Photo

When new players ask why you must move past spaces you want to visit...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Artaterxes

Artaterxes

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:48 AM

Remember to say, "On this turn, there is nothing to find at those locations. You move past the enemy in the woods because neither of you see each other. The spaces look small, but they represent big locations. You don't take the same route every time and creatures don't stay still!

"Also, do you expect the tavern to be open at all hours? The city residents to always be available? Warlock to always be in his cave?"

I find that this explanation makes new players understand the movement rather than complain. :)

#2 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:22 AM

A useful thematic explanation, indeed.  I'll tuck that one away in case it ever comes up.

Everyone in our group is old enough to remember at least 2nd edition, so although we do truly enjoy the thematic elements of Talisman, we're also old enough to recognize that it's a game which was originally designed in the days when "roll and move" was a staple of board game design. "You have to move X spaces because you rolled an X, silly panda!"

Edited by Steve-O, 18 May 2014 - 09:22 AM.

#3 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 961 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:22 PM

There's so much to love about Talisman, that that particular criticism kind of grates on my nerves. It's like saying, "how come I have to dribble the basketball as I travel across the court?"

Because you're playing BASKETBALL!  :D

#4 Granville

Granville

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:16 PM

1.) Because you are not the werewolf figure. ;)

2.) Look at the artwork for the Wizard. See how retro he is? Welcome to a game a few decades old.

3.) The novelty of this game is how random it can be, embrace it and you will enjoy this game more.

4.) If you could land on the space you wanted, the game becomes less fun.  Have someone else play the Amazon or Black Witch for trolling potential.

5.) (I might be wrong here as I haven't had an opportunity to play it yet.) The game is not Relic.

#5 PzVIE

PzVIE

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:43 AM

The Talisman world isn't a connected ring of spaces ... the movement die roll is to determine what lies beyond the space you are currently in. The tavern is nothing but one tavern in a village you currently in - everytime you land on the space, you sure are in a different tavern. Same with the village, the city, the crags, the forest; in fact, every space (except, of course, the Inner Region!).  

So the board is nothing but an abstract display of a huge, big fantasy world. That's how I explain it :-)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS