Things you've learned the hard way

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 zilvar

zilvar

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:09 PM

As a corollary to Chekhov's Gun, don't put the Dragon's starfighter in the scene if you don't want the players to steal it. :)
  • Col. Orange likes this

The Adventures of Bindy'ana Jo'ness.  -  http://zilvar.livejournal.com/tag/rpg

#2 ianinak

ianinak

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:30 PM

My players try to steal every single starship or fighter they come across. 

They even wanted to steal the tyderium shuttle in Mos Shutta in the beginner box.  I have to find ways to creatively destroy other ships, or remind them that killing others and taking their ships is piracy, and even if the owner is dead, there is a good chance that a bank or larger corporation may own the ship.

#3 Krieger22

Krieger22

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:39 AM

I just told my players, "it's exactly as difficult for NPCs to steal your ship as it is for you to steal theirs". They got the hint immediately.
  • Col. Orange, Haggard, Liloki and 7 others like this

#4 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:59 AM

Like overall, or EotE only?

MAGIC HEADPHONES PROTECT ME FROM THE SPACE!

#5 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:02 AM

Let them steal the ships. With each one their bounty (obligation) makes them more the prey.
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point if EU.

#6 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,799 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:32 AM

Let them steal the ships. With each one their bounty (obligation) makes them more the prey.

There are plenty of car thieves IRL that never make it onto most wanted lists. Starships get stolen, and the guys that steal them are not terribly likely to attract a bounty if they're smart about what they take.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#7 MagusRogue

MagusRogue

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:26 AM

I've learned that uttering the words "This is NOT a Dark Side campaign!!!!!!" is merely a suggestion rather than an ultimatum.... *reminded that one of his players is keeping the pickled lekku of the last twi'lek that stole from him... oh and was a pc character too....*

• kryss likes this

#8 kryss

kryss

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:12 AM

I've learned that uttering the words "This is NOT a Dark Side campaign!!!!!!" is merely a suggestion rather than an ultimatum.... *reminded that one of his players is keeping the pickled lekku of the last twi'lek that stole from him... oh and was a pc character too....*

This is so metal

#9 Kaalamity

Kaalamity

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:32 AM

There are plenty of car thieves IRL that never make it onto most wanted lists. Starships get stolen, and the guys that steal them are not terribly likely to attract a bounty if they're smart about what they take.

Last 7 words are the most important here. Sure, the guy jacking a '97 Toyota is not likely to end up on a Most Wanted list.

And a rundown Cloakshape is likely an equivalent to that.

But if we're talking Freighters, or even Cargo Vessels... Those represent 100,000+ Credit investments by someone. Its no longer boosting a car, its Piracy. Which, historically, is a crime much more aggressively prosecuted than grand theft auto. Especially if that freighter belonged to a company and not just a random guy. Because companies love their money.

Take into account the Imperial stance on Piracy is very aggressive - Well, you might be able to steal a ship, but good luck finding someone to take it from you for any reasonable sum of money. Most are likely not to want that sort of heat.

Check out Edge of Tamriel, my TES-themed Edge of the Empire Conversion

#10 Lukey84

Lukey84

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:02 AM

Dont give the NPCs a high amount of credits if you don't want the credits to be stolen.

#11 Split Light

Split Light

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:13 AM

Until somebody accidentally steals the presidents car.  Make one of the ships belong to somebody important.  Bobalux the Hutt is none to keen on having the ship he just bought for a  job stolen right before his men went on a run, thus totally spoiling the job.

#12 Kallabecca

Kallabecca

• Members
  • 756 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:39 AM

We had a shipjacker in the D20 Star Wars game I was in. Stole a ship off a cruise liner we were on. Found out later that it belonged to The Black Sun. The shipjacker's response was to destroy the console he'd looked up the information from and then proceeded to strip the ship of everything he could to destroy any serial numbers and possible trackers on the ship. Then dumped the ship and blew it up.

The police might not put effort into catching a car thief that has stolen one car, but steal a dozen, a hundred... and someone's bound to take notice. That's a lot of cases closed in one arrest, which looks good on their record. That's a bigger fish for some prosecutor to put away, which looks good on his record. So, yes, obligation would start to rise the more ships one stole. It doesn't have to be a Bounty Obligation, it could be Criminal, or heck, even a Family/Dependent Obligation could grow larger as someone takes an interest in you and yours...

And, as others noted, a hot item can't be sold to just anyone, which means taking pennies on the dollar in value from the Fence who will then either scrap it for parts, or recondition it to strip its old identity out before selling it off.

#13 Midnight_X2

Midnight_X2

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:09 PM

Unfortunately ship-stealing syndrome has wrecked the economy of more than one d6 game I've run (first EotE coming up soon). I had to get creative about the heroes not being able to track down where an NPC's ship was located or being so pressed for time (outrun the Empire) that they didn't have time to slice the lock and get onboard.

I tried one of the ideas mentioned above an had a stolen ship be the property of a major crime lord. The heroes didn't worry because they know I'll never hit them with odds they can't prevail over (the heroes are the heroes after all). If they try to go shipjacking in the next campaign I'm going to have to reluctantly bring the hammer down to prevent massive PC credit inflation early in the campaign.

#14 RogueCorona

RogueCorona

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:33 PM

Until somebody accidentally steals the presidents car.  Make one of the ships belong to somebody important.  Bobalux the Hutt is none to keen on having the ship he just bought for a  job stolen right before his men went on a run, thus totally spoiling the job.

The thing is identifying a specific ship as being one that was stolen isn't easy unless its a rare model, or has some very rare mods on it. Otherwise a little paint and a transponder change and all hope of identifying a ship as a stolen one is gone

#15 Jamwes

Jamwes

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:02 PM

The thing is identifying a specific ship as being one that was stolen isn't easy unless its a rare model, or has some very rare mods on it. Otherwise a little paint and a transponder change and all hope of identifying a ship as a stolen one is gone

The trick is, how hard is the transponder code change? How much will that cost? When completed, how good is it? Can the law still see through it with a high enough roll or enough time researching it?

#16 kinnison

kinnison

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:18 PM

When my players decided to scrub the Transponders on the Krayt Fang, they were allowed to do it for 10k credits, but also it was quite clear they were no longer welcomed around tatooine, and we asked to go somewhere else FAR AWAY

often ultimatums work better.  And if they really like shipjacking, have a crime boss contact them into stealing a BIG ship, then double cross them.

"The is a Star Destroyer being worked on in one of my shipyards.  I always wanted a star Destroyer of my own"

Check out my current Campaign:

The Minos Cluster

Last session 8/9/14 'Beyond the Rim: Prologue'

Last Update 8/22/14

#17 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:09 PM

I akin starship theft to the wild west act of horse theft. Considered a heinous act.

Now people take my comment as if an ironfisted tyrant said it, rather than with a grain of salt. If the players want to steal EVERY ship, there should be some repercussions to that. If everytime the krayt fang (or the players ship) docks a starship is stolen, someone will accuse the party. TROOPS said it best: all suspects are guilty. Period. Otherwise, they wouldn't be suspects.
  • Jamwes and Dramar like this
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point if EU.

#18 zilvar

zilvar

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:48 PM

This is the first ship that the players wanted to steal, and it just so happened to belong to the imperial sympathizer cousin of one of the characters. It was bound to happen

Of course it too the wind out of my 'the Dragon will chase them down in his starfighter and there will be an epic battle' plans... :). Next time, Tu'la'loo... Next time
  • kaosoe likes this

The Adventures of Bindy'ana Jo'ness.  -  http://zilvar.livejournal.com/tag/rpg

#19 Dark Bunny Lord

Dark Bunny Lord

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:32 PM

I'd let my players attempt it, but it shouldn't be any means ever be even remotely easy, especially not enough to happen more than once every blue moon.
I mean for one ships tend to be registered and changing that should be an expensive and time consuming chore in itself, their owners are going to be pretty attached to them meaning very likely bounty, selling them will be even more difficult as not many people will beither A) looking for a starship let alone capable of affording one and B) possibly wary of buying one without proper documentation of it's history given the Empires strict punishments for piracy. Lastly let's not forget that most are going to be in starports which are bound to have things like maintence crews or droids, cameras, etc that could just as easily catch them in the act and get them a record or at least evidence for bounty hunters to follow up on later.
I don't like saying no to my players and so I don't think it should be impossible for them to get away without consequence, but such an event should not be easy, and should require a large investiment of time and money as well as a clever plan.

#20 Kirdan Kenobi

Kirdan Kenobi

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:14 PM

In both my games, the party has successfully pirated the pirates...who traditionally are fair game.

"Who's scruffy lookin'"

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS