JoY Question: Where in the book is?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Split Light

Split Light

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:35 PM

I'm trying to find where/if it lists the stats for the Cloud Cars of the different racers.  I see the stats for the pilots and gunners, but not for the speeders.  I may well be staring straight at them and missing it, I'm not the most observant person in the world, but I can't find the stat blocks for the dang vehicles.

Any help would be appreciated, many thanks.

#2 RebelDave

RebelDave

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 04:32 PM

Ive had a quick glance, and there are no obvious statblocks... my immediate thoguht would be they all use Cloud Cars, possibly with modifications presented in the book itself that the players have access to.

That wouldnt be beyond imagination, as even in Formula 1 the cars have to fall within certain parameters to be within the rules... so you could say that the GP rules state that the the vehicles in use must be from stock Cloud Cars.

#3 Split Light

Split Light

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:15 AM

Thanks for the help.  I guess they're just not there.  I just finished off the module for our group.  I just took the stock Cloud Car Stats, and modified them a bit for each party.  A little more speed for one group, a bit more armor for a different one, etc etc.

#4 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,755 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:08 AM

I'm having a problem seeing how these things are supposed to fire on one another without destroying each other. The weapon does enough damage that one good (three success) hit is going to exceed HTT, and two hits will certainly do so in any event.

I guess all of the racers need to be treated like PCs - the cloud car isn't destroyed automatically when HTT is exceeded or else any firing can totally derail the entire scene. Of course, this might make firing on the opposition appear to be almost risk free, and can really change things too (and not necessarily for the better).

• Madcap likes this

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#5 Lathrop

Lathrop

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:50 AM

It actually notes in a side-bar on pg. 51 that "significant damage" is prohibited (outright destruction/killing the pilots inside is a felony). That probably won't stop a well-placed shot from disabling a player's ship regardless and preventing them from finishing, but it could be enough cause to bump them up in ranking if you really wanted to by saying the team that shot them down got disqualified.

#6 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,755 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:59 AM

It actually notes in a side-bar on pg. 51 that "significant damage" is prohibited (outright destruction/killing the pilots inside is a felony). That probably won't stop a well-placed shot from disabling a player's ship regardless and preventing them from finishing, but it could be enough cause to bump them up in ranking if you really wanted to by saying the team that shot them down got disqualified.

I know all of that. What I'm curious about is how can these weapons inflict damage that is 'not significant' in any reliable manner? Based upon the Damage that they do as well as the fairly unimpressive Armor and HTT of the cloud cars, it seems like any shot that hits is fairly likely to inflict 'significant damage' - resulting in disabling or even destroying the target vehicle.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#7 Split Light

Split Light

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:54 PM

I did actually run into some trouble with the race because the speeders were so fragile.  I hadn't connected the dots that if you have a 4 damage gun shooting at vehicles with 1 or 2 soak, and 6 hull, it won't take much to shoot things down.  As a GM I had a few less people shoot at our PC's, as 2 hits and your pretty much out of the race..

I also had it known that Cloud City had catch vehicles, with tractor beams below the race.  You could incapacitate people, just not out right blow them up.  If you knocked out somebodies engines there was lots of time for one of the catchers to grab their falling speeder before it fell to far.

#8 Madcap

Madcap

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:57 PM

I ran the race tonight.  Presuming the NPCs had stock cars, and the PCs modified their car with +1 Maneuver.  They also swapped out the laser cannons with ion guns (through some interesting connections).  Since everyone had linked weapons, it only took one hit to exceed the hull/strain of the cloud cars.  I just kept rolling on the crit tables after that with each successful hit.  Eventually every other car was either flying blind, unable to steer, or had severely crippled engines.  PCs won because the other cars were disabled.  The race worked as written; not sure what I would change.

STAR WARS COLLECTOR

X-WING-Rebels: X-Wing [3], Y-Wing [1], B-Wing [1], YT-1300 [1]. Empire: TIE/ln[4], Firespray [2].

RPG: AoR, EotE, SoF, JoY, EtU, DC.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS