Some rules questions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Alistan

Alistan

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:53 AM

Hi guys. Just received my copy of the game several days ago. After my first playthrough I've got several questions.

1. Manual says "When a Gate is spawned, a Monster is spawned on the same space". But there are monsters with green icons about which it is written "If the Monster has the spawn icon, look at the back of the Monster token and resolve its effect immediately after spawning it". So when I spawn gates and took a monster with green icon should I place it on the gate or move him where it says me to?

2. Some conditions like "Amnesia" have a text on them saying that during Rest action player can roll one dice and if he scores 5 or 6 that condition can be discarded. What if the player have two or more such conditions? Like "Amnesia" and "Paranoia". What should he do when resting? Roll dice twice, roll once but apply result to both conditions, roll only once and apply to only one of them?

3. Musician chararcter has an ability that says "Investigators on your space roll 1 additional die when resolving tests during Combat Encounters". Does it apply to the musician himself?

#2 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:07 AM

1 yes you should to spawn minter ti his place if he has the spawn effect.

2 Yes you roll 1 die for each condition separately 

3 yes include Jim Culiver as well

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#3 Alistan

Alistan

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:32 PM

Thanks!

#4 Alistan

Alistan

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:41 AM

Hi,

Played another game against Cthulhu. Got another question.

There is "Queen of the Deep" mystery card that spawns Hydra (added in expansion). On the back of the Hydra there is a text "This Epic Monster cannot lose Health unless the active investigator has the Sword of Y'ha-Talla Artifact".

Does it mean that during the battle I should use bonuses only from the Sword? Or the presense of the Sword in my investigator's inventory is enough and I could take Strength bonuses from some "Double barreled shotgun" during battle instead?

Logically I should kill it with the Sword because why do I need it otherwise? But I am confused with the wording. "has the Sword" not the same as "kill with the Sword".

#5 ricedwlit

ricedwlit

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:54 AM

My vote is that the presence of the sword is enough, otherwise they would have worded things differently.

I believe that goal here was to make solving the mystery really require two steps: find an artifact and then kill Hydra. This makes this mystery different from the one for Yog-Sothoth that spawns the Dunwich Horror - both monsters have similar stats, but Hydra requires you the artifact whereas the Dunwich Horror has a reckoning effect that spawns gates.  

Personally, I'm glad they tossed in this twist (though I hate having to go find an artifact) since it blocks one strategy I had for dealing with Epic Monsters: in addition to sending investigator(s) to directly confront the monster, also send one or more investigators to Tokyo and commence "Death of a thousand remote cuts"

#6 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:32 AM

+1, as Ricedwlit: the wording seems to imply that you need the possession of the sword (thematically, you could see it as if the sword's holy power gives you the energies enough to strike)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#7 Husker949

Husker949

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:51 AM

That's how we have played it, seems to be enough and it makes my players happy so...

#8 Knightrain88

Knightrain88

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:14 AM

Having read this thread, all I can see is Harry Dresden with the Sword of Y'ha-Talla in one hand and a Shotgun in the other screaming, "Bring it on!!"

Then he gets the snot kicked out of him.

"I've a great respect for brains.  I rather wish I had some, myself."

- Lord Tolloller, Iolanthe -

#9 xodarap

xodarap

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:00 AM

My vote is that the presence of the sword is enough, otherwise they would have worded things differently.

I believe that goal here was to make solving the mystery really require two steps: find an artifact and then kill Hydra. This makes this mystery different from the one for Yog-Sothoth that spawns the Dunwich Horror - both monsters have similar stats, but Hydra requires you the artifact whereas the Dunwich Horror has a reckoning effect that spawns gates.  

Personally, I'm glad they tossed in this twist (though I hate having to go find an artifact) since it blocks one strategy I had for dealing with Epic Monsters: in addition to sending investigator(s) to directly confront the monster, also send one or more investigators to Tokyo and commence "Death of a thousand remote cuts"

"Hastur. Hastur. Hastur. Suck it, my girlfriend is Science!"
-Will Wheaton-

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS