127 replies to this topic

#21 R2builder

R2builder

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:03 AM

Ugh...Lancer...what a noob!! :)
I'm just messing with you man!
First off, I want to thank everyone on this thread for being polite and respectful to each other! Sometimes when we disagree we can tend to get a bit heated, and perhaps misunderstand the written word.
So to everyone, please do not mistake any of stupid dry jokes as anything but a poor attempt at humor. :)
For those that like to use house rules, be it a couple, or a couple chapters :) I hope you and your players all enjoy your game! (No sarcasm). House rules can be good, but yeah, I definitely feel that everyone at the table has to agree to them. I had talked about using the opposed roll thing with my force user player, and he was totally against, and I became against the idea for my game as well then. When new house rules get sprung up at that moment can make some people feel cheated. I'm am not accusing anyone of being a noob, except Lancer, :) or not knowing the rules, the game, or how to GM. Or being a bad GM.
I have played some RPGs that in no way, shape, or form resembled the Rule Book. You just had to let the GM/DM tell you everything. Not really my kind of game.
Now back to the original topic.
I did house rule and use the special power cards that were put up here on the forum. They were pretty fun. I also use a thing I call "Panache Dice". These are special dice that the GM (me) can award to the players for saying a really cool one liner, or having a good idea. It just kind of encourages good ideas and good role playing. They can spend the special die when they want to and it can give them a bonus success or two or an extra advantage. So nothing spectacular, but a little something extra.
  • Josep Maria, derroehre and LibrariaNPC like this

Please check out our group and leave comments at: https://edge-of-the-...dianportal.com/

#22 Phantom5582

Phantom5582

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 02:31 AM

Obligation: At character creation I, the GM, will determine a characters Obligation.

I'm not sure if I can get behind this rule mainly because what if the player has an obligation in mind for the character? Like for the character I'm thinking up, she found the schematics to the  Merr-Sonn Model MSD-32 disruptor pistol, http://starwars.wiki...isruptor_pistol , and this could get her a bounty or marked as a criminal. Now I can see you, as the GM, overriding what the player wants as their obligation if it makes better sense to have another one instead.

#23 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:25 AM

These are my house rules:

-Soak: A character's (and NPCs ofcourse) default soak value is zeroSoak is most commonly gained by wearing armor. Some talents or special abilities may also increase a character's innate soak value.

-Damage: 1) All ranged weapons but those with the breach quality reduce their damge by 2. 2Brawn is not added to the damage inflicted by melee or brawling weapons (notice that damage due to brawn is already taken into account by the number of successes coming from the dice pool). All melee weapons have their damaged increased by 2  and all brawling weapons have their damage increased by 1.

Wookiees

Substitute the entry for Wookies found in page 53 of the core book with the following:

Brawn: 4

Cunning: 1

-Trandoshans

Substitute the entry for Trandoshans found in page 51 of the core book with the following:

Wound threshold: 13 + Brawn

Claws: Trandoshan’s claws count as combat knifes. In combat they can be used as single or two weapons.

I have a couple more, but they are minor.

Cheers,

Yepes

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#24 Hedgehobbit

Hedgehobbit

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 01:34 PM

These are my house rules:

-Soak: A character's (and NPCs ofcourse) default soak value is zeroSoak is most commonly gained by wearing armor. Some talents or special abilities may also increase a character's innate soak value.

I've though of doing something similar but still use Brawn to add to Soak for brawling type combats. So a bar fight is less lethal.  

• Yepesnopes likes this

#25 khaali

khaali

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:47 AM

For character creation / evolution I have almost the same house rules as several of you:

- characters slightly stronger at creation (with free second specialization)

- less XP per session (5-10)

- all skills have the same cost (career and spe skills only used at creation);

In combat:

- I use stances: a character can choose to expose himself, (increasing his ability to shoot but also the risks of being shot) or to maximize covert (hard to aim for him but also for adversaries);

- For critical wounds I use WFRP3 rules and cards (I will make my own, with SW look&feel, when I have time), because it's so faster and more convenient than a crit table;

- for chasing I use house rules based on biding, inspired a french game (COPS) and modified for SW dices.

Edited by khaali, 25 May 2014 - 07:48 AM.

#26 Hedgehobbit

Hedgehobbit

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:35 PM

- For critical wounds I use WFRP3 rules and cards (I will make my own, with SW look&feel, when I have time), because it's so faster and more convenient than a crit table;

- for chasing I use house rules based on biding, inspired a french game (COPS) and modified for SW dices.

I thought about using critical hit cards. How do they work in WFRP3?

As for chases, the old James Bond game ('83) had a chase mechanic where each player would bid on the difficulty (abstractly reflecting speed) to see who got to go first and choose the main maneuver. Way more narrative than the system in EotE. I'd like to see a port of something like that.

Edited by Hedgehobbit, 25 May 2014 - 02:36 PM.

• Jamwes likes this

#27 khaali

khaali

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:00 AM

I thought about using critical hit cards. How do they work in WFRP3?

s-whcrits.jpg

The wound is picked up in the wound deck.

each card has the description of the wound, the mechanics when relevant (black dice on some tests, ect.), and a severity value.

The player will keep the card with his character sheet for as long as the wound hasn't healed, so he always have the technical info available (and a constant reminder of his limping ;) )

If he has several critical wounds, the severity adds up and some advanced cards have a treshold: if the added severity is more than the treshold, a more severe effect happen, like this:

card-severed-leg-1.png

#28 JoraanSett

JoraanSett

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:49 AM

We use the house-rule for permanent adjustment of a Characteristic as well (Changing all secondary stats based on that Characteristic, etc. It just seems silly that this would not increase Wound and Stun Threshold, and to be honest, we just kinda assumed it was that way from all the way back in beta and never looked to see if it was different. 

Our Dogfight house-rules are very similar to Joker Two, with opposed Piloting skill rolls as maneuvers against an enemy ship (Or a flight of minions, etc.). We even do the Successes or Failures modifying the relative arcs and such on both sides along with flopping it for maneuvering defensively. I hadn't thought about Guided gaining Prepare 1. We use these as well for most contested vehicle situations. This seems to work very well.

We also heavily use player descriptions of their actions during combat, to set up the pools of Boost and Setback dice. They have learned that if they do not think it through,they will be hit by nearly every shot, the range difficulty are not enough alone for defense.

For modifying Hyperdive's to a rating faster than 1, we do a .25 per modification option (If the drive is initially a 1, then the potential three .25's make it a .25 past lightspeed).

​I had rules for upgrading other aspects (Such as maneuvering and power-plants) for starships and vehicles before the Jewel of Yavin sourcebook (Though those are just for vehicles), but have now tweaked them to fit the speeder and swoop mods from that book. I treat modifications on weapons systems as their own upgrades (Including targeting) and as such gave ship and vehicle weapons their own hardpoints.

Another thing is I gave some starships (such as the A-Wing,  R-22 Spearhead, Eta Actis or the Aethersprite) a smaller silhouette (2) as they really are speeder sized little buggers.

#29 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 4,029 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:04 PM

One house rule I've been considering after running a series on of one-off starship scenarios with some friends so that I could get a better handle on starship combats is to change Gain the Advantage a bit.  Instead of it costing the pilot's Action, it's an Incidental, and the pilot has to get into Close Range with the targeted ship.  This would give a good justification for having a really good Piloting score, as pilots are constantly jockeying for position in a dogfight rather than simply blasting away.  We found that in most cases, it was simply better to use one's Action to attack since Evasive Maneuvers really didn't inflict that much of a penalty on the attacker.

Another one that I've debated adding is to change Evasive Maneuvers so that it upgrades the difficulty of incoming attacks once if taken as a Maneuver, but if taken as an Action then it upgrades the difficulty of incoming attacks a number of times equal to the pilot's rank in Piloting, thus enabling a skilled pilot that wants to avoid getting their hindquarters shot off the chance to do so.

Admittedly, the work I've done for the Unofficial Species Menagerie and Ways of the Force themselves count as "house rules," but I don't always make use of those even in my own games.

• derroehre, Raistlinrox and JoraanSett like this

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#30 hencook

hencook

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:49 PM

Seeking critiques for my house rules that I haven't put into effect yet.

"Harsher Obligations"

1. When your obligation is rolled, your obligation gains the text "-2 obligation value, and the player's choice of either -1 strain threshold or +5 critical injury to his/her own critical injury rolls. This text stacks every time your obligation is rolled, and having an obligation value of 0 does not remove the obligation" A PC can completely remove the obligation through in-game actions ergo removing the stacked penalties as well.

2. Normal obligation penalties no longer apply. Rolling doubles on an obligation does not apply either. You and your party do not get a temporary strain threshold penalty when any obligations are rolled.

3. Obligations are now removable, instead of the Obligation 5 minimum. A character is allowed to have no obligations at all. A PC may now involuntarily gain an obligation, instead of the general spirit that only a player may take on an obligation.

Reason for change: Makes obligation harsher on the players (so they don't just take them recklessly). Now, I could do this non-mechanically by simply making obligation type encounters more difficult than normal, but I wanted to have a universal mechanical fix for this, because -1 or -2 strain threshold really isn't difficult enough for people to care. As a rider to this bill, you can also remove obligations, which is pretty much needed because a player would eventually be running around with -5 strain threshold at all times.

"Double Roll"

When a player makes a check that certainly uses two skills at the same time, you make both checks and allow the first "minor" check to modify the main "major" check. Example: You are trying to extract venom from a foreign snake. Venom is a poison, so it falls into Medicine, but it's also from a snake, so that's Xenology.

1. A double roll is called for in the example, and is not optional to the player. The Player declares which of his skills should be the minor and which to be the major skill.

2. Roll the minor first. The difficulty of the minor roll is not necessarily the same as the major, but for the most part, it's going to be. After that, you roll the Major roll, except the you can consult the minor roll's adjustment table as follows:

At least 1 success: Allows any of the following bonuses to apply to the Major roll.

1 success (after the first success) for 1 boost die.

2 advantage for 1 boost die.

Triumph can be traded for 2 boost dice, unless the GM can come up with something extraordinary with the Triumph.

At least 1 failure: Allows any of the following penalties to apply to the Major roll.

1 failure (after the first failure) for 1 setback.

2 threat for 1 setback die.

Despair can be traded for 2 setback dice, unless the GM can come up with something extraordinary with the Setback.

Reason for change:

Nothing really changes except now players can use two skills at once. Adds a bit of realism and could eventually reward creative thinking.

"Harsher critical injuries"

Rule: When you heal a critical injury, you can only heal half of it, so +10 crit injury becomes +5. After the day of initial treatment, you may make a medicine check at 1 lower difficulty to heal the target and lower his critical injury by 1 point per day.

Reason for change: As stated somewhere else on this forum, Doctors just seemingly make teams invulnerable from the effects of lasting critical injuries. I don't necessarily like this rule because it unreasonably penalizes the Doctor specialization, but I'm not sure what else I can do, so critiques and further proposed changes would be appreciated for this one.

#31 Kager

Kager

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:25 PM

One bonus point of XP, for each triumph a PC rolls.

Edited by Kager, 30 May 2014 - 07:25 PM.

• Raistlinrox likes this

#32 hencook

hencook

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:32 PM

I don't like it, it makes "rolling for rolling's sake" very good. Players might knowledge check everything, and players with a generalized skill set will eventually have more XP. A face type character is going to charm everyone for XP's sake. It's too easy to game, and it's difficult to tell when a player is trying to game the system, even if that player is inadvertently doing so. Not all players at the table make the same amount of checks, and proactive ones will usually try to do something before anyone else gets a chance.

I could easily imagine someone gaining a massive XP lead over other players from a variety of reasons, purposefully or not.

What is your experience with that houserule?

Edited by hencook, 30 May 2014 - 07:35 PM.

#33 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,918 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:05 PM

I don't like it, it makes "rolling for rolling's sake" very good. Players might knowledge check everything, and players with a generalized skill set will eventually have more XP. A face type character is going to charm everyone for XP's sake. It's too easy to game, and it's difficult to tell when a player is trying to game the system, even if that player is inadvertently doing so. Not all players at the table make the same amount of checks, and proactive ones will usually try to do something before anyone else gets a chance.

I could easily imagine someone gaining a massive XP lead over other players from a variety of reasons, purposefully or not.

I agree that I don't like the likely outcomes of that rule. I'd even rather see PCs gaining extra XP for Despairs rather than Triumphs if something like this has to be done.
  • Kager likes this

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#34 Raistlinrox

Raistlinrox

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:27 PM

I did something kinda similar in D&D 3.5, whenever a character rolled a 20 on a skill check, they put a pip next to that skill.  After 3 pips, they were given a point of "misc bonus".  Now, these only counted when I asked for a skill check, not whenever they decided they wanted to make one for themselves, so it was limited to when I wanted them to have the chance for it.  I think adding a bonus rank in this game would be extremely over-powered, so I like the bonus XP, but maybe not with EVERY Triumph...maybe every 3.  Or give a discount on their next rank, or something.

My own house rule I use, and haven't had any resistance come about from any of the players, is that a Force-sensitive character gets to roll additional Force dice for each rank of Force User they have, at the beginning of the session for the LS/DS pool.  Works out well so far, since it can be good or bad for them, and even if it's good, it'll eventually be bad when the bonus points are flipped!

Edited by Raistlinrox, 30 May 2014 - 11:28 PM.

#35 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,918 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:54 PM

I remembered another one from last game: Increases to Speed from Full Throttle do allow a vehicle to perform actions and maneuvers that require the higher Speed. This only applies so long as the talent remains in effect. This hasn't come up in the current game since no one is playing a Pilot (by Specialization, several have ranks in either or both Piloting skills).

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#36 Lancer999

Lancer999

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:11 AM

@Happy...Both Piloting skills?? What Driver & Pilot??

"Make sure your shields are on Double Front, or you'll get your @$$ shot off!"

#37 Kager

Kager

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:38 AM

I agree that I don't like the likely outcomes of that rule. I'd even rather see PCs gaining extra XP for Despairs rather than Triumphs if something like this has to be done.

As of yet, it hasn't been abused but if it does, I do like the idea of changing it to Dispairs.
Thanks

#38 Kager

Kager

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:40 AM

When dog fighting, I also make all piloting checks an opposed roll, unless the player is rolling on a talent.

#39 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:51 AM

See, to me, +1 XP is NOTHING in this system. And you can't roll unless the GM allows it, which prevents the "rolling for the sake of rolling" issue.

#40 Raistlinrox

Raistlinrox

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 02:32 PM

1 may not be much, but what if you roll 5 Triumphs in a night?  Boom, 5 xp.  I like it.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS