Rogue Trader Fashion

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Magellan

Magellan

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 04:56 PM

Nobody wants to listen to you talk about your character - except in this thread, that's exactly what we're going to do. Everyone's seen Sarvus Trask and his coat of bling (and probably noticed that all the other Rogue Trader captains in the art have pretty much copied his design), but it's a galaxy of choices out there, and Rogue Trader is probably the best system out there for exploring the cultural variations of the 40k galaxy.

How do you dress your Rogue Traders? What sort of styles do you like to evoke? How much work do you put into character design?

The Magos says he has no crude emotions to control

Just an iron fist, an iron will and an iron-banded soul

#2 Chaki

Chaki

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:57 PM

Well, Darrius Wolf prefers his old commissar coat and cap (you just can't best this hat). At the moment, he has no need to add anything to that, so its quite plain. He does have a "gala uniform" which consists of a coat of the same making, but with all his medals straddled upon (he likes to stress that none of these medals are honorably given, they are for proper combat action).

There really isn't much to add to the regalia, though he does consider getting himself some hexagrammic wards in the armor he wears beneath but at the moment, practical light carapace armor suffices.

#3 Marwynn

Marwynn

• Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:31 PM

Not a fan of pirate-chic.

Anton Strom is a pragmatic man and dresses as he's expected to as a former Navy captain. Battlefleet Koronus p.68 has this uniform. The outer, sleeveless jacket is white, the shirt underneath is dark blue, and the boots and gloves are dark green: the colours of the Strom dynasty. His power sword is on one hip, and his ancient laspistol is on the other.

But he's more than just a former Navy captain, he's a Rogue Trader. A plasma pistol is strapped to his back--it prevents him from leaning back in his command throne as well. Lion-headed pauldrons, silver, rests on his shoulders and a short cape is attached to them.

The cape has been recently replaced with a fine white skin from a xenos predator that he killed himself.  The other officers wear the same thing, sans pauldrons and cape. The uniform is void proof for up to an hour, though the hidden hood must be quickly pulled up. Anton's uniform is unique in that it has some rigid components and the hood is self-sealing. It's only for emergencies, but he is the Warrant Holder so the expense seems justified (to him).

He has let his hair grow as well but remains clean shaven. There are no medals on the uniform, the only decorations are rank insignia and other badges of identification. His belt buckle has been known to pulse odd colours from time to time.

The Gathering Strom  - A Chronicle of Intrigue, Space Battles, Planetary Invasions, and Dinner Parties

The Blessed Enterprise - Flagship of the Strom Dynasty / Reception Hall

#4 Ezrekiel

Ezrekiel

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:01 PM

Valgaard Zorn wears a classical Tricorne of humble size adorned with a single blue and yellow bird feather. His chainmal greatcoat is worn open and hung with a mix of bones and trophies, some of which would be fitting for a moderately successful barbarian chieftain, while others would not look out of place on a crazy backwater shaman.

Below the greatcoat he wears a threadbare navy shirt and a kilt, which regularly seems to irritate his guests although that might have something to do with the fact that said kilt occasionally fails to protect his modesty.

His combat boots are very bulky and look a bit ungainly on him, but they offer enough space for whatever pistol holster he chooses to wear on that day.

In short, he takes great care to never, ever give the impression of a shrewd negotiator or a cunning backstabber - the natives of whatever planet he just visits will find that out soon enough anyway so why give them any early clues about it ?

#5 Chaplain

Chaplain

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:04 PM

I prefere conquistador style, since RT is more of conquistador rather than pirate or navy officer from my POV.
I am the man who arranges the blocks

#6 Magellan

Magellan

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:08 AM

I've made a number of Rogue Trader characters over the years, myself, and I usually take care to give them their own solar system of origin, with an accompanying culture and fashion. Most of the time, I take my own ignorant prejudices of an Earth culture I know nothing about, then 40k-ify them for maximum gaudiness. For example, my longest-used character:

Magellan Galba is a nobleman from a vast dynasty of career criminals, whose main stronghold is on the planet Salmonella III, or Space Siciliy. Pretty much everyone on the planet is either a vintner, a mafioso, or both. Everyone has a mono-switchblade on them at all times, and anyone who can afford it wears a double-breasted suit. Magellan himself wears one too (with skulls for buttons and cufflinks, of course) with a tie bearing the mark of his house. Over the suit, he has a network of belts and slings that hold a large number of cigars and concealed weapons. Over *those*, he wears a massive fur coat.

He is surrounded by a perpetual cloud of cigar smoke (lho smoke, if you wanna be anal about it), and is rarely found more than six feet away from a glass of wine.

#7 htsmithium

htsmithium

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:13 AM

Somehow my guy always ends up looking like the head vampire from underworld.

• Marwynn likes this

ding dong mala mortuus est,

quem veteres strigam

impii strigam

ding dong impiorum strigam mortuus est.

#8 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:33 AM

After one-too-many Eldar assassination attempts (one is too many), my campaign's Rogue Trader spends 90% of his time in his exquisitely worked Power Armour. He does however have an extensive collection of wigs and hats to make up for the fact that given the number of explosions that have gone off in his immediate vicinity that all his natural hair keeps getting burned off.

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#9 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:30 PM

There's countless ways a Rogue Trader may dress, and I like almost every single suggestion mentioned in this thread. It is always a question of both the character's homeworld as well as their professional background. Pirates, Conquistadors, Navy officers, I like 'em all! :)

In the past couple months I've dug a bit deeper into StarCraft, and found that it has a visual style which may, in some aspects, feel deliciously 40k, even though it is its own look in that it's kind of a blend between 40k and Aliens. But the uniforms of military officers and nobility in that setting are something you could easily transplant into a Rogue Trader game at any time.

Lagdamen_SC-GA1_Comic1.jpg

0.jpg

Yup. I think they are just oozing style. ;)

current 40k RPG character: Aura Vashaan, Astromancer Witch-Priestess
previous characters: Captain Elias (Celestial Lions Chapter), Comrade-Trooper Dasha Malenko (1207th Valhallan Ice Warriors), Sister Elana (Order of the Sacred Rose), Leftenant Darion Baylesworth (Rogue Trader Artemisia)

#10 Sebastian Yorke

Sebastian Yorke

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:57 PM

The group's female RT uses this image:

steampunk-tarot-page-of-swords.jpg

Steampunk/Cyberpunk images from the google images usually help me a lot.

Edit:
http://www.pinterest...eampunk-pirate/

Edited by Sebastian Yorke, 26 May 2014 - 01:18 PM.

• Tenebrae, Lynata and Fgdsfg like this

RT Wannabe Shipwright & Frustrated GM

#11 Magellan

Magellan

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:30 PM

I actually started work on a picture of the character I mentioned up there, as well.

Spoiler

• Lynata and RogalDorn01 like this

#12 MorioMortis

MorioMortis

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:01 PM

My rogue traders have either followed the clean-cut style, with Navy or other military style dress uniforms (sometimes adorned with accessories, including, but not limited to, the biggest spaulders reasonably wearable without integrated suspensors), and the full-on eclectic, including one who managed to obtain a Harlequin Holosuit, another who insists on going bare chested everywhere (he used to go out naked, but an incident with the Sisters of His Endless Misericorde made him somewhat more prudish in public), and one who always tries to dress as inappropriately as possible to any meeting, to destabilize his opponents.

However, what they all have in common is an obsession for having the best, most impressive headgear possible. You see, in my version of the 40k universe, it is a long standing tradition among Rogue Traders, first begun by the Emperor himself, that order of precedence between otherwise equal rivals be bestowed based on the impressiveness of their respective hats, as judged by all warrant bearers in assistance. This of course means that a veritable fashion arms race exists among the Rogue Trader community, and hats including anything from Tyrannid skulls and Eldar soulstones, all the way to integrated weaponry and suspensors to help carry the weight, have been seen. Current contenders for the most impressive hats include Lord Derrick Von Marsten with his self-repairing necrodermis and wraithbone tricorne with integrated force field and a hidden extensible handle to use the entire thing as a power axe, and his arch nemesis Lord Samuel Godwine, whose hat is a replica of the legendary battleship Dominus Astra, and comes with a full complement of digi-lasers for the lance batteries and a miniature bolter in place of the nova cannon, and an integrated grappling hook gun behind the ramming prow. Of course, Ork Freebooter Kaptins were quick to join in the fun, with the Ork's preference for large and loud objects leading to truly grotesque hats.

The stupid must be bashed upon the head with the Mallet of Wisdom until their heads are inflated with knowledge.

Words to live (and die) by : "I have officially Been out-rogue tradered!  As always, one must always assume that no matter how grand your plan is, it's never enough!" - RogalDorn1

#13 WeedyGrot

WeedyGrot

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:09 PM

However, what they all have in common is an obsession for having the best, most impressive headgear possible. You see, in my version of the 40k universe, it is a long standing tradition among Rogue Traders, first begun by the Emperor himself, that order of precedence between otherwise equal rivals be bestowed based on the impressiveness of their respective hats, as judged by all warrant bearers in assistance.

This seems like something from the Girl Genius comics where the Jagers put a lot of stock in who has the best hat and having your hat stolen is quite a drop in status.

It also is responsible for this: http://img1.wikia.no...ificent-hat.png

• Tenebrae likes this

#14 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:59 PM

Really? I immediate recognised /tg/'s take on the Imperium's hierarchy there:

Helmet < No helmet < Hat < Pauldron + Helmet < Just Pauldron < Pauldron + Hat

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Hats

:lol:

... of course, this means MorioMortis' Rogue Trader also requires large pauldrons.

Edited by Lynata, 26 May 2014 - 08:00 PM.

current 40k RPG character: Aura Vashaan, Astromancer Witch-Priestess
previous characters: Captain Elias (Celestial Lions Chapter), Comrade-Trooper Dasha Malenko (1207th Valhallan Ice Warriors), Sister Elana (Order of the Sacred Rose), Leftenant Darion Baylesworth (Rogue Trader Artemisia)

#15 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:46 PM

Really? I immediate recognised /tg/'s take on the Imperium's hierarchy there:

Helmet < No helmet < Hat < Pauldron + Helmet < Just Pauldron < Pauldron + Hat

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Hats

:lol:

... of course, this means MorioMortis' Rogue Trader also requires large pauldrons.

Don't forget that Purity Seals are the accessory that go with anything.

• Lynata likes this

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#16 Marwynn

Marwynn

• Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:02 AM

I should buy a hat. Also, my pauldrons are normal-sized. I feel as if I've failed at Rogue Tradering.

Edited by Marwynn, 27 May 2014 - 06:49 AM.

• Lynata, Sebastian Yorke, Chaki and 1 other like this

The Gathering Strom  - A Chronicle of Intrigue, Space Battles, Planetary Invasions, and Dinner Parties

The Blessed Enterprise - Flagship of the Strom Dynasty / Reception Hall

#17 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:58 AM

This is for an NPC but my players are dealing with the Obsidian Emporial at the moment, their contact being Intercessor 22. Intercessor 22 dress from head to toe in optically distorting holographic clothing and uses a voice modulator that broadcasts multiple voices at once - in short the identity of the man or woman (or xenos!  :o ) that is Intercessor 22 is a great secret.
Surprisingly none of the PCs got greedy eyes when they saw the Intercessor's outfit or hear the funky voice (i explained it as a bit like the voice of the goa'uld from Stargate or Xerxes from 300 but cycling through modulations on the fly)

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

Only those that prosper may truly judge what is sane.

#18 rdmuniz

rdmuniz

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:15 AM

I use this image now for my Rogue Trader but now I think I should really buy a hat.
Bigger the hat bigger the power?

10389995_10200945182950373_3803742720128

• Lynata likes this

#19 Magellan

Magellan

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:49 AM

220px-DOWIIRetributionBoxInquisitor.jpg

This woman ruined hats for me. If you're allowed to care that much about such an ugly hat, what's even the point of wearing a nice one?

• Sebastian Yorke likes this

#20 at0milich

at0milich

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:47 PM

220px-DOWIIRetributionBoxInquisitor.jpg

This woman ruined hats for me. If you're allowed to care that much about such an ugly hat, what's even the point of wearing a nice one?

Well you're lucky, that hat belongs now to Kaptin Bludflagg (spoiler according the ork campaign outro) and is his/its bosspole :P

• Sebastian Yorke likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS