were uncannily right on is almost every way (so far).

You sure you're not one of the FFG folks punkin' us?

I recall reading it back in March, but obviously forgot what you said, when the first preview rolled out. WOW.

Please give us more predictions, if you can.

My own, are that in the next week or so (after this Friday) we may get another preview, but that is based on how often the news seems to roll out.

I'd like to think there are still some interesting surprises coming in the Woodland.

• sanityismyvanity likes this

#19 sanityismyvanity

sanityismyvanity

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:27 AM

No, I have no inside info whatsoever. I wish though!

Luckily my prediction for a release date was quite incorrect :)

I'm certain when I made my prediction, based on the timing, that the development cycle was for Woodlands was already done. I must have inadvertently channeled my inner Sam Bailey. Oh, and look who just liked my post :D .

• 0beron and FFGbailey like this

#20 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 736 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:56 AM

I'm sure you're right about the timing, etc.   In my mind, I'm half inclined to think that maybe many of the expansions, the boards for sure, were designed or concepted, at the beginning.

So remaining so spoiler free about all this, for some years now, is pretty interesting, if I'm right.

Light/Dark Fate was in the very first set. I'm sure they must have had their ideas, or certainly soon after wards.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS