An Esgaroth Advanture Pack

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#41 ZanzibarLand

ZanzibarLand

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:35 AM

Seems pretty powerful. I think that Custodian and only a few other means will net you a free ally so it might not be overpowered. A very good tale is one method I can think of. What about sneak attack then swapping for a permanent ally, it'll cost 3 and require 2 cards but its doable.

#42 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:39 AM

This'll be hella load of preparation. But effects seems to be too abusable, I'll prolly change it.

• ZanzibarLand likes this

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#43 ZanzibarLand

ZanzibarLand

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:17 AM

It's only a two card combo and there are combos as useful/powerful in the game already. Sneak Gandalf is the same kind of thing. I don't think it's too powerful, maybe just a little abusable.

#44 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:21 AM

Sneak Attack Gandalf is bad on it's own, no need to nurture the same kind of stuff, especially within the same sphere.

#45 ZanzibarLand

ZanzibarLand

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:30 AM

Sneak Attack Gandalf is bad on it's own, no need to nurture the same kind of stuff, especially within the same sphere.

Yeah, that's true. I'm interested to see the rest of your ideas.

#46 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:34 AM

Many things. You could return something exhausted to put into play something ready. You could use something with reduced cost but high printed cost to put into play something with really high cost. Like you can return a Citadel Custodian(which you paid 0 for) to your hand to put Gandalf into play.

I think I need to put more thought into this Intriguing Offer.

I think Intriguing Offer is perfectly fine the way it is. There are a lot of powerful combos, but in general, the most powerful combos require too many cards to make them efficient, so it's fine.

When I finish everything, I'll assemble an OCTGN set and will give it some test.

Well, looking back at the original LotR LCG, there is currently 4 craftsmen in the game: lampwright, shipwright and two blacksmiths. Both blacksmith work with attachments and belong to the Lore sphere, so I don't know why you think Grandmaster does not belongs to this sphere because of his attachment-related ability...

Studded Leather Armor is a light protection intent for those going not into the fight directly, but on the scouting or else. So I thought, Spirit would be a decent fit.

I said the Grandmaster might be in the wrong sphere because most restricted attachments are in Tactics, but you're right that his craftsman nature works perfectly with Lore, so I think he should stay there. As for the Studded Leather, the fact that it is armor just screams Tactics to me and I think it's a more powerful defense than you realize. Being able to cancel one damage every round can be immensely powerful, even at the cost of discarding a card, especially since they have more HP too. Granted, it's not a cost people can generally pay every round unless they have a huge load of card draw, but it works great for cancelling Archery damage or for using on a hero with somewhat lower defense, so they can essentially have 1 more defense. ... although, it also works great for treachery cards that damage questing/exhausted heroes, so it still kinda fits in Spirit, but so far, all armor is in Tactics: http://www.hallofbeo...ne&Random=False

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#47 ZanzibarLand

ZanzibarLand

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:01 AM

The defence against archery and treachery direct damage is something I didn't think of, but which is really powerful. If this was official I would definitely include it in a lot of decks.

#48 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:21 AM

Note that all those armors are heavy as hell. Having a couple of armors outside of tactics is a nice change of pace from my perspective.

#49 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:51 PM

Final batch of allies. Now just a little bit of events left.

CNP8lsRYfhs.jpg

uU5iifntOx4.jpg

Z0eB6hRXHJ4.jpg

s3kbgg2GQYU.jpg

ARXwjVpyp78.jpg

#50 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:43 PM

These latest cards are all quite interesting and unique but I don't think I particularly like any of them. Maybe you should take a break for a bit and let your mind get back to normal :P.

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#51 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:19 PM

I'm 4 events short of finishing. I'll get things done and then will try it out. Nothing is set in stone, things could easily change dramatically.

#52 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:05 PM

I'm 4 events short of finishing. I'll get things done and then will try it out. Nothing is set in stone, things could easily change dramatically.

I haven't been able to keep up with all your card releases (but I feel there's a massive trend towards them becoming more overpowered and less balanced). At this point I will wait for you to finish and then evaluate the set as a whole.

I know you will need to change Survivor of Smaug a lot. a 0 cost 1 willpower ally would be played without any other rules in the tactics sphere. A 2 cost +3 wlllpower (and then +1 willpower a turn ally) is just even better.  A 2 cost chump defender that can also give +1/2 attack to help you counter the enemy you chump defended is also stupidly good - combining these effects into a single card with no opportunity cost for the flexibility is ridiculous. She also gives you an incredibly cheap way to power many of your exhaust esgaroth cards.

She's ridiculously good currently. 

People of Esgaroth is a nice idea for a card, but did you intend for it to become silvan or dwarf? (your envoy cards would mean that it could). I think he should have willpower 1, on the other hand 0 hitpoints without another ally in play is kind of bad. So i would want to test this more, I feel he's a bit too good with the ability to defend without exhausting. 

• joezim007 likes this

#53 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:33 PM

Survivor of Smaug cannot attack or defend, can she?

Yes, I did. They will get whatever trait the townsfolk currently have. Not that it will help them much though, but still nice.

Ability to defend without exhausting comes in a pair with 0 base hit points and 0 base defense. Mind that damage sticks, and if they get damaged and some other ally you control leaves play - People of Esgaroth might just die from the maximum health reduction. You'll need to work really hard to utilize them as defenders, and that's kinda the point.

In any case, refer to any cards posted here as a rough concepts.

Edited by MyNeighbourTrololo, 23 May 2014 - 03:05 AM.

#54 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:15 AM

I think I just came up with something more interesting than a boring stat boost for Watch Captain. Cool.

I think, global native stat boost on somebody(Dain, Boromir) hurts game's balance, because all cards that come are influenced by this boost's very existance and therefor are purposely weakened and hardly usable without the said boost in play. 

Edited by MyNeighbourTrololo, 23 May 2014 - 04:18 AM.

#55 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:39 AM

Took me a little bit to understand Night Road Watch. At first he just seemed like all downside, but then I realized that he allows you to see shadow cards before they are normally revealed, which can combo nicely with other cards and at the very least gives you knowledge of something that would otherwise be unknown. I liked him a lot more now, and even with the -1 stats, he's still decently versatile with 1wp, 1atk, and 3hp.

I like him now, but Lore has enough 3-cost allies.

#56 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 06:24 AM

The point of Night Road Watch is that you may risk with some of his stats by exposing a shadow card. 

The theme, you know. He is a night watch. Night is a time when there is a lot of shadow. And if he exposed to an actual, living shadow, he is temporarily weakened. 

#57 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:21 AM

Meet new, refined Watch Captain. 

WYf2K8Sm3t8.jpg

#58 ZanzibarLand

ZanzibarLand

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:32 AM

Spelling mistake on people of Esgaroth.

Another cool set of cards. The people and lake guide are my favourites here, and the night watch is cool. Knowledge is power.

#59 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:20 AM

The point of Night Road Watch is that you may risk with some of his stats by exposing a shadow card. 

The theme, you know. He is a night watch. Night is a time when there is a lot of shadow. And if he exposed to an actual, living shadow, he is temporarily weakened. 

Yea, of this latest bunch of cards I like his mechanic and his theme the best.

#60 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:47 PM

Z0eB6hRXHJ4.jpg

The illustrator is Ryan Pancoast. That's "Unruly Mob" from Innestrad flipped.
Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS