Your Favorite Sphere and Why

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 767 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:57 PM

Tactics first, then leadership and lore equal and spirit I really don't care for. Don't get me wrong there are fantastic spirit cards (ones that I use as well) its just my least favorite and to me the least interesting.

~Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul~

~One ring to cover the lands in complete and utter misery, one ring for the dark lord to work his wretched trickery~

#22 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 805 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:21 PM

Tactics first, then leadership and lore equal and spirit I really don't care for. Don't get me wrong there are fantastic spirit cards (ones that I use as well) its just my least favorite and to me the least interesting.

I feel very similarly in regards to spirit.  I get it, its a good sphere but also kind of vanilla and straight forward.  Even though tactics is singularly focused on what it does combat is funner and generally involves more decision making than say, exhausting during the quest phase

• PsychoRocka likes this

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#23 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 767 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:23 PM

I feel very similarly in regards to spirit.  I get it, its a good sphere but also kind of vanilla and straight forward.  Even though tactics is singularly focused on what it does combat is funner and generally involves more decision making than say, exhausting during the quest phase

Precisely! I couldn't have said it better

~Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul~

~One ring to cover the lands in complete and utter misery, one ring for the dark lord to work his wretched trickery~

#24 Mich the One

Mich the One

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:08 AM

for me it is lore. I just feel this is the sphere where most extraordinary things can happen, lots of card manipulation, draw, gives you a feeling of being in control and having lots of options. Also, my favourite powerful allies are lore: Haldir, Gildor, Angborn.

Spirit I also like a lot. I think it complements lore the best. And the lore-spirit combination fits best to the (from lack of a better term) values of the free peoples of Middle-earth. I mean that it often is not the brute force (tactics) or vast resources (leadership) but the knowledge, wits and determination (to me lore & spirit) that give heroes the advantage over the Shadow. But it is purely subjective. No offence to tactic and leadership fans ;)
  • DurinIII likes this

#25 Morithain

Morithain

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:30 AM

My top three favorite spheres are:

1.  Lore.

2.  Lore.

3.  Lore.

Oh, and Spirit is a close second because it's an essential add to any deck.  Unexpected Courage, Test of Will--you really can't do without these.  

Leadership gets a special mention, of course--why?  Because SNEAK ATTACK--GANDALF!

That said, I just put together a Spirit-Leadership deck (Éowyn, Théodred, and Dúnhere) and I'm enjoying it a lot, mainly because it has the resource pull that I'm always missing in my Lore decks.  Of course, playing it, I find I'm seriously lacking in card draw, so it's a tradeoff.  lol.

#26 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 04:37 PM

Lore.. no question.

Lore has the most powerful effect in card games, card draw / deck manipulation. Any deck, of ANY sphere is smoother with a lore splash. Lore improves any deck it is in.

With the addition of the traps and ranger subset they are now even able to handle large attack needs on their own. The last remaining weakness. They quest, have great support, and most importantly even beyond card draw is they are the sphere for encounter deck control. Oh yeah, they also have the heals.

Control decks rule.

If there was a sphere I would call a Generalist sphere, then it is lore.. dose a bit of everything. Great for solo players.

Edited by booored, 21 May 2014 - 04:42 PM.

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#27 Pennblade

Pennblade

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:55 PM

For myself, I tend to play Leadership. I enjoyed the Gandalf-Sneak Attack combo. That brought me deeper into the sphere. It wasn't until I realized that resource management cards like the Steward of Gondor allowed for mighty, powerful armies. When I play, I usually find myself amassing a large group of allies while the other player I usually play with is struggling to just pay for a Citadel Plate. They're also the best at being ready to drop Gandalf in the Core Set un-Sneak style.

Leadership seems like it is the best of most worlds. I admit it lacks when it comes to threat management, but what sphere is perfect? 

#28 Johnny Awesome

Johnny Awesome

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:26 AM

I like all the Spheres, but play Spirit the most, mainly because there are a ton of little decisions to be made all the time.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS