• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ser Folly

Ser Folly

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:24 AM

Hi folks,

we are halfway through the Quest Heart of the Wild with a fairly easy win for me (OL) in encounter one. Between the objective as is and a good hand of movement cards there never was a chance for the heroes.

Now I've seen a number of threads saying that encounter 2 is a near automatic win for the OL. My question is whether that holds true after the adjustments in the Errata (you can now only sacrifice cursed monster only in the Wild Garden, which will be teeming with heroes, a wolf and Raythen...).

Additionally I'd ask for advice on the open group. Apparently a cursed group would come handy but apart from that I'm not decided. Initially I wanted to try Arachyuras but now I wonder whether something small and fast would not make it easier, getting to the garden.

My group consists of: Durik Beastmaster, Tomble Thief, Alric Disciple, Jane Fairwood and Raythen

I'm playing basic II with webtraps, curse of the monkey God, etc and the Eliza Farrow plot deck.

Monsters come from: Core, LoR, Lair of the Wyrm and Trollfens

Thanks for your ideas

Descent - Star Wars LCG - Netrunner - X-Wing - Arkham Horror - Elder Sign - Battlestar Galactica - Warhammer: Diskwars - Kingsburg - Edge of the Empire - Civilization - Bloodbowl Teammanager - Rune Age - Letters from Whitechapel - Cadwallon - Lord of the Rings LCG ... looks like I love FFG stuff :huh:

#2 Radish

Radish

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:25 AM

I was one of the people that first brought up that this quest was broken so I'd be really interested to know if the errata fixed the problem.  It sounds like it does but we haven't played that map since to check.

#3 Ser Folly

Ser Folly

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:02 AM

It sounds like it does but we haven't played that map since to check.

Frankly speaking it still seems way to easy. Assuming my nettraps work, I will move the archers into the bottleneck to the wild garden, open a way through the tentacles in the northern part of the map using a few flesh moulders and double move the flesh moulders and my first goblin witcher (is that the correct English name?) into the Archers starting position.

I now decided on goblin witchers because they are fast and numerous, cursed and the elite can move heroes blocking the bottleneck out of the way.

Descent - Star Wars LCG - Netrunner - X-Wing - Arkham Horror - Elder Sign - Battlestar Galactica - Warhammer: Diskwars - Kingsburg - Edge of the Empire - Civilization - Bloodbowl Teammanager - Rune Age - Letters from Whitechapel - Cadwallon - Lord of the Rings LCG ... looks like I love FFG stuff :huh:

#4 BentoSan

BentoSan

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:14 PM

I am actually about to play this quest as the OL, ill let you know how i go :)

• Ser Folly likes this

#5 Ser Folly

Ser Folly

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:18 PM

I'll face it the day after tomorrow. We'll see...

#6 Ser Folly

Ser Folly

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:55 PM

I am actually about to play this quest as the OL, ill let you know how i go :)

Well Bento San, have you tackled it already? I'm desperate for some first-hand impression...and it's only 23 hours before I'll confront the good and the greedy.

Edited by Ser Folly, 20 May 2014 - 12:56 PM.

#7 BentoSan

BentoSan

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:42 PM

Been working late nights, so havent had any time for Descent. Might get a chance this weekend though.

#8 Ser Folly

Ser Folly

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:48 PM

Just got home and I won...

It wasn't all that easy.

First two heroes managed to close the bottleneck at the wild garden, the rest was delayed by the two webtraps. My monsters started out clearing the tentacles on the northern part of the map and Archers tried to hit the two heroes on the wild garden. As Durik has an armor and Tomble was next to him that was of little use.

Next turn all the heroes moved into the wild garden and rested with Durik and Tomble blocking the entrance. I moved my Archers through the heroes and the blocking Overgrowth and directly in front of the special rule overgrowth. Fleshmoulders and Goblin witcher moved next to the pond in 4 spaces distance from the wild garden.

Then the heroes decided to first clear the archers from the wild garden and thus have a clear line of attack on the overgrowth. Tomble having an action left moved one square with fatigue to search the marker and then moved back into his blocking position next to Durik. But I had played curse of the monkey god. As he had no defense pool I easily killed him with the two reinforced goblins and then was able to move three fleshmoulders and one goblin witcher onto the wild Garden. Each having an action left to sacrifice themselves.

If Tomble hadn't been greedy, I would have had a much harder time.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS