Wes, Wedge and Biggs

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Soss

Soss

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:27 AM

So I got a chance to play this list I have been thinking about and I was really surprised with how effective it was. Granted I got one 100 point game in and the. A team game were we each had 100 points.

Wes: Veteran Instincts
Wedge: flachette Torpedoes, R2 and Opportunitist
Biggs: R2-D2 and Shield Upgrade

I flew Biggs and Wedge next to each other and Wes behind. Wes shoots at Pilot Skill 10 and clears focus or evade and then Wedge cleans up. The Toroedoes are for the first shot at long range, hopefully the stress they get will make it easier next turn for Opportunist to go off and the R2 helps to clear the stress. Biggs just helps to keep the Wes and Wedge combo going.

What do you think?

#2 Marten

Marten

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:16 AM

I'm not primarily a Rebel player, BUT, I really like the new toys that they are getting.

Maybe something like this:

Wedge Antilles — X-Wing 29
Push the Limit 3
R2 Astromech 1

Wes Janson — X-Wing 29
Veteran Instincts 1
Flechette Torpedoes 2
R3-A2 2

Biggs Darklighter — X-Wing 25
R2-D2 4
Shield Upgrade 4

First round of shooting Wes puts out double stress AND clears focus/evade.
Wedge can you PTL on first round of shooting to get as many hits through as possible.

Don't know if it works in practice :)

• flaick likes this

#3 berusplants

berusplants

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:09 AM

Looks pretty good, but surely its better to have Biggs behind so that he is getting shot at range 3 whilst W&W shoot at range two?

• Galactic Funk likes this

4 Ties, 1 Advanced, 2 Bombers, 3 Squints (inc Aces), 2 Defenders, 1 Phantom, 1 Firespray and a Shuttle.

3Xs, 2Ys 3Bs, 2As (inc Aces), 1E, 2Z95s, 1 HWK, 1 YT1200 and a Transport.

#4 Wookie Hunter

Wookie Hunter

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:33 AM

Keeping Biggs behind is not easy with 2 9's and higher so I dont think that would work.

• berusplants likes this

X-Wing Imperials:  8 Tie Fighter's, 2 Tie Advanced, 4 Tie Interceptor's, 4 Royal Guard Tie Interceptor's, 2 Firespray 31's, 2 Shuttle's, 5 Tie Bomber's, 1 Tie Defender, 1 Tie Phantom

X-Wing Rebels:  7 X-Wing's, 2 Y-Wing's, 4 A-Wing's, 2 YT-1300's, 4 B-Wing's, 3 Hawk 290's, 1 Rebel Transport, 1 Corellian Corvette

Dust Tactics:  Koshka Premium Starter Set

#5 Breaking The Law

Breaking The Law

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:30 AM

I ran this at a tournament a few weeks ago. It's a very good build.

Wedge-r2, ptl, engine upgrade

Wes-r3a2, vet instincts, hull upgrade

Biggs-hull upgrade

I think of it as a Dota 2 team.

You have Biggs, who is your initiator. His job is to tank enemy firepower and absorb shots. He isn't around for the end of the fight, but he lets your other guys mess people up for a while without taking damage themselves.

Wedge is your ganker/team fight all start/big mean fighty dude. He just **** people up right and left, and should be doing most of the damage.

Wes is your disabler. Dropping tokens off enemy ships while stressing them is critical. R3-A2 is a gimmick, but an extremely useful one. If someone is forced to stress and you can hit them with it they are in a world of pain. Ships with very few greens can also be hurt by it. It's not something you rely on, but for 2 points is a great upgrade. Letting Wes shoot before Wedge means you can very quickly drop a ship like Soontir Fel, and deny a falcon any actions that turn.

You deploy after most fleets, so what I generally do is put Wedge/Biggs right across from the enemy for the joust, and then have Wes deploy half the board distance away or so, and he flanks. This puts the enemy in the awkward position of having Wes freely plink away while they have to deal with Wedge/Biggs, Generally, the game is won or lost by how Wes flies, and a lot of people ignore him, meaning you win more than you should.

Edited by Breaking The Law, 16 May 2014 - 04:34 AM.

#6 Dm1012

Dm1012

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:49 AM

With these three ship rebel combos, in any of the more common varieties, how do you deal with Biggs and a ywing? Biggs is easy enough to focus on and eliminate but I am getting hammered in the mid to long game when the y ions one of your all stars leaving the b's to tail and smoke you.

#7 Osoroshii

Osoroshii

龍神

• Members
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:23 AM

I played a 3 X-Wing build to the Top 4 at regionals. My build was a little different than the OP suggested. I ran Wes, Wedge and Luke giving Opportunist to both Wedge and Luke. I worked on this build for a month before regionals and I can tell you it is the answer to the 4 ship rebel builds. My list does struggle vs Swarms but dominates over other rebel builds. A true Rock, Paper, Scissors for the meta. 

I feel as though the meta will shift as wave 4 comes out and players start to include Phantoms and Defenders. This will bring the ship counts down and increase the effectiveness of the Triple X build. Most players here have played Magic The Gathering, and some competitively. Red Deck Wins is where I see swarms living in the X-Wing meta. By this I mean it will always be a good squad but its success will swing back and forth like a pendulum. As Blount shows up to kill off Swarms it will force it out of the meta and reduce the need to run anti-swarm tactics. so there is the two sides of the swing. As swarms die out the triple X will become more prudent and the swing continues. This is a truly healthy format for competitive play.

#8 Dagonet

Dagonet

• Members
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:30 AM

Blount, of course, being a White Weenie.

• InvestFDC, Osoroshii and Johdo like this

#9 Dm1012

Dm1012

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:33 AM

I'm running with Jek, Luke and Garven. Jek has Opp, hull and R5-D8, Luke the usual, shiel and R2-D2, Garven with Vet.
IMO Jek is a stunning option for Opp as he sheds the stress at will. I think he will be a potential joust with the defender (essentially a white k-turn). Garven is there to load Jek up if he needs to use the 'mech or to hand a double focus to Luke for off/def.

It crushes early but just can't seem to avoid the ioning y. I definitely think I need to try and approach the y from a flank, or perhaps ignore it and try and focus down one of the b's.

It is a ton of fun to play, easily my favourite rebel list ATM!

I'll persevere with it as I want to run it at regionals.

#10 Osoroshii

Osoroshii

龍神

• Members
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:34 AM

Triple X is Big Green Fatties! 

Ion and newly Stress creators is Control

Who is Mid Range why its the 4 ships rebel builds

Coming from another competitive scene has made it a little easier to see and understand the Meta of X-Wing 

#11 Dm1012

Dm1012

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:38 AM

I've just got to name it! Whether successful as a list or not I just think there are to many good opportunities (excuse the pun) for 'Porkins' in a squad name!

#12 Dagonet

Dagonet

• Members
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:55 AM

You just bring home the bacon.
  • Dm1012 likes this

#13 Soss

Soss

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:18 AM

I will have to try my list against some Ion y-wings and B-wings. My thought on this is to fire on the Y-wings first and then stay at a distance. If I can stay at range 3 it keeps Biggs alive longer and out of Ion range and I think the Wes and Wedge combo can still be effective at that range, especially against low agility ships.

The swarms would be tricky. Not sure how to go against that one. Targeting Howlrunner would be priority but that would put you in range of all the other ships.

#14 Krynn007

Krynn007

Shinigami

• Members
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:20 PM

I haven't tried this yet, but think it sounds pretty promising. Though one upgrade is from the ewing
Wes
R5-P9

Wedge
Opportunist
R7-t1

Luke
Opportunist
Rebels4 xwing, 2 awings, 2 bwings,1 ywing, 1 Falcon, 1hwk, 1 ewing, 2 z95,1 reb aces, 1 transport, 1 Tantive,
Imperials
6 tie/ft, 2 squints, 1 aces, 4 bombers, 1 tie adv, 1 shuttle, 2 Firespray, 2 phantom, 1 tie defender

#15 Dagonet

Dagonet

• Members
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:18 PM

I haven't tried this yet, but think it sounds pretty promising. Though one upgrade is from the ewing
Wes
R5-P9

Wedge
Opportunist
R7-t1

Luke
Opportunist

In this case, Wes wil shoot after Wedge, which isn't very optimal, as it means Wedge's Opportunist is circumstantial.

#16 Ghost Dancer

Ghost Dancer

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:15 AM

I was trying out a few builds with some of the new X-Wing pilots and this one was very effective:

Wes Janson
Veteran Instincts

Wedge Antilles
Opportunist
R2-D2

Jek Porkins
Opportunist
R5-D8

Only tried it against TIEs but chewed them up and spat them out ;)  Obviously, luck is a factor with Jek's ability but soaking the stress after Opp or a K-turn is very handy.

Edited by Ghost Dancer, 17 May 2014 - 09:16 AM.

• Osoroshii likes this

#17 Krynn007

Krynn007

Shinigami

• Members
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:20 AM

Wes
R5-P9
Wedge
Opportunist
R7-t1
Luke
Opportunist

In this case, Wes wil shoot after Wedge, which isn't very optimal, as it means Wedge's Opportunist is circumstantial.
Damn, for some reason I was thinking he had a ps9.
Ya then VI on him instead of that R2 unit

Wes
VI
R3-a2

Wedge
Opportunist
R5-p9

Luke
Opportunist

Edited by Krynn007, 17 May 2014 - 09:23 AM.

Rebels4 xwing, 2 awings, 2 bwings,1 ywing, 1 Falcon, 1hwk, 1 ewing, 2 z95,1 reb aces, 1 transport, 1 Tantive,
Imperials
6 tie/ft, 2 squints, 1 aces, 4 bombers, 1 tie adv, 1 shuttle, 2 Firespray, 2 phantom, 1 tie defender

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS