Tell me about your Nether Deck kills.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Granville

Granville

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:31 AM

So our table played with Pandora's Box last night and it was so funny we might just can the other alternate endings and stick with this one for a while. Too many possibilities for spooking your opponents to dust, when the proverbial Talisman Arc of the Covenant is opened and they forget to close the eyes!

The real nasty thing about the deck is when your spooks start interacting with the other things on the table. When Dark Fate comes into play this is going to be just disgusting as tampering with certain rolls means instant death in most cases.

Ahhhhhhh Fate Bound + Neither Torment, you made that cocky Assassin player we have at the table get up and go smoke a cigarette.  :P 

The expansion has been out for a bit, so how have you taken your friends out with the box?

• talismanisland likes this

#2 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 709 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:36 AM

WE played with one of those alt endings, by choice, but we usually do a random draw. Since there are so many, not likely to come up often, so we house-ruled and said if you land on The Cursed Glade, at Night, you must pull a Nether card. We are thinking about doing this when you pull the Rune-Gate card too, as it appears in most Region's deck and several times in the main deck.

Having said that, no great kills that I recall. It happened early in a game and neither of us were strong enough to fight that thing; so it mostly sat there and no one wanted to land on that spot.

*** We haven't played in over 2 months... I think.... I'm losing track.  And it hurts!  But I've been told that we'll have time to play this weekend, since its a holiday weekend and we're not going anywhere.  Maybe I'll have a more vivid memory after this weekend.

• Granville likes this

#3 Granville

Granville

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:12 PM

0beron have you played with Pandora's Box yet? This is the alternate ending where when someone lands on the crown, everyone is kicked out of the region and you are dealt an armament of nasty cards to tactically pick and choose form to use as weapons against your opponents, to kill them :P

We have a pretty PVP heavy crowd and we always manage 6 players, having pulled the neighbor(s) in a few times when we lacked the 6th. Most (4 or 5 of us depending on who comes) sitting at the table have played the game with all expansions about 5 times now.

Even the first time player-neighbor who's gaming experience consists of Monopoly and that's about it, liked Pandora's Box, and he was the first one to get obliterated by it.

We are hosting a midnight beer and pretzels game (Well more like Subway :P ) at the convention for the three day weekend and using it as the default ending there. (Our local convention is kind of cool; If you host games, you get a badge and get a certificate/voucher for the dealer room, for the winner of said game(s))

On Monday we plan to bust it out again as well, during a bbq.

We have one player, Tim, who is not that into the PVP aspect of the game. He's a soft-spoken Navy vet around 50 and a little grey in the hair. He likes to play the Troll when we pick characters and is the only guy I know who WANTS to play the Chivalric Knight when he's playing in a game where he's dealt 3. He's played four games with us now and has a very good concept of the rules and the mechanics of the game. Even he enjoyed Pandora's Box, (He coined the Arc of the Covenant meme when he started to see how it panned out) and made the comment of...much better than fifty-fifty roll that drags the game out for an hour.

I think it's kind of funny that the Priest is the guy you want to be when this ending comes into play, the built in cross makes him pretty bad-ass against the deck.

#4 illygraham

illygraham

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:06 PM

So we played with Pandora's Box last night...It was myself, my wife, my daughter (15yr) and my son (12yr).  I got there first and proceeded to pretty much destroy them with the Nether Deck.  My wife had built up to about 12 lives in preparation of surviving my Pandora's Box onslaught and the following pic is the result of her being killed with one roll of the die:

14559817534_e2692b7fb9_z.jpg

She was not happy.

• Captain Clegg and DomaGB like this

#5 Artaterxes

Artaterxes

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:43 PM

Awesome... :P
Did she take it well or was she actually mad?
I've had two brothers play and one got double-toaded (meaning on reroll too) and another got double-toaded TWICE! They quit the game... :(

Edited by Artaterxes, 02 July 2014 - 07:43 PM.

• DomaGB likes this

#6 Granville

Granville

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:53 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you for the photo! EPIC!

I bet she LOVED when you busted out the camera or phone and took a picture too :P

So which neither card did it? I'm guessing our good old friend the Basilisk.

Currently our table is rolling the hidden format with dragon realm so we haven't had a Pandora's Box lately.

The last game Pandora's Box did not kill them all. It's fun as heck but I think it's better when no one sees it coming.

At least with tables who have had a few games with it where the players know what can come out of the box.

#7 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:52 AM

What a bad loser. Time for a new wife!!!

#8 Artaterxes

Artaterxes

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:02 AM

XD time for a new wife. That made me laugh.

#9 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:39 PM

What a bad loser. Time for a new wife!!!

Woah!!!   :o

RoboRally, then Talisman. That's the way it is... ;)

#10 jackyboy

jackyboy

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:44 AM

I played my first game with Nether Deck last night. It was certainly a blood bath! "If you lose you are killed..." damn!!!! I died three times and my gf died twice. In the end we had to give up as we all had work in the morning and it was getting very late!

Well all really enjoyed the mechanics of the Nether Deck (we played the hunt alt ending) however and I for one am looking forward to another game of it very soon! :)

#11 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:14 PM

Yeah it is fun. We played 3 games of it in a row before finally playing something different this last weekend. It is brutal, but fun!

RoboRally, then Talisman. That's the way it is... ;)

#12 jackyboy

jackyboy

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:06 AM

well my group played a 5 player game with base set, plus the nether deck with The Hunt alt ending last night.

It took about 3hours before anyone had 4 killed nether deck creatures in their inventory, myself and another guy had four and seemed to be looking promising in winnning the game. Still lacking major strentgth and craft we were trying to level up quickly as the night was getting late; by firing through the nether deck!!! Suddenly two cards later and the face of the game had changed!!!!! I died instantly with one of them pesky 'if you roll lower than....your killed...' cards! which stayed on the board to kill another 2 players eager for my loot!!!  Within ten minutes of drawing them KILL cards the everyone was dead, and the weakest player by default won!!

Got to love the nether deck!!! :D

• Granville and DomaGB like this

#13 Lord Kalten

Lord Kalten

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:05 PM

I personally think the Nether Deck is great, but Pandora's Box is the one card I am unsure about.

Maybe it's because prior to that, we went for the straight forward ending one where you put all the Nether cards in the inner region.  We found that even if you went down the Strength route you could encounter a high level Craft creature and have to turn back as there was no way to win.

So when going for Pandora's Box, I was one step ahead of a friend and we were both fairly beefed up.  I got there first and he had to turn back having been pushed back to the Plain of Peril.

Problem is that because both of our characters were beefed up, he was difficult to kill.  We had a third friend that had just started a new character after being killed off, but because I was using all my cards to kill the friend that was one step behind, he survived.

The problem I found was that by and large the cards weren't powerful enough to take on my friend when he could exit the Plain of Peril and the cards had to be applied to him one by one.  In fact, with every win, we could trade in the trophies for more Strength/Craft.  It was only a fluke where one card would kill if I rolled a double (and that was only because I had an object that allowed 2 dice to be rolled in a fate reroll and I could pick which to use).

So if you're strong enough to get to the Crown Of Command, the chances are that you're better off letting someone else go there as you have higher odds of surviving outside and winning the game.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS