Regionals or State Championships?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Goknights12

Goknights12

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:43 PM

So I played in my first regional championship this year, and a friend of mine was going to go to Wisconsin to play in his... 3 hours away. The Wisconsin championship got over a 3 AM!. I know that regionals is supposed to be a bigger and better group of players, but I think it really pushes more casual players away who may be more apt to play in a state championship.

What do you think? I think state championship and then nationals might be better and encourage more players to play.

#2 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:17 PM

I'd say split the difference:

Store Championships --> State Championships --> Regional Championships --> National Championships --> World Championship

#3 MacRauri

MacRauri

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 04:34 PM

3AM?!  Holy crap, when did you guys start?

#4 Goknights12

Goknights12

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:50 PM

I didn't go, but I think it started at 11 or 12, but had 30 some players, probably 65-70 minute rounds, took about 15 minutes to set up each round. And if they played Top 16 down to the championship with no time limit, that might take forever.

I'd say split the difference:

Store Championships --> State Championships --> Regional Championships --> National Championships --> World Championship

Yeah, either or. I just think it would encourage more people to attend the larger tournaments.

#5 TGO

TGO

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:50 AM

The Star Wars LCG regional in Wisconsin isnt until July, unless he went to play X-Wing, which was the 17th. If it was X-wing then I am not surprised. The planfield illinois LCG regional ended around 10pm and we started at noon.

• Goknights12 likes this

#6 Goknights12

Goknights12

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:11 AM

I think you're right. *facepalm* he said LCG and I just went with it...although I still stick with my state championship idea.

#7 KennedyHawk

KennedyHawk

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:40 AM

Yeah I heard the X-wing regional had 63 players not 30ish as well, it was huge!

#8 TGO

TGO

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:49 AM

Yeah I heard the X-wing regional had 63 players not 30ish as well, it was huge!

That is insane! That would explain why it went until 3am.

#9 bobbywhiskey

bobbywhiskey

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:01 PM

Ya, these regionals are getting beastly. Almost all of them are stories like that. There WAS a SWLCG one in west virginia with about 40 players maybe even a little less that still went until like 2 am. Or later....

There was a Netrunner regional in chicago with 87 *shudder*

#10 See Threebilbo

See Threebilbo

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:22 PM

As a Virginian, I can see why the WV one was packed: all of the people here in VA had to drive all the way there.  xD

If I'm lucky now that I'm back home, they'll schedule one in Richmond or Newport News for next year.  Just hope it's not in the northern part of the state.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS