House Rules

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#41 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 02:38 PM

One bonus point of XP, for each triumph a PC rolls.

I don't like it, 

I agree, but more because:

a) it's a universal truth that you learn more from failure than success :) and

b) because I'd rather reward the narrative that comes out of mouth of the roller than the dice that come out of the hand.

• willmanx, Liloki, Josep Maria and 5 others like this

#42 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,712 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 02:52 PM

I agree.  Our GM rewards based on being true to Motivations, success is irrelevant, our Trandoshan pitfighter/Marauder went with his gambling/fighting fetish and took an epic beating last night in an arena fight on The Wheel, cost us all money in bets, and we got 5xp for the true to form play. 

Edited by 2P51, 31 May 2014 - 02:53 PM.

• whafrog, RedfordBlade and Ranger1060 like this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze  and D&D 5E  Swords for Adventure

#43 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,188 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 05:40 PM

@Happy...Both Piloting skills?? What Driver & Pilot??

Piloting (Planetary) and Piloting (Space) are what I'm referring to in the above post. Several characters in the group have ranks in one or both skills.

• Lancer999 likes this

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#44 Skie

Skie

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:06 AM

We've been trying different variants here and there, but one that the whole group uniformly agreed to:

If you don't have the skill needed for a check and are rolling your attribute only, upgrade the checks difficulty once.

Reasoning: this way it pays to have skills not only high attributes, since there is a chance for despair.

• Lancer999 likes this

#45 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,188 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:26 AM

My group also ignores the part of vehicle modifications where replacing a mounted weapon with another weapon requires a hard point if the new weapon is a set of linked weapons. We don't feel that there is any good reason that replacing a twin medium laser cannon with a twin light ion cannon should require a hard point.

• willmanx likes this

#46 TXRyanLee

TXRyanLee

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:01 PM

Our House Rule for the Mechanic skill:
You can specialize in a specific category of mechanics: droids, weapon modifications, armor modifications, planetary vehicles, starship vehicles.
Mechanical rolls are normal for all skill checks, unless it falls under your specific specialization. Anything being worked on that your specialized in requires one less difficulty die.

Our ship's mechanic is good with our starship, but she's exceptional when working on vehicles, especially swoops and podracers.
  • willmanx likes this

The bounty hunter's ship was fast! As he gained on them, coming up quickly behind her ship, Mina checked her sensors... and took a gamble... "I'm gonna hit the braking thrusters and he'll fly right by..." - Mina "Maverick" Kaylo

#47 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,188 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:24 PM

I allow the following Mod for Concussion Missile Launchers and Proton Torpedo Launchers added as Upgraded Weapons (but not to launchers already mounted):

5 Quality (Limited Ammo +1) Mods. The cost for these Mods increase by +50% per rank of Linked on the launcher.

• willmanx likes this

#48 hencook

hencook

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:57 PM

My gamers are abusing Aim Aim Shoot. I'm tired of it. Honestly, I think they are too, but Aim Aim Shoot is just too good. I want to make Aim cost 1 strain, so if you want to Aim Aim Shoot, that's 4 strain you just took. Orrrr maybe I should just have a talk with my gamers, and tell them winning isn't everything, and please do cool things when I draw all these cool maps and they just stand in place and aim aim shoot.

What do you guys think?

#49 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:38 PM

My gamers are abusing Aim Aim Shoot. I'm tired of it. Honestly, I think they are too, but Aim Aim Shoot is just too good. I want to make Aim cost 1 strain, so if you want to Aim Aim Shoot, that's 4 strain you just took. Orrrr maybe I should just have a talk with my gamers, and tell them winning isn't everything, and please do cool things when I draw all these cool maps and they just stand in place and aim aim shoot.

What do you guys think?

Rather than imposing a penalty for using using their maneuvers to aim, try and come up with circumstances to where it's better to use their maneuvers doing something else.

Are the players reaching for cover? you can use a few advantages to negate their cover.

Lean on threats to inflict strain, if it costs 2 strain to double aim, they're not going to want to do it so often if they're soon running out of strain.

I'm sure others here are far more creative than I am, they're bound to have better suggestions.

• whafrog, Kager and dougansf like this

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#50 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 4,549 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:01 PM

What do you guys think?

I'd suggest talking with your group, and let them know that you think they're abusing the rules.

But at the same time, consider introducing encounters where standing still (which is pretty much required for the 2xAim&Shoot tactic) is a bad idea.  Put them in terrain that requires them to spend a maneuver each round to make a Coordination check to avoid falling prone, such as a fast-moving conveyor belt.  Have the combat area be subject in the midst of a bombardment, orbital or otherwise, and if the PCs don't spend a maneuver each round to keep on the move to avoid incoming artillery fire, they wind up taking Blast damage (not enough to kill them, but enough to deal a few Wounds each turn from debris and shrapnel).  Set up encounters that are chase sequences on foot, and if the PCs don't spend at least one maneuver each round to keep up with the quarry, then said quarry will quickly get away.

And as Kaesoe mentioned, spend that Threat to hit them with Strain.  Unlike most other uses of Threat, you can trigger that one multiple times per roll, just as PCs can spend multiple Advantage to recover Strain.  Have NPCs occasionally use weapons that deal out Stun damage, either as the Active quality or due to the Stun Setting on their blasters.

Obviously don't do those sorts of things all the time, but every so often build encounters that either require the PCs to spend their free maneuver on something other than Aim, or require them to be very judicious in how much Strain they expend during an encounter.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#51 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,712 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:15 PM

What do you guys think?

They must not have much else they are spending Strain on.  I use AX2 in fights but at times have to cool it because of Strain issues.  Not sure what constitutes abusing it though in your opinion.  Seems like if you start imposing too many contrivances to discourage it constantly you're kind of abusing the rules too don't you think? Without details of encounters I can't really say one way or another honestly.

Edited by 2P51, 05 June 2014 - 04:15 PM.

• Ranger1060 likes this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze  and D&D 5E  Swords for Adventure

#52 hencook

hencook

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:41 PM

I probably shouldn't have said "abusing", and should have said "cheesing/spamming". I'll throw in about 40% combat, and they still just spam it. I also failed to mention that I've already been taking their strain from other sources, as suggested. They can't always do a double aim, similar to P251's post, but when they feel like their strain is lowering, they do single aim instead.

I guess I do have to have the chat with them. I mean, what's the point of playing fun combat if the players aren't going to make it fun?

One of the players is an exception to this though. He's doing just fine, not spamming X2 Aim as nearly as much. I kind of want to reward that style of play, but he's not always successful as X2 aim is. Maybe reducing the house rule nerf so that it's just 1 strain for the first aim?

There's the three main approaches to a player problem like this: 1. Resolve the problem out of game. 2. Correct the problem with in-game situations. 3. House rule. I'm thinking this could be a good situation where the house rule is merited, and everyone can stand to benefit from it.

Edited by hencook, 05 June 2014 - 05:45 PM.

#53 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,712 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:56 PM

If you want to encourage more dramatic narrative I wouldn't do that with punitive actions because no one likes getting smacked.  I would instead use the carrot and not the stick. Have someone do the ol 'jump through the air shooting two pistols at once while diving behind cover' and give them an Aim and an Upgrade for cinematic flair. How about the no handed cartwheel while firing move?  Running off the wall firing, ala Matrix?  Our Marauder did the 'leap from the catwalk double handed over head vibro axe chop' and the GM gave him bonuses for the cinematic combat move.  The 'aim' shouldn't be to penalize players for using a maneuver that both works mechanically, as well as, makes perfect realistic sense (aiming guns makes them more accurate) it should be to reward dramatic cinematic combat moves in a similar fashion.  Just my opinion.

Edited by 2P51, 05 June 2014 - 05:57 PM.

• kaosoe, iandimitri and Ranger1060 like this

#54 Inquisitor Tremayne

Inquisitor Tremayne

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:55 PM

Hit them where it hurts = XP.  If they are not doing anything interesting they get crap xp, the minimum.  If they start doing exciting things they get more xp.  Simple as that.

#55 hencook

hencook

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:57 PM

More like reward good play with XP

• Inquisitor Tremayne and dougansf like this

#56 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:42 PM

40% doesn't sound too bad. My players use it about as often as that and it doesn't seem a problem. I ran an AoR beta game a few months ago. I had a player who rolled a gunner/sharpshooter with 2 ranks in True Aim. When he double aimed he got to upgrade twice as well as get his 2 boost die, that's a bit more frustrating.

• willmanx and 2P51 like this

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#57 Sylrae

Sylrae

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:43 AM

Hmm.

I run a really unconventional game, in that I'm not using the Starwars Setting, I'm doin a weird SciFi Mashup thing.

Here's my current working list:

Custom List of Races

(Pulled from a variety of SciFi sources).

Custom List of Equipment

(Mostly comprehensive, but slug-guns are arguably as good as energy weapons, just different, and there are some stun-only weapons as well).

Custom List of Vehicles

Mostly terrestrial vehicles, slying vessels are uncommon, hyperdrives are very uncommon. Travel is mostly by stargate.

Core Worlds/Outer Rim are now Civilized Cultures/Uncivilized Cultures.

Finesse Melee Skill is a thing (its what's used for Lightsabers, Lightfoils, Whips, Rapiers, etc.)

Pilot Terrestrial and Pilot Space are now Drive and Pilot. Drive covers Land/Sea craft, Pilot covers Air/Spacecraft.

Character Creation: Characters start with 5k credits worth of stuff, and the group starts with 20k in vehicles; and The "Base" XP is only for attributes. Players then get a 100xp headstart, with which they buy skills and talents and whatnot, but can buy no skills above 4.

Disengaging from melee: In addition to the usual maneuver to disengage from melee, you can spend an additional maneuver to disengage safely. if you don't, your opponents (so long as their melee/finesse/brawl is at least rank 2 and they're not using an improvised weapon) can preemptively use a maneuver from their next turn to get a free attack on you now. If they hit and either do damage or trigger a quality (for weapons that dont do damage) you take the hit, and fail to disengage. If you still have an action, you can try to use the action still.

#58 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:36 AM

I am also using the the house rules for astrogation posted by FreeXenon

and the following for the fly / drive maneuver

FLY / DRIVE

Pilot Only: Yes

Silhouette: Any

Speed: Any

This starship maneuver reflects the simple act of moving the ship or vehicle closer or further away from something at its current speed. The number of starship maneuvers required for a ship or vehicle to move through a given number of range bands is dependent on its speed. It is important to remember that range is based on the moving ship's perspective, ant is not a measure of actual physical distance.

Moving between one range band and the next always takes two maneuvers with the following exceptions:

Speed 0: The ship or vehicle is not moving and cannot use this starship maneuver until it accelerates.

Speed 1: One starship maneuver to move within Close range of a target or object.

Speed 2: As Speed 1, plus one starship maneuver to move from Close ↔ Short range

Speed 3: As Speed 1, plus one starship maneuver to move from Close ↔ Short and Short ↔ Medium

Speed 4: As Speed 1, plus one starship maneuver to move from Close ↔ Medium range

Speed 5: As Speed 1, plus one starship maneuver to move from Close ↔ Medium and Medium ↔ Long

Speed 6: As Speed 1, plus one starship maneuver to move from Close ↔ Medium and Medium ↔ Extreme

Edited by Yepesnopes, 06 June 2014 - 04:38 AM.

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#59 sithlord71

sithlord71

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:26 PM

Since force users are all but extinct,i allow force powers to be upgraded at a rate of 1 upgrade per two scenarios,with the expenditure of xp as normal.So if the character has all three force powers,they must choose which force power they will spend the xp on to upgrade once.This takes longer to really master force powers,as it should be.(This may change once the Force and Destiny rule book is released next year.)

• kaosoe and 2P51 like this

#60 Josep Maria

Josep Maria

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:46 PM

UPDATE

- Lightsaber: Breach X (Can bypass anything not-based on energy).

- No use of "Cortosis" because seems that doesn't exist in Canon any non-energy saber resistant material.

- Separated Vehicle (or light armoured) and Starship (or heavy armoured) scale. x5 and x10. We are still looking for "possible bugs".

- We decided to let several Force Commits to use and stack.

- Character creation based on NPC constructions called "Pick what you need to build up your char".

Tests and future houserules:

- Also we are considering that shields gives also Soak or Armor. We are still studying it.

- Again we are considering to use the active combat skill as Defense or another similar is substract active combat skill and add it to Defense.

• willmanx likes this

Be brave and listen to your heart.

6,001 Profile Views. 305 Likes.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS