Thief/Treasure hunter imbalanced?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 PlainWhiteBread

PlainWhiteBread

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:54 PM

Zaltyre, I can agree with the sentiment that as long as the unbalanced parts between hero and OL even out to 1:1, it's all good.

Our hero party got pretty mad that despite gearing up as best we could in preparation for the final battle, none of it mattered. What stung the most was that it actually counted against us, and that doing well with treasure cost us the entire campaign. It stifles play because if the heroes do well, the OL has a handy method to shut them down. If they do poorly, heroes are squishy, weak and susceptible to the conventional method.

I'm looking forward to Nerekhall, but given the general consensus that it favors the OL, I don't think we're going to walk away from that one either.

#22 Whitewing

Whitewing

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:52 PM

Wildlander has the best ability in the game, hands down, and for 1 xp. No other scout class can force the overlord to discard cards. When properly used, it can completely eliminate the overlord's ability to forfeit encounter 1 of a 2 part encounter to save up extra cards for an overwhelming advantage on part 2. If the overlord isn't rushing for a win in part 1, you just take your time and keep forcing him to discard cards.

I feel like we might have had this conversation in different threads, Whitewing, but... you have a really, REALLY weird grasp of strategy and tactics :-) I respectfully disagree that's the best ability in the game, along with just about everything else you say in this post :-) You vastly underrate the treasure hunter, and seem to misunderstand the usage of most of his skills. If you "just grab raythen and laugh" against a treasure hunter I think you don't spend much time playing against particularly good players.

If you're going to insult the people I play with without any idea of who they are or how they play, I can equally say you suck at overlord and that's why the strategies seem weird to you. This is kind of pointless for both of us, so I'll suggest that you refrain from insulting people you've never met. It doesn't help your argument any, neither does suggesting that my grasp of strategy and tactics is strange. My grasp of strategy and tactics is very strong, if you believe I'm wrong say why, don't just say I am weird or wrong and then leave it at that.

As for Raythen's plot deck, it screws with the search deck. Treasure hunter's specialty is re-arranging the search deck to get better search cards. Raythen's plot deck re-arranges them to make them worse. Every time the treasure hunter re-arranges them to get better cards, you can counter that. All sorts of tricks the deck has to heavily limit the treasure hunter's abilities.

#23 Zaltyre

Zaltyre

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:27 PM

Zaltyre, I can agree with the sentiment that as long as the unbalanced parts between hero and OL even out to 1:1, it's all good.

Our hero party got pretty mad that despite gearing up as best we could in preparation for the final battle, none of it mattered. What stung the most was that it actually counted against us, and that doing well with treasure cost us the entire campaign. It stifles play because if the heroes do well, the OL has a handy method to shut them down. If they do poorly, heroes are squishy, weak and susceptible to the conventional method.

I'm looking forward to Nerekhall, but given the general consensus that it favors the OL, I don't think we're going to walk away from that one either.

On the other hand, I recently finished a shadow rune campaign as OL. The heroes won every Act 1 quest, including the introduction, a rumor, and the interlude. I then proceeded to win the first Act 2 quest with a lot of luck, and was able to choose favorable quests and win the rest of Act 2. The finale came down to the wire, but the heroes secured the win during encounter 2.

And I wouldn't get discouraged about Nerekhall- while the OL does have a lot of tools at his disposal in that campaign, it looks like the new heroes also bring very interesting skills to the table. The bard is one heck of a healer, and the skirmisher is (in my opinion) the most interesting warrior class. Several of his skills are actually focused on him getting knocked out to give him mobility- a really neat twist.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS