Acquiring STCs

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Errant

Errant

• Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:14 PM

Now i got a question... how does an AdMech Magos go about creating something for which there is a need, without violating the tenets of the mechanikum?

In our group, our explorator wants to build servitor mounted rocket artillery. If there is no design known to him, would this be "inventing something new" or would a typical AdMech just tak some rocketlaunchers on a servitor and call it a day (this kind of mix-and-matching, does it fall under heretek?), or would he need a whole new SCT plan for such a thing?

So long as it does not violate the precepts of the Sixteen Laws, you should be fine.

The Warnings

• 09. The alien mechanism is a perversion of the True Path.
  • 10. The soul is the conscience of sentience.
  • 11. A soul can be bestowed only by the Omnissiah.
  • 12. The Soulless sentience is the enemy of all life.
  • 13. The knowledge of the ancients stands beyond question.
  • 14. The Machine Spirit guards the knowledge of the Ancients.
  • 15. Flesh is fallible, but ritual honours the Machine Spirit.
  • 16. To break with ritual is to break with faith.

Don't use xeno bits. Don't try and futz about with the soul. Necrons and AI will steal your babies. STC patterns are always better. You will break things if you don't follow the proper rituals.

Beyond that, there's no reason you can't make changes to things.

#22 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 839 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:46 PM

• 13. The knowledge of the ancients stands beyond question.

This one is the stickler. I believe EVERYTHING in the Imperium is built from an STC, so any improvement to anything is looking at an STC design and changing it. There are people in the AdMech who would scream so loud that your brains would liquefy at the thought of this.

Now you could very easily make the claim that inventing something new is like Errant said and not infringing on Archeotech. But ultimately it's up to your GM, and just because one person says yes doesn't mean a conclave won't say no.

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#23 WilliamAsher

WilliamAsher

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:27 PM

There are actually a lot of things in the books that don't have an STC.  They have basis in STC technology, but there has never been an STC found for them.  Pretty much everything marked Archeotech doesn't have an STC (or they could build them).  I tend to see STCs as the basic tech that all of humanity used during the Age of Technology.  Remeber that STCs were used to start colonies.  There were colonies that developed to the point of making items significantly better than any STC item that we know of (Archeotech).  I am certain that there are worlds out there where humanity actually moved forward technologically and considered STC stuff to be 'basic, no frills' items.  In addition, Titans are not STC items.  Nor are Land Speeders, they are just based on STC grav plates.  In order to be accepted by the Mechanicum, your tech much be made up of STC tech, with no Xeno or Heretical tech added to it.  You can make a modification to an item, as long as it follows STC technology.  That is where all the different patterns come from.

#24 RogalDorn01

RogalDorn01

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:40 AM

There are actually a lot of things in the books that don't have an STC.  They have basis in STC technology, but there has never been an STC found for them.  Pretty much everything marked Archeotech doesn't have an STC (or they could build them).  I tend to see STCs as the basic tech that all of humanity used during the Age of Technology.  Remeber that STCs were used to start colonies.  There were colonies that developed to the point of making items significantly better than any STC item that we know of (Archeotech).  I am certain that there are worlds out there where humanity actually moved forward technologically and considered STC stuff to be 'basic, no frills' items.  In addition, Titans are not STC items.  Nor are Land Speeders, they are just based on STC grav plates.  In order to be accepted by the Mechanicum, your tech much be made up of STC tech, with no Xeno or Heretical tech added to it.  You can make a modification to an item, as long as it follows STC technology.  That is where all the different patterns come from.

You are mixing up STC construction machines with an engineering plan known to have a basis in confirmed Technology that originated in an STC database.  When they refer to STC fragments they are almost invariably referring to database information.  Titan of all variants are Absolutely STC technology, everything is.  But the Ad Mech does not have a bunch of Ancient STC stamping machines kicking out complete Tanks and Titans, they build that stuff the old fashioned way, just using blueprints that are confirmed to have come from an STC technology.

If your party found an Intact STC factory they would be the Toast of Mars for all time

"And now...witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational invisible doggy fence..."

#25 Errant

Errant

• Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:18 AM

This whole 'an STC is the library blueprint/lol no it's the constructor/no it's the literal library thing' is the most frustrating thing about them. Personally, for the sake of future arguments, I'm recommending the following nomenclature changes:

Standard Template Artifactory: Relics of the Dark Age of Technology, these temples of industry are capable of producing a pre-configured device, provided sufficient raw material is provided.

Standard Template Blueprint: In theory, these are printouts from a Standard Template Construct. More commonly they are the long-faded shadows of a printout burned into a long-dead terminal, or scrap of paper held in stasis after recovery from the ruins of the DAoT. These are what you're most likely to come across, and be greatly enriched for doing so.

Standard Template Construct: The whole damned library of humanity. Everything your budding colony needed to Go Forth And Multiply in the DAoT was contained in the knowledge-banks of these devices. If you find one, your GM is doing things wrong and the entire Mechanicus will collapse to the floor in throes of ecstasy.

Now, my original point was this: Consider the Predator Annihilator. Originally conceived as a field modification to a Predator, it underwent 200 years of study, investigation and pogroms before someone came across a Standard Template Blueprint that contained that exact variant. The humble lasgun, on the other hand, has thousands of variants, almost one for every world that tithes to the Departmento Munitorium and Imperial Guard. If it were an STC, there'd be public floggings everytime a guardsman picked up his non-Mars-issue rifle.

However, at the end of the day, you are an Explorator. You are supposed to be a high priest of a religion that worships the technology that has come before with a zealous fervour. Patterns of design aren't just blueprints, they're holy scripture. You may have come to the Expanse for darker leanings in your knowledge, but that doesn't change the fact that puritans may consider your advances to be anathema. If you cannot prove that you have shown proper dedication to the 13th Law, you'll get your **** kicked in by Skitarii Myrmidons. 

****, I think I lost my train of thought. Uh. Existing knowledge good, be careful trying to improve things?

• RogalDorn01 likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS