Tinkerer Construct Ability Ruling

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MoinseurTomahawk

MoinseurTomahawk

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:01 PM

Just a quick question that I wanted some clarity on regarding the Tinkerer's last ability concerning Construct enemies. The ability states; "Whenever you encounter a Construct, you may take it as an automated Follower instead of attacking it. However, while a Construct is an automate follower, you cannot use its ability." Now when my Brother and I addressed this ability it was my first time playing as the Tinkerer. The reason we had an issue with this description is because its not worded like an ability that the Ogre Chieftain has, such as dominate, where you have to roll higher than its strength to get the enemy and the dominated enemy only adds its strength to yours for one battle (same thing with enthralling spirits). Instead for the Tinkerer my Brother and I read it as; that since the Construct is an automated follower, so long as its your follower it adds its strength to yours in as many battles as you wish until you lose it. When reading this, the first thing that came to mind was the "Battle Hulk", which is an enemy Construct in the Dungeon with a strength of 10. Which I actually ended up getting as an automated follower along with another Construct "Grinder" with a strength 4. Now however small the chance of getting that is, it's still happened, and it seemed super overpowered as I was then able to then annihilate the Lord of Darkness with enough extra to teleport to the plain of peril and then proceed to win the game. I understand the section of the ability stating "However, while a Construct is an automated follower, you cannot use its ability" applies to constructs such as the Clockwork Cabinet, where you wouldn't get the inventory bonus since you didn't defeat it, but it would still add 4 to your strength. So I guess the main question is; Does the Tinkerer's ability function like the abilities of the Ogre Chieftain or Ghoul in the sense that the controlled enemy only add their bonus for one battle? Or do they function as followers that add however much their strength is to you, until you lose them? 

#2 Artaterxes

Artaterxes

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:07 PM

No, I think you are misunderstanding the definition of an automated follower.

An automated follower is either an Object or Enemy-Construct that has turned its card subtype into Follower and may be discarded to replace a card you are about to encounter.

Objects that are turned into automated Followers retain their abilities until they are discarded; Enemy-Constructs that you turn into automated Followers do not have any additional ability.

This means that the Tinkerer is not concerned about object limits because he can turn all of his objects into automated followers, of which he may have an unlimited number.

As an example, you can turn a Sword (Object) into a Sword (Follower) that no longer counts towards your object limit, still provides +1 to battle, but may also be discarded when you want to replace an Adventure Card.

You can also turn the Battle Hulk (Construct) or Grinder (Construct) into followers, but their only purpose would be for discarding to replace cards you are about to encounter.

• talismanisland likes this

#3 MoinseurTomahawk

MoinseurTomahawk

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:14 PM

That makes much more sense. Thank you!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS