Benefits of Mounted Combat?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 segara82

segara82

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 04:40 AM

Meltas and Meltabombs for Riders makes them in dense terrain to scaringly effective tank hunters.

Courage is the mastery of fear - not the absence of fear

#22 jjjetplane209

jjjetplane209

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 01:34 PM

Do Mounted Riders benefit from the Hit and Run movement rule from the Core Rulebook? That might make them a more appealing option.

#23 Routa-maa

Routa-maa

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:52 AM

Do Mounted Riders benefit from the Hit and Run movement rule from the Core Rulebook? That might make them a more appealing option.

Mounted Characters have their own variant "Strike and Fade" in Hammer of the Emperor p.134* . It doesn't seem to have the same danger as "Hit & Run" has when failing the Weapon Skill Test by three or higher (Going Out of Control/Crashing)

*(There are also more actions specifically for live mounts)

Muutokselle annamme Elämän, Elämälle annamme Muutoksen.

#24 Cail

Cail

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 02:25 AM

K, so if anyone other than the Imperium and certain Chaos forces used living? mounts, then we'd have something. However, minusing those and some Kroot, mechanical conveyance is the way of the day.

This isn't an accurate description of the lore of the game world.

As you stated, Kroot ride beasts such as Knarlocks.
Orks often use cybernetically altered boars as cavalry units (although the models for these have been lacking for a few editions)
Eldar Exodites are often depicted riding large repitillian beasts similar to the Cold Ones in fantasy.
Tyranids beasts by design,
Certain space marine chapters have recently been depicted using cavalry (Fenris Wolf Cav, or whatever they're called)

So yes, most of the races in 40k have forces that use some kind of cavalry in the lore. The only real exception is the Necrons.

• Intellect is the Understanding of Knowledge.
  • Sentience is the Basest Form of Intellect.
  • Understanding is the True Path to Comprehension.
  • Comprehension is the Key to all Things

#25 venkelos

venkelos

• Members
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:16 AM

K, so if anyone other than the Imperium and certain Chaos forces used living? mounts, then we'd have something. However, minusing those and some Kroot, mechanical conveyance is the way of the day.

This isn't an accurate description of the lore of the game world.

As you stated, Kroot ride beasts such as Knarlocks.
Orks often use cybernetically altered boars as cavalry units (although the models for these have been lacking for a few editions)
Eldar Exodites are often depicted riding large repitillian beasts similar to the Cold Ones in fantasy.
Tyranids beasts by design,
Certain space marine chapters have recently been depicted using cavalry (Fenris Wolf Cav, or whatever they're called)

So yes, most of the races in 40k have forces that use some kind of cavalry in the lore. The only real exception is the Necrons.

I have never seen a cy-boar, so I didn't imagine Orks riding one-guy mounts; Squiggoths, certainly, but nothing their scale of a horse or Knarloc. Feel sorry for such beasts.

Eldar on living mounts are High Elves; no one really seems to see Exodites.

Do any Nids move AS cavalry?

Space Marines DON'T ride animals; GW makes a fancy model for one of their even more than Space marine lines, and it looks cool, that's about it.

Okay, now that I'm done spouting crap, some of which is likely untrue, most of the technically advanced races DO use machines, rather than F&B animal mounts. Part of my rib is that, while GW doesn't always model everything that exists, or have enough variety to reflect everything they claim exists (female Guardsmen, for example), I've seen very few animal mounts in the minis range; those are for Fantasy, like the cool Slaanesh Chaos Lieutenant on a Steed of Slaanesh a friend of mine made. So, thus I claim that few use them, even if some I didn't consider, or think of, do.

Still, babbling about who gives a horse's ass about the horses one rode in on, I still wonder if the mounted riders on machines benefit, once they get where they are going. Horses, and their related mounts are CERTAINLY useful up close; depending on what you are riding, they can bit, claw, kick, pin, or whatever have you, and most are not so fast that you can't swing as you go by. Just not sure if the bike, or what have you, is so similar. Eldar on jetbikes are cool, and in TT are very good, but in RPG, I'm not sure how well they can hit as they ride by at "your dead" speed, and just hovering there, so I can attack, I'm not so agile as an Eldar should be, in dodging attacks. Almost want the Warboss to have a convoluted ejection/catapult contraption that throws him over the front, and into the fray, since I'm not sure how his bike helps him in assault (no Toughness boost, extra Wound, or special rules for disengaging here.)

#26 venkelos

venkelos

• Members
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:16 AM

So, say you actually believe that the Guard Bike Squadron is a good idea; you might be the only person other than me, but be happy, it can be a good feeling ;)  If you were going to fabricate this regiment, would you shoot for mechanized, like the folks with Chimeras, recon, like the Sentinel folks, or Rough Rider, but with a metal steed? I have some ideas what gear to give, and what the bike will be like, but not sure what base regiment type is appropriate.

#27 cpteveros

cpteveros

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:40 AM

There's a bike statted up in the mini campaign that comes with the GM kit, if you can find it.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS