17 replies to this topic

#1 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:26 PM

This is what I am looking for-
I love watching good battle reports but I have a few criteria -
1- the people playing should be at least as good as me. Nothing kills me more than watching people play and the players obviously don't know the rules or do stupid things like forget how focus works. I wouldn't call myself a great player, but I do know how to play, how the rules work and what the FAQs say.
2- I need to be able to see what is going on. What is the point of watching a video of cool figures if the quality is poor.
3- This is the least important, but I would prefer if their was some good editing, fast forwarding. Not too much. I don't really care for the battle reports where you just get a recap after each turn. I want to see the dice rolls and all, I would prefer if the movement phase went buy a little faster.

The best videos I have seen are the Team Covenant. Miniature Wargaming has a few good ones too. I kind of wish there were some Team Covenant torment coverage with Miniature Wargaming style editing.
  • JohnnyD144, flaick and Crabbok like this
Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#2 gryph0n

gryph0n

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:11 AM

Try the "MNX" channel (e.g. ).
Nicely edited and commented.

#3 Jon D

Jon D

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:22 AM

Try the Team Covenant coverage of official tournaments.

• AdmiralThrawn and bbalak like this

#4 bbalak

bbalak

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:31 PM

Try the Team Covenant coverage of official tournaments.

I agree, their commentary is great. Fire up the Chromecast with snacks :)

#5 Kelvan

Kelvan

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:47 PM

Watch me lose to Paul Heaver in the Vassal final. He won 2 major tournaments in one day.

• JohnnyD144 likes this

#6 Crabbok

Crabbok

• Members
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:44 PM

I've been working to improve my Battle Reports.   The first few I did were all just summaries of each turn.  I'm now doing more of the actual game, (Movement, Actions, etc) and skipping past the time where we lolleygag and do our maneuver dials.  

My biggest problem now is finding a place at the store I play at, to place my camera.  I end up having to hold it and it's a pain.  

Thanks for this thread, it's good for people like me to know exactly what viewers want to see.  

• JCDisaray and bbalak like this

#7 bbalak

bbalak

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:57 PM

I've been working to improve my Battle Reports.   The first few I did were all just summaries of each turn.  I'm now doing more of the actual game, (Movement, Actions, etc) and skipping past the time where we lolleygag and do our maneuver dials.  

My biggest problem now is finding a place at the store I play at, to place my camera.  I end up having to hold it and it's a pain.  

Thanks for this thread, it's good for people like me to know exactly what viewers want to see.  

I subscribe to your channel as well. Great info.

• Crabbok likes this

#8 Bohrdumb

Bohrdumb

• Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:37 PM

Watch me lose to Paul Heaver in the Vassal final. He won 2 major tournaments in one day.

I have also lost to Paul Heaver. We should start a club.

• Kelvan and JohnnyD144 like this

5 X, 3 B, 2 A, 2 Y, 1 Hwk, 2 Es, 2 Zs

6 TIE, 2 TIE B. 2 Ints, 1 Adv, 1 Defender, 2 Phantoms

#9 Audio Weasel

Audio Weasel

• Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:56 PM

Oh snap, I haven't seen this one yet!

Current Fleet:

Rebel: 4 A-Wings, 4 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290's, 3 YT-1300s, 4 X-Wings, 2 Y-Wing, 1 Tantive IV, 1 Rebel Transport, 4 E-Wing, 5 Z-95 

Imperial:  3 Lambda Shuttles,  2 Firespray-31's, 3 Tie Advanced, 4 Tie Bombers, 6 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Interceptors,   2 Imperials Aces, 4 TIE Phantom, 4 TIE Defender

On Pre-order:2 Z-95, 2 Rebel Aces, 2 YT-2400, 2 Decimator

#10 Audio Weasel

Audio Weasel

• Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:00 PM

I know it's prohibitively expensive to consider, but I can't help but wonder how well it would work shooting using Google Glass?   Maybe I could test by gaffe taping a GoPro to my forehead.  I'm also one of your subscribers.  Loved your vids so far.  You, and a couple of others have made me seriously think about shooting X-Wing and Dreadball batreps for a channel of my own.

• Crabbok likes this

Current Fleet:

Rebel: 4 A-Wings, 4 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290's, 3 YT-1300s, 4 X-Wings, 2 Y-Wing, 1 Tantive IV, 1 Rebel Transport, 4 E-Wing, 5 Z-95 

Imperial:  3 Lambda Shuttles,  2 Firespray-31's, 3 Tie Advanced, 4 Tie Bombers, 6 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Interceptors,   2 Imperials Aces, 4 TIE Phantom, 4 TIE Defender

#11 Kelvan

Kelvan

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:20 PM

I got it close. I almost pulled it off but the dice did not favor my last gambit.

#12 Crabbok

Crabbok

• Members
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:47 PM

I know it's prohibitively expensive to consider, but I can't help but wonder how well it would work shooting using Google Glass?   Maybe I could test by gaffe taping a GoPro to my forehead.  I'm also one of your subscribers.  Loved your vids so far.  You, and a couple of others have made me seriously think about shooting X-Wing and Dreadball batreps for a channel of my own.

Google Glass would free up your hands, but still wouldn't be steady - and likely wouldn't capture the entire field of view like the best Batreps often do.  

My setup in my garage is perfect - I have a high mounted shelf that works well for the camera, but I have nobody to play at home - so unless any of you feel like driving to Orlando for a game of X-Wing then I'm out of luck.  

I'm thinking of trying a batrep vs the AI - see how that pans out.  

#13 Audio Weasel

Audio Weasel

• Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:49 PM

I got it close. I almost pulled it off but the dice did not favor my last gambit.

Started to rewatch it, and realized I have actually seen this one.  Either way, you did play one hell of a game.

Current Fleet:

#14 Audio Weasel

Audio Weasel

• Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:51 PM

Google Glass would free up your hands, but still wouldn't be steady - and likely wouldn't capture the entire field of view like the best Batreps often do.  

My setup in my garage is perfect - I have a high mounted shelf that works well for the camera, but I have nobody to play at home - so unless any of you feel like driving to Orlando for a game of X-Wing then I'm out of luck.  

I'm thinking of trying a batrep vs the AI - see how that pans out.  

Infocomm next year is in Orlando.  I'll probably be there.  If I skip the Crestron party (last year I couldn't, Penn and Teller were the main act)  I'd be up for a game or 2.  I'm lucky, my wife plays too, so I always have someone to play.

• Crabbok likes this

Current Fleet:

#15 DB Draft

DB Draft

• Members
  • 530 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:29 PM

MNX is great...."do a barrel roll" comes up alot in the commentary.

Crabbok does very good reviews and tactical tips as well.

Edited by DB Draft, 16 May 2014 - 07:31 PM.

• Crabbok and catachan23 like this

Nerfherder in Training

#16 Crabbok

Crabbok

• Members
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:54 AM

Here is an example of my new format - which I can only do with the right setup.  This is vs the AI - since I have nobody else to play in my garage at the moment. 

#17 Old Adept

Old Adept

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:47 PM

1- the people playing should be at least as good as me. Nothing kills me more than watching people play and the players obviously don't know the rules or do stupid things like forget how focus works. I wouldn't call myself a great player, but I do know how to play, how the rules work and what the FAQs say.
2- I need to be able to see what is going on. What is the point of watching a video of cool figures if the quality is poor.
3- This is the least important, but I would prefer if their was some good editing, fast forwarding. Not too much. I don't really care for the battle reports where you just get a recap after each turn. I want to see the dice rolls and all, I would prefer if the movement phase went buy a little faster.
The best videos I have seen are the Team Covenant. Miniature Wargaming has a few good ones too. I kind of wish there were some Team Covenant torment coverage with Miniature Wargaming style editing.

Ummm? Do them yourself?
I have NOTHING clever to say.
NO ONE cares about what ships I have.
NO ONE cares if I win or loose.

#18 Sekac

Sekac

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:49 PM

Ummm? Do them yourself?

Suuuper helpful. Great contribution.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS