1st, 2nd or 3rd for a Mordhime RPG

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Drop Bear 2.0

Drop Bear 2.0

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:42 AM

Ok my gaming group has dug out Mordhime, we may give up one of our 40K RPG's or extend out the rotation to slot in a Mordhime based Warhammer Fantasy game.

many years ago some of us played 1st with a GM who has since long departed our gaming circle, so out access to 1st ed books is in the 2nd hand sections of regional game stores.

If we go 2nd ed we will likely buy all the non adventure books we fell we need in PDF format.

we are not fans of Cards & Custom Dice (for RPG's) and those who have seen 3rd in play are less than impressed, but if folks are willing to make a case for 3rd we are willing to listen.

so what do folks recommend?

#2 Carcosa

Carcosa

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:03 AM

Spellcheck

• PiltharShokmeister likes this

#3 Carcosa

Carcosa

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:20 AM

Seriously however, I would use whatever system you guys feel comfortable with.

The mechanics of any RPG system can be ported into any world you or your players wish to explore. If the 40k rules set is your "go to system", then just alter the skills and such to reflect the universe you want to play in. I like 3rd ed WHFRP because it is *creative". I mean, sure it's some D10's, D8's and D6's with the number translation replacing the actual numbers, but it has a story friendly feel I have not seen since OWoD. You can fail with no successes, but you can get something good as well via boons. It allows for a completely organic process of things to happen with no need for "DM intervention", only DM interpretation.

3rd Ed is good as a very loose basis for many games, including itself, as long as you are willing to do the work to adapt it to what you want it to be.

#4 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,102 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:45 AM

Liber Fanatica 8 or 9 has an article on Mordheim and WFRP3.

Here's a dice roller: https://googledrive....ollers/wfrp3e/#

Here are your articles for your case for 3rd ed:http://www.fantasyfl...1&ecan=62&epn=0

Edited by Emirikol, 17 May 2014 - 01:40 PM.

#5 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:24 AM

we are not fans of Cards & Custom Dice (for RPG's) and those who have seen 3rd in play are less than impressed, but if folks are willing to make a case for 3rd we are willing to listen.

I have the impression you may complicate your lives by jumping into the 3rd edition.

The 2nd edition is very much the same as the 40K lines

Cheers,

Yepes

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#6 k7e9

k7e9

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:17 AM

I was sceptical about the cards and custom dice initially, but I decided to give it a shot. Now we've only played a handfull of sessions with other RPGs since I first picked up the core set in 2010. The game is not without flaws, but I've played with about 10 different people in total,both total RPG-beginners and seasoned RPG-veterans, and all agree that it is the best or among the best RPGs they've played.

Obviously the cards, tokens, custom dice and so on takes some getting used to, but once you've got the hang of it the system is great. So I'd recommend that you at least give it a shot, and play a bunch of sessions to get used to the game.

But if you know that you will not want to use  cards, tokens and so on, you should go with 2nd edition warhammer instead. While it's possible to play 3d edition without the components it just isn't as good, it works but not great.

#7 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,102 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:22 PM

This might be a good chance to hash some of the flaws (in our personal opinions) that we think we see with various editions.  I'm only going over the stuff that I don't care for (will become pretty obvious as I try to fairly bash each edition just off the top of my head having played each).

1e - Very out of print; career imbalances; uses boring a ss pecentile system; feels like D&D, but you're covered in puke and offal and there are hookers.

2e - Out of print; uses boring a ss percentile system; breakage for 2 weapon combat and more than one attack per round; having 5 different careers in no time flat is common and ridiculous; only the magic classes get their own love.  Talents are nothing more than D&D feats (see 3e as well). No special abilities for anyone but mages/priests.  Critical system waaaaaaay more complicated than it needs to be. Career compendium skipped the career entrance/exit completions from all non-core books, waaaaay too many skill categories (almost as bad as the BRP system by chaosium or GURPS); some spells broken.

3e - Recently out of print (essentially 2 years ago had they not dragged it out); dice out of print; dice not perfectly balanced for red/green for you math-obsessed types; without album sheets cards are a ***** to sort; no "players handbook 2" to summarize all post-core material (so you have to make your own); requires the player to pay attention and not just drop dice on the table like previous editions, Talent socketing is an absolutely retarded gamist mechanic, didn't get playtested long enough to clarify crap editing and instruction writing in the core box; Although can be played without any cards or chits at all (or even dice if you want a dice roller app), you have to put up with all the people that feel the need to perpetually whine about the fact that they think the game requires boardgame components.

Now, what do y'all think about those comments and do you have anything to add?  :)  

• Vorzakk and GMmL like this

#8 Vorzakk

Vorzakk

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:51 PM

Now, what do y'all think about those comments and do you have anything to add?   :)

1e) *BOL* That is the best assessment of that game (possibly any game) that I’ve ever heard.  :)

2e) All 100% valid complaints, though most I’ve been able to work around with fairly simple house rules.

3e) You’ve hit many of the reasons why I decided to stick with 2e.

#9 Drop Bear 2.0

Drop Bear 2.0

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:02 PM

FAB, I'm almost temped to just dig out our Home Brew "Mordhime RPG" from the early Naughties, a Fantasy version of our "Necromunda RPG" from the 90's that in turn was based off our 40K RPG cica 1990.

But I'm not going to be running this show nor paying for it, but the guy who will has more of a life (S.O., Kids and longer hours at work), so I'm the Research Monkey as I'm on a extended Admin Leave since head office botched my Security Re-Cirt.

#10 GMmL

GMmL

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:12 AM

I'd agree with JH that you're basically looking at a "lesser of the evils" type of situation there. I'm a huge advocate for/current GM of 3E but it would take some considerable time and money to get your campaign setting running with it. I'd go with 2E since you can grab pdf's on the cheap. 

#11 Ralzar

Ralzar

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:41 AM

I'm with GMmL here. While I would generally reccommend 3e, in your case 2e is probably the better way to go. Just invest in a few PDFs on drivethrurpg.com and you're good to go.

• x13phantom likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS