Starter Box

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 xodarap

xodarap

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:58 PM

ANR did not have 3 of every card. Not even close. You needed 2 sets to play on any serious level and the competitive player they have to buy 3 sets for the few (I think it is like 12 cards or something) that only came in singles.

Like no self respecting competitive criminal player only has 1 Desperado!

The thing is that CORE sets usually have great cards in them that last for the entire run of the game, I think this is due ot not having a full idea of the form of the game yet. So some cards that in latter sets would have trait restrictions or something do not in core.. so they are mega good for a lot of decks.

This means that in the early stages of the LCG it is a huge advantage to have access in triplicate while the card pool is small. Still over time as new cards come out the advantage of having 3 Desperados' instead of 2 Desperados gets smaller and smaller. Specially if there is powercreep on a core set card and it is replaced.

Still, in those early days in competitive play, having 3 of those ubr powerful unique cards can make your deck shine vs others using less sets.

For me personally, of course I would prefer to buy 1 or maybe 2 sets. Still the truth is I will get how ever many cores I need to get a full set of 3 of every card.

Wow Desperado was one of the one only cards?  Like I've said, sorry, I was wrong.  (An' if one of those cards was Desperado-REAL wrong....)  Yet I'll stand by what I've said, it's a LOT better than the other models.

Do you feel that NetRunner is worth what you've paid for it even though you've bought three cores?  The way I see it, three cores is $90.  Still less than a box of well, anything.  From that you have at least three and in many, many, cases a lot more copies of every card and can easily build a good deck for each of the seven factions.  That's about $12.75 per deck, about the same as a starter deck but made with ALL of the best cards in the game, not just one or two.  Totally worth it in my opinion. (Still.) 

Am I a fool for thinking I could go to FGGs OWN website and praise their courage and maybe show some appreciation withOUT being contradicted?   Yes, Yes I am.

"Hastur. Hastur. Hastur. Suck it, my girlfriend is Science!"
-Will Wheaton-

#22 smeehee

smeehee

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:41 AM

LCG's are way better value than CCG's/TCG's and I acknowledge that having a play-set of every card is impractical for a core set but that doesn't change the fact that I dislike needing to buy 3 core sets to build a competitive deck.

It cant be that hard to simply sell a pack that contains all the cards missing from the core set  

#23 Jvirtue55

Jvirtue55

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:56 PM

Have they announced how many core boxes you will need for play sets?

#24 borwol

borwol

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:42 PM

3 but they didn't annouce that officialy.

#25 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:32 AM

LCGs are better than TCGs.. no question. We as players are like a girl that gets beaten by her boyfriend, finally dump him and now have a new boyfriend that only hits us, but doesn't put us in hospital. While the CCG price model is really expensive.. guess what.. the LCG model is also EXTREMELY expensive.. just not in relation to the TCG one.

Most players "subscribe" to the game and buy every pack that comes out. Even though the games are marketed as "buy what you like from the card pool". The truth is that it is not like this. FFG loads the LCGs with tons of factions.. this is not just to make the game cool.. it is a calculated choice to force pack buying.

If for example you want to make a awesome Call of Cthulhu deck you will find that any net deck you look at or any deck you build from a deck builder looking at the full pool will have all these cards you do not own. That is fine you say, LCG model! I know what cards are in what packs.. I can just buy those packs. But guess what.. having tons of factions means that each pack has like 2 cards in it per faction.. maybe 3 if you're lucky. So to get all the cards you are looking for you need to buy tons and tons of packs.

Again, not a scratch on the cost of a TCG, but your still looking at 1-200 bucks for a single deck of your choice... in a competitive sense.. and the longer the game is out, the more dispersed the cards are across a ton of packs.

Wow Desperado was one of the one only cards?

Yes, it and other powerful cards were only 1 copy.
  • Gridash likes this
"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#26 borwol

borwol

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:52 AM

my friends ordered 3 core sets for seven people- one faction for each. Solves that boooring problem from above.

#27 PsiLAN

PsiLAN

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:03 AM

my friends ordered 3 core sets for seven people- one faction for each. Solves that boooring problem from above.

So, you'll have 3*copies of the 7 factions, one for each player. And 3*copies of the neutral cards...

#28 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:58 AM

So, you'll have 3*copies of the 7 factions, one for each player. And 3*copies of the neutral cards...

6 of the neutral, remember each core set is designed to build two starter decks from them. 

#29 borwol

borwol

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:48 PM

Yes. And I will give them seventh set of neutrals- one from my own 3 sore sets.
  • Toqtamish likes this

#30 BuzzsawMF

BuzzsawMF

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:39 PM

I kind of agree with the "Holy **** LCG's cost alot" I play Game of Thrones alot and I have sank a ton of money into the game, but since I did not get in on the ground level, I am still way behind in cards. 

That is part of the reason I am so excited about this game. Not only is it a great theme and genre but also, I am getting in on a game in its infancy. So every time I get a new warpack, I will have all of the cards. 

#31 borwol

borwol

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:02 AM

http://connorissteel...e-ine-313514838 where is chaos?

#32 klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:09 AM

Now, *that* is blasphemous even by Chaos standards...

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS