• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#21 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:03 PM

I think I have an idea how to make her less blunt and more easily accessible, while keeping her balanced. But I'll take those thoughts to the bad, as it's falling too late. Gonna come back to this tomorrow, after the work. Have some stuff in my pocket to start turning this into the deluxe expansion.

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#22 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:39 PM

Updated images with the spelling and typo fixes. Slightly reworked Artificer.
Added new leadership ally (he doesn't fits into the main post):

OuHMtY-_bxQ.jpg

Here are some card I'm highly doubtful about and would like to hear someones opinion on:

FeRPYOafQuc.jpg

V-POp8muMmc.jpg

UxO9qXgGwSk.jpg

Those cards are The Toll Gate-like, obviously. Just an thoughts on what if Toll Gate was not an unique to it's kind and there was a whole subtype of cards like it.

Edited by MyNeighbourTrololo, 20 May 2014 - 03:47 AM.

#23 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:22 AM

It seems encounter cards instead player cards

A wizard is never late..., he arrives precisely when it is the last round

#24 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:42 AM

Warband leader: seems to be fine; definitely playable with the potential to give you a good reward for the cost (but if he hits nothing he's slightly too expensive). Which seems like the right place for him to be. It's a good card I would expect to see something similar from the official developers if they really do develop the warrior trait for allies.

Shifting Bargains: I find this really hard to evaluate. I'm not sure I would ever pay two for this effect (since it requires card discard as well) on the other hand I can think of times when this would be amazing, it's also guaranteed to work every round that you're on that quest card so maybe cost 2 is appropriate. 

Watchtower: I really like the effect on this card. I suspect that cost 2 is too cheap for it for an effect you can use every round while on the same quest card though. Yes it's only 1 enemy a turn in single player - but it has the potential to negate two enemies per play (kill 1 with the damage, then the +defence makes it so another does no damage). I'd pay 2 for this on a one use event card so I think the cost is too low. 

It should be at least 3; arguably even 4. (Although at 4 it becomes a card that would be still great for some quests but mostly too expensive for it's effect). I'd make it 3 for play-testing.

Great Celebration: This is one of those cards that I think you've undercosted, but it depends on if the Esgaroth trait was going to get more attention. If Esgaroth was eventually going to be a full trait (I think it will) then this card should be cost 4 at least. If however the trait isn't full (like eagles) then I think it should be cost 2.

In general it's hard to evaluate the value of "attach to the current quest card" we don't currently have any cards of that type from the official game. I'm sure they'll come eventually but I don't know how to cost-balance them. They're better than attachments to locations because the quest will typically stay in play for longer. They're like effects you'll get for some rounds between 1 and 8 or 9 (for some quests).

This makes me feel they should maybe all be 1 cost more in general than those attachments (which would make them cost 2 base, instead of cost 1) - however getting some of these effects for a cost of only 2 over 8 or 9 rounds would be ridiculously good. So they would need a lot of play testing to find the balance of the cost.

• ZanzibarLand likes this

#25 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:02 AM

I love you idea of attaching cards to the current quest card. There's a lot of give and take with them because they can stick around for a long time, or they can be gone later that round, depending on how well you quest. I think the potential for them to be very short-lived could bring the price down on them a bit, but maybe not. It's also nice because at the moment, nothing can target an attachment that is attached to a quest.

I also love Hardened. In one sense, it's nothing new because you could just play one of the Dunedain attachments instead, but this gives you the versatility to put the points where they are needed at the time, but it also has a requirement of another armor/weapon attachment to be in play, so a 1- or 0-cost is pretty good.

Great work with most of these cards. You are adding something truly unique to the game with them. Add these to Gizlivadi's Haven cards, and we're looking at a very different game than we're used to.

Edited by joezim007, 20 May 2014 - 09:05 AM.

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#26 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:20 AM

About targeting, if you were to discard attachments - you'll be discarding those attached to the quest too. 

#27 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:53 PM

This is probably getting out of hand, but I had a day off and I spent it thinking about this stuff. Many new cards, so quality and balance might(and will) be on the bad side.

I did more research, and found out that Esgaroth traded actvely with dwarves...

td32CHOwFrg.jpg

...elves of the woodlands...

uJf6sB-CLds.jpg

...and even easterlings! During the times of peace, of course.

jsmTi15TsQA.jpg

And here is 3 polished new environment cards(The Toll Gate also got a slight text update):

Kb7i09eDsss.jpg

OHbu-eyD5IQ.jpg

LRXYM_X-nbo.jpg

This expansion works a lot with weapons, armors and attachments in general, but lacked attachments

of its own. Here's some fine pieces of Esgarothian craft:

1a_YQJqKuP8.jpg

4vDZOD0OUa0.jpg

j96DN2JuL_Y.jpg

dqU4zL_-LvM.jpg

"The Men of Lake-town traded with Dorwinion (a human realm on the fertile coastal plain on the west shore of the Sea of Rhûn) in a unique way; wine barrels were floated down from Thranduil's caverns in Mirkwood (the Elves were known as copious wine drinkers, as found in the Hobbit) along the Celduin down to Lake-town, where they were redirected to Dorwinion. The wine was then paid for and filled with the necessary goods before being shipped back north, and the cycle of trade resumed once more."

Edited by MyNeighbourTrololo, 20 May 2014 - 03:20 PM.

#28 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:21 PM

Image limit on previuous post has ended, so I'll continue here.

Making unique characters for the Esgorath is challenging indeed, given no information about anybody living there...

3in7e10wGpA.jpg

And now, my weak point: events. I am really proud of these two though.

hyRvhfNDz30.jpg

7PPcwq7qon0.jpg

Edited by MyNeighbourTrololo, 20 May 2014 - 05:31 PM.

#29 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:26 PM

Great work trololo!! Really love some of the art and card mechanics. Some cards are awesome and some are really well done and thematic (barrels in the water is fantastic thematically). Not sure if I will actually give these cards a go or not but really enjoying reading and looking at them and this thread. Almost feels like pretend/psuedo spoilers while we wait for real spoilers/the next cards to be released.

~Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul~

~One ring to cover the lands in complete and utter misery, one ring for the dark lord to work his wretched trickery~

#30 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:57 AM

Thanks. I just like to design this sheet. Gives me sort of a puzzle to crack my brain at.

#31 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:33 AM

So. Here is my go on some more Esgaroth heroes...

eVxnTL2oljA.jpg

TRyHzGI9ZU4.jpg

And here is a couple of cards I found a better fitting art for:

AcwICfQL850.jpg

hlAo_b10GuI.jpg

#32 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 01:49 PM

Great work Trololo! However, I think that "Great Celebration" is still overpowered. Perhaps if you'd add something like "characters that are exhausted while GC is exhausted cannot be readied during the refresh phase"?(hangover)

#33 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:07 PM

Why do you think it's overpowered? It targets a specific trait(and only allies), it discards itself if someone from that trait dies or upon stage completion, it requires you to discard a costy card from your hand(which you could have needed later). This card is basically consists from drawbacks  :lol:

#34 ZanzibarLand

ZanzibarLand

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:17 PM

Once again, really awesome. You really excel at making these custom cards. I agree with whoever said they feel like these are official spoilers, they're that good.
  • PsychoRocka likes this

#35 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:25 PM

Why do you think it's overpowered? It targets a specific trait(and only allies), it discards itself if someone from that trait dies or upon stage completion, it requires you to discard a costy card from your hand(which you could have needed later). This card is basically consists from drawbacks  :lol:

I think it's fine. Discarding a card may not be sufficient cost to ready multiple allies, but since this attachment will stay in play for such a limited time and it's limited to a specific subset of allies, it's pretty balanced. I might make it cost 1 more, but otherwise I think it's fine. I'd say it's practically an auto-include for Esgaroth, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's overpowered. Of course, I'd have to test it out first for a perfect judgment, but that's how I feel right now.

I do feel like Grandmaster Blacksmith is kinda in the wrong sphere for his effect (at least the restricted limit increase part), but that might just means that you have to be more creative to include him.

I'm also in love with Studded Leather Armor, but it definitely feels like it's the wrong sphere.

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#36 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:26 PM

I like the idea with the  Grandmaster Blacksmith being able to have 3 restricted attachments.  Cool tinkering around with some of the mechanics in not obvious ways

• joezim007 likes this

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#37 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:36 PM

When I finish everything, I'll assemble an OCTGN set and will give it some test.

Well, looking back at the original LotR LCG, there is currently 4 craftsmen in the game: lampwright, shipwright and two blacksmiths. Both blacksmith work with attachments and belong to the Lore sphere, so I don't know why you think Grandmaster does not belongs to this sphere because of his attachment-related ability...

Studded Leather Armor is a light protection intent for those going not into the fight directly, but on the scouting or else. So I thought, Spirit would be a decent fit.

#38 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:57 PM

Here is little something, before I go to work:

A couple of boring allies... But sometimes boredom is necessary:

GPImApYsPus.jpg

7s-u5zXfb2Y.jpg

This fella should provide some so much needed help with questing for Tactcs, even outside of the Esgaroth:

2K1HpZHyUnQ.jpg

Final attachment of the set:

8lcJYXtUzUI.jpg

And some funny events:

9_IgS-GH6c4.jpg

HOQmrY1NvIk.jpg

Generally, all that remains to be done is two events, one for Tactics and one for Lore. I am seriously considering making another round of allies though, and some neutral cards too. 

#39 ZanzibarLand

ZanzibarLand

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:03 AM

Go whole hog (meaning do all the extra events, allies and neutral cards), you've got my support.

What's the idea behind Intriguing Offer? To reuse 'when played from hand' effects?

#40 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:28 AM

Many things. You could return something exhausted to put into play something ready. You could use something with reduced cost but high printed cost to put into play something with really high cost. Like you can return a Citadel Custodian(which you paid 0 for) to your hand to put Gandalf into play.

I think I need to put more thought into this Intriguing Offer.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS